Masters Running

Monday's "Start the countdown" Daily, 12.30.13 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

My apologies to Ribs for not acknowledging his anniversary yesterday. She certainly is a Saint, isn't she? Congrats to you both for 28 years of togetherness.

I remember when Gallowwalkers were frowned upon as lesser runners (they may still be in some quarters). Now, there seems to be more tolerance for almost anyone who wants to participate in a half or full marathon. On the other hand, there are also many who remind us that these are races, and the goal is to 'compete,' and not just to 'participate.'

Gorgeous photo of Mariposai and Mike and the crew yesterday! Looks like everyone was having fun on sticks.

How nice to see Starr back here again! I love the sight of bob houses on a frozen lake. Some of those folks get pretty elaborate, with heaters, cookers, lights, etc. Sounds like you and your DH had a great Christmas.

Nice running in tough conditions, Evanflein. Looks like your 2200 for the year is in the bag.

Great gift, Stumpy!

Most Mondays are a SRD for me, and today was no exception. We got some rain last night, and I didn't know if it would freeze on the roads overnight, so making the decision to not do the slippy-slidy thing wasn't all that difficult. That cold front moves into the northeast tonight, so the next week or so is going to be a bit more chilly. That means that if we get any serious wind from the west (where it often originates), there is a good chance the pipes to our washing machine may freeze. They have extra insulation on the outside wall, but apparently that is still not enough. Next, we may have to open up the inside wall and wrap electrical heater tape around the pipes. There is always something...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Good Morning.  I've been a little busy on vacation to check on things here, but yesterday I started getting a scraping noise in my brakes so now I am sitting in repair shop in Old Town Alexandria.  I hope it isn't too bad.  Cindy will have to entertain Annabelle in the hotel until we get wheels again.  (If it takes too long, we could always use public transportation so I'm not too worried.)

Saturday was a beautiful sunny day.  I ran a mile on the treadmill and then we took the Metro train to the National Zoo.

Sunday was downpour day.  The treadmills were busy and after a short wait, I just ran outside for about 1.1 miles.  Got pretty wet but it felt good.  We went to a place called Imagination Stage in Bethesda and watched a musical for kids called "Lyle the Crocodile."  Based on some children's books.  Lots of fun.

That leaves my official log at 999.23 for the year.  The log on RA is 999.1 because I either messed up an entry or from rounding the 100ths,  Not sure when or if I will run today.

I think I will sign on to work while I am sitting here and take care of some things.  I didn't have enough vacation left for this whole trip, but I work a lot extra, and I canceled vacation at this time last year for a big project so my boss said to just go have a good time but try to be available if a problem comes up.

Tramps

I wasn't sure what to make of Ribs' mention of 28 years of marriage and "American Hustle" in the same sentence.

Mariposai does seem to have fun, doesn't she?  Great pic.

Hi Starr.

C-R no racing on the horizon; just minimal base miles.

Dave--You are getting out for that last 3/4 mile, right?

Some happy Packers fans this morning, no doubt. Nice to have some meaningful games yesterday on the last weekend of the season.  Around here the betting pools are about how quickly Mike Shanahan gets fired...and walks away with a wheelbarrow full of money for not coaching.

EZ 5, which is my new routine.

ETA: betting has closed; done deal.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Jay, Dave and all to follow. Sorry about the car problems Dave.  Best to have working breaks though, especially with precious cargo in the car like Annabelle, right?

Sorry about your cold weather issues Jay. It was -12° here this morning with an expected "high" later on of 2. Supposed to be like this all week. It's always depressing when I get in my car to drive to the Y in the morning and watch the temp drop on my car thermometer.  At least the sun is out!

Great picture of Mariposai and the gang yesterday. And nice to see Starr's post. Holly - you're a good mom, you know that?

Due to cold temps and still feeling carpy, I went to the Y this morning. Started out on the elliptical but was then cajoled by one of my co-workers to running a few miles on the track. I did what my lungs would allow without a total collapse. So 4 miles on the elliptical and 3 miles on the track with a quick 15 minutes of core work.

I know a lot of you folks don't follow the NFL, but that Packer game yesterday was something else. I'm sure there are a lot of angry Chicago fans after that fluke play that resulted in a Packer touchdown. But for some reason, everything worked in their favor and they get to play another game - at home - next Sunday. And the extended forecast? A "high" of 10°  Welcome San Francisco!

Tramps - let's see who's gone after Black Monday is over!

Ribs, congrats to your Jets for winning yesterday.  A night and day difference from how the Jets played their first Fins game.  The Dolphins really choked the last two games against two of the lesser Teams in the league and that really surprised me given the way the rest of the season went.  Disappointing, but it just took care of the inevitable loss a bit earlier than planned.  I hope they don't fire the Coach today.  I like him and his style, but results are the only thing that  matter.

I've been in Florida for 36 years (moving North in 2014) and the Dolphins never won the Super Bowl once - the only got to the game one time in Marino's second season.

Speaking of Gallowalking, a good friend of mine ran his first Marathon yesterday (in Jacksonville), and the 3:30 Pacer was doing the Run/Walk thing.  4 minutes at 7:30 pace, followed by 30 seconds walking.  None of the pace group had trained with Gallowalking so everyone (including my friend) smartly ran their own races.  He ended up BQ'ing with a 3:27.  He's mid 50's and a very good runner, Traithlete, and Coach.  I thing he's training for his first Ironman.  There's nothing wrong with Gallowalking IMO but you do need to train that way to race that way.

