Masters Running

GPS units banned from racing!!! (Read 462 times)

coastwalker

Well, not yet. But I copied the following from a racewalking forum because I never new about it, and I don't know if it will become an issue in racing in general or not. The post was written from the perspective of racewalking, but I believe it applies to all road races. So far, this regulation, like the one prohibiting headphones in road races, is rarely enforced. Dave is correct, Garmin, or any other GPS unit, is banned by USATF rules. Here is the relevant text from rule 144 point 2: "Except as provided in road races (Rule 241) and in long distance walking events (Rule 232), during the progress of an event a competitor who has received any assistance whatsoever from any other person may be disqualified by the Referee. Assistance is the conveying of advice, information or direct help to an athlete by any means, including a technical device. [...] Note 2: Competitors may carry or wear articles of personal equipment such as wrist chronometers and heart rate monitors" Rule 144 point 3(f) adds, as forms of assistance that are not allowed: "The visible possession or use by athletes of video or audio cassette recorders or players, TV's, CD or DVD players, radio transmiters or receivers, mobile phones, computers, or any similar devices in the competition area. Rule 232 point 3(d) provides an explicit list of banned devices for race walking: "Athletes shall not use video or cassette recorders or players, TV's, CD or CD-ROM players, radio transmitters or receivers, mobile phones, computers, or any similar devices during the competetion." Since a GPS unit is a radio receiver coupled with a computer, and it provides information and advice, it falls under the list of banned technical devices. Note that a modern watch and a modern heart rate monitor would also be classified as banned technical devices, but they are explicitly allowed by Note 2 of rule 144 point 2. I am a certified USATF Official (national level), and I have been at an event where the umpires pointed out such a violation to the referee and the person with the GPS was required to remove it from the field of competition. The referee decided on this course of action because it was discovered before athlete's event started, and no advantage was gained by the athlete. I believe that a pedometer enhanced watch (or heart rate monitor), such as Nike Triax Elite HRM/SDM is also a banned technical device, for much the same reasons as a GPS. Interesting, eh? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

No metronomes either!!

Runners run

Jay, thanks for the info. Wow. I second what Ilene said Tongue She knows why!

#artbydmcbride

Big grin

Runners run

wouldn't that (no metronomes) put our beloved tet at a disadvantage? p.s. doesn't the word metronomes make you think of urban-hipster little people in hoodies? Big grin
            Masters 2000 miles
            xor

urban-hipster little people in hoodies
              But I look good in a hoody.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

But I look good in a hoody.
                . . . especially if it's your fund-raising pink. aamos - It's been a while since I was using that ear-clip tetronome when you were up here crushing the lady ag'ers in the Seattle Marathon, Seafair, etc. but I've finally got the 180 steps/minute you and others do so naturally ingrained in my brain too. I just hope they don't ban it! ps - we miss you so much especially on the out-and-backs, expos, carbos, etc. Maybe you can join the huge boomer reunion for the new Seattle Rock 'n' Roll in June.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

Thay can never ban your brain, tetsujin! Smile Or you Metro-gnomes either. Big grin

Runners run

xor

Actually, being a metro-gnome really means that I possess the style and sophistication of being a gnome without necessarily embracing all aspects of the gnome lifestyle.

evanflein

Or you Metro-gnomes either. Big grin
                      I love gnomes!! Big grin

#artbydmcbride

Actually, being a metro-gnome really means that I possess the style and sophistication of being a gnome without necessarily embracing all aspects of the gnome lifestyle.
                        Ah..I see! Big grin NTTAWWT

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, my, they would have to pry my Garmie from my dead body! Shocked I need to see those hundredths of a mile clicking by to know I'm actually moving forward!
                            "Gnomes now, is it?" - Mr. Tweedy, Chicken Run who needs medicinal maryjane when you can just come to RA Masters???
                              NOT to be confused with the Underwear Gnomes who beleagued poor Tweak on South Park.
                              Masters 2000 miles