3 miles at EZ pace this morning.  I'm not going to make 1,000 for the year but that's OK.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

be strong dave. ..... do not run.......... I dare you......... I'm not for tammy. ..(and me).......... It's easy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps jeanne - we know what you mean but in our case (Seattle), it's fluke referees , e.g. steelers / packers. GO PACKERS! / let's meet again

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

A very quick, quick post since I am running late for work.

7 crunchy snow smile miles chatting away with my RP. We were so  "chatty" that I did not felt the earthquake that happened here. A small 3.3 quake.

Why did I run 7 miles after a 16 miler yesterday? To get to the 1800 miles mark for 2013, of course Smile

I will be back, I promise.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Tramps. On FB I did note that the greatest American hustle of all was getting her to stay with me for 28 years. I appreciate all the kind comments.

Bill, the Jets played way better than anyone anticipated they would for this season, and I agree the Dolphins last two losses were surprising, Buffalo especially.

2.4 easy miles in the park this morning, 30 degrees, sunny and still.  Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Good morning, all.

I should have kept some walk breaks in my running training.  Got all cocky and piled one stupid idea upon the next late last week.  Since Mom was sleeping in in my bedroom, I decided not to wake her up to get my orthotics, and just put on my trail shoes instead.  Then I grabbed the dog, who loves to run fast.  Then I went down to the waterfront and decided "enough is enough" and that I'd shuck off my Slow Me in one fell swoop and went for seven glorious quick kilometres.  On pavement.

Have been in ankle pain ever since and it's my own damn fault.  But I swam today and will spin tonight and we'll see about a nice easy shuffle, in orthotics, on dirt, sans dog and watch, tomorrow.

I just added up my vacation time and realized I've been hoarding enough to take a longer break than I did this Christmas, but here I am back in the office, where it's mercifully quiet.  Maybe after I put out a few smouldering embers that will burst into flame if I continue to hope they'll Just Go Away, I'll daydream about an extended break or two, somewhere warm and sunny.

Jay, Mom has spent much of the last year rebuilding from a double knee replacement. She blew out the last 5000m her knees had in 'em at the Auckland Triathlon World Championships (she went bronze in her AG!) and went under the knife in February.  She's been cycling up a storm all summer and is riding mountain passes for fun now.  <boggle>.  She jogged her first 100 steps with me at Thetis last week and is talking about using racewalking instead of run/walking as she looks at a full tri season this year.  It looks like such a delicate art-form.  How long did it take you to master the different movement?

This morning I had in mind an 8 mile run with 5 at tempo.  I am terrible at running tempo paced miles outside of a race.  Alas, despite my good intentions today was no different.  I packed it in after a mile.  So 7 at a casual conversational pace and 1 at tempo.  I was reminded by one of my running partners that having donated blood six days ago I am almost certainly not fully recovered.  I hope that is it.  Either that or I have to figure out how to convince my body and mind or both or whatever that if I can run a HM at tempo pace I can certainly run 5 miles at tempo pace.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

After I got new front brakes...(I guess I should have had the car checked out before traveling)... we hit the Children's Museum, dinner at Chuckie Cheese (because we promised), then a swim in the pool.

I squeezed in a mile on the hotel TM to get me over 1000.

One more night & day with the kid.  I think we really wore her out.  She could sleep the whole 12 hour drive back to Tallahassee.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - well done!

Twocat - you made me laugh....

Busy work day, able to "make a miracle happen" for a client - left my heart feeling warm.....

Spent 1.5 hours on the phone with my brother from VA after work.  Love that guy - wish I saw him more often....

No run for me today - 35 minutes of weights and core instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Back to the real world.  Spent a few quiet days after Christmas with the kids at the cabin. The weather was actually quite nice, it even got up to 48F or so on one day, with sunshine too.  I ran my 5 mile steep trail one day, and then 7 miles along a forest service road the next, which tuckered me out.   The sound of gunshots from target practice along that road kind of freaked me out.  Other than running, I soaked in the hottub (raccoons had somehow turned it off (not kidding, they jiggled the cord), so it took awhile to heat back up), ate a lot and slept a lot.  It is so dark here these days!!!   ZZzzzz

Just had a big dinner, so not likely to run tonight.

Nice picture Mari!

Nice times with Annabelle, Dave

Congrats to SR on hustling the Saint for 28 years.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BTY

Fly by post to say Hello and Happy New Year to my all of my friends here.  The past 18 months have been a little different for me, as I've been recuperating from a hip injury (not specifically running related) and a torn rotator cuff (not specifically strength training related) so my running miles are just now getting back up to 20/wk, and my visits to the gym are typically 50% stretching, 25% core work, and the remainder a mix of strecgth training and shoulder physical therapy.  I avoided surgery on both the hip and the shoulder and hope to keep it that way!

Monday's run was a challenge due not so much to the physical ailments - they are both doing pretty well at this time - but due to the freezing up of the slushy snow that covered the bike path along the Hudson between Menands and Albany.  There were some areas where the path was 100% ice, an inch thick, and other areas where it was completely clear, but for the most part it was only passable by running on the 2 foot wide portion that was a white, crunchy, glaze on top of the black ice.  In the crisp air I'm sure I could be heard from a long distance away, but being the only fool out there, my crunching went unnoticed by anyone but the birds, and the other little critters who were evident only by their frozen tracks along the trail.

Brian.  (No longer Better than Yesterday but scratching and clawing all the way....)