Masters Running

Mon 2/25 runs and such.... (Read 606 times)

munchkn883

Nice little 2.5 mile walk pushing Taylor in the stroller. My friend Anne joined us. We always have a great time. Weather was nice and sunny.
      In the meantime, here's how dive and I get into cycling shape after a winter of tapering, . . . and it's not even the steepest hill of the annual 33 mile Chilly Hilly around Bainbridge Island. Seattle Times photo
      Tet, I'm envious you tackled Chilly yet again. That's a great shot. Is that Baker Hill Road? That's where my gear slipped and I toppled over when I cycled over there a few weekends ago. Try getting going in clips on that hill after you stop! ((Tet's superman quads)) Smile
      btb1490

In the meantime, here's how dive and I get into cycling shape after a winter of tapering, . . . and it's not even the steepest hill of the annual 33 mile Chilly Hilly around Bainbridge Island.
        tet, there is a job opening with your name all over it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBZmLzv9NKQ
          I think that's more like "feeling like a wife/mother"....Smile
          Touché! Actually, I find that I really don't need to work out these days -- I get exhausted enough just reading your posts. "Let's shampoo the carpets before going into work?" Sheesh. Wink

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I
            That's a great shot. Is that Baker Hill Road? That's where my gear slipped and I toppled over when I cycled over there a few weekends ago. Try getting going in clips on that hill after you
            Soundie - the Seattle Times photo actually turns out to be on one of the minor hills, Arrow Point Drive at mile 13.5 just below the half way rest/feed stop at Battle Point Park. However, I am flabergasted that you could actually tackle those mountainous ascents outside the incentive of a formal event. On one of 'em, Dave said he'd wait for me at the top of but when I got up to where he was a half mile later, the road turned left and kept going up for another 1/4 mile! He's been doing nothing but the elliptical for more than two months so maybe it's good for cycling (as long as coupled with a lot of natural talent!). Incidentally, most all of the spills we see during the ride occur chaning gears goin' up the hills and nobody I've ever seen can get going again like you did so most just join pushing-bike-up crowd. Dive and I made sure to shift down at the bottoms and did it near a driveway if possible to get a running start again when needed (me - 3 times; dive - once).Smile ================ Tammy - August is a great running month around Seattle with everything on your weekends to provide something different from the typical road race including several super-sprint triathlons (with my favorite swim distance of 1/4 mile along with 12-14 mile bike and ~5K run), two trail runs (Friday Harbor - 8.8K; Redmond Water Preserved - 5/10mile) and the Cascade Crest 100 miler! let's see what the www.ontherunevents.com has listed by the time of Eugene. ============ thank btb - will view ============ ps - I'm with roch; do they give mileage credit for postings?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Thanks for checking out the schedule Tet. Even if there is nothing that particular weekend that is convenient for me to race, I'm hoping for a PNW Boomer run, with whoever can make it, around Greenlake a few times, or a Discovery Park run.

Tammy

SteveP

SteveP- what did you hurt on your run yesterday? How are you feeling today? Enjoy your Monday all! Smile
                First of all..Get well quick like. Over the weekend's race, I tighted a strap a little much. It changed my normal gait. 24 hours was not enough time to recoup.
                SteveP (again)- waxing for Florida? Confused
                Though it wasn't mentioned in the RR, my back hair kept getting caught in the snowshoes. No part of that could possibly be pleasant. As we want to spend family time at the beach, I'd just as soon not let my back hair get tangled in my swim suit.

SteveP

Oh my goodness! I just spit coffee onto my keyboard. Steve!!! Here I am drinking some afternoon coffee, catching up on the posts, day dreaming about Seattle, thinking of ways to create an all RA/Kick/Boom-Masters relay etc and then I read your post. My son is wondering why I am dabbing furiously at my computer now. I needed the grin and now I have the rush to get the rest of today's work done. BTB----I hope you are feeling better? You are so fabulous about cheering for all of us. Let us cheer for you now. You too biketm.....Be good to yourself. Back to swabbing the keyboard..... CNY
                  Mariposai

I'm sure there's bound to be a race somewhere in Seattle during that time, right?
                    If not... you can always join my family in hiking the wonderland trail around MT. Reineer. It is only 92 miles around the mountain and it would be a great training for those gorgeous legs for your fall marathon. Tetsujin-I am so glad to see that you had a fantastic bike ride yesterday. You are one tough dude my taper boy. Oh!!!!! and ... thank you for the one of the kind "Paraguay Marathon" t-shirt you made for me. You are one terrific friend my dear compadre.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Does swabbing the keyboard count as cross-training? Big grin I'm sure carpet cleaning does! Seemom, how do you manage with white carpets? And kids and dogs??? Shocked The first floor of our house has a concrete floor, colored and pattern-stamped to look like tile. Easy to clean and take care of. And it has radiant heat - hot water circulates through tubing poured in the concrete, so its warm. We have a couple of oriental rugs in the sitting area, but other than that, it's just concrete tile. No way would I have white carpet. I ran an easy 3 miles at lunch. I tried a new trail for some variety, but it was concrete and followed a small creek in between the back yards of suburban houses, so not too exciting. I made the mistake of eating german chocolate cake an hour before I ran - there was a birthday celebration at work, and they brought out the cake before lunch, instead of after. Next time I'll save a piece of cake for after the run. Tongue

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

GreenMan

Nice ride and pic, Tet {{{Biketm}}} {{{Soundie's ouchie}}} {{{Steve's waxing}}} First run in a week, 3 miles untimed. About 40 minutes XT, mostly elliptical Still some pre-race twinges lingering, but healing is happening. jjj
                        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                        TammyinGP

If not... you can always join my family in hiking the wonderland trail around MT. Reineer. It is only 92 miles around the mountain and it would be a great training for those gorgeous legs for your fall marathon.
                          fall marathon? did I sign up for a fall marathon? Surprised and "only" and "92 miles" doesn't make sense to me when talking in the context of running or hiking. It makes sense if I were to say for example, I'm flying my Comanche out to the coast, after all it's only 92 miles away". see the difference dear butterfly sistah?

Tammy

Tet, if that's one of the smaller hills, I bow down to you. And I definitely think Dive had the advantage from the eliptical. That sneak. Wink And ya know what? I went back and looked at the picture again and was pretty darn sure I spied my friend and former marathon training partner AY (we even ran Chicago, Boston 04 and Newport together) in the photo, second from front, so I e-mailed him. Sure enough, he hadn't yet seen the photo, and it's him! Smile He's been trying to talk me into the STP bike ride this year...looking at him in the photo, I'm now having second thoughts. Shocked CNY -- Seattle daydreaming? you can always e-mail me for daydreaming help... soundrunner 1012 at yahoo dot com (need to put that in my profile). Evil grin Steve - where's that hairy photo? Waxing only hurts the first time. JJJ -- great to hear that you ran today. (getting very little done today...) 12 smilies. I'm on a record roll.
                            SteveP

Evil grin Steve - where's that hairy photo? Waxing only hurts the first time. .
                              No hairy photos, just my swim suit

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

batboy - no matter what the goddess's say/promise, do not post any photos of you in that swimming suit! jjj - sorry what I said about kilts, . . . not sure about cycling in them though! ==================
                                "only" and "92 miles" don't make sense to me when talking in the context of running or hiking.
                                tammy - it's mari's running for joy has nothing to do with distance. Smile In fact, she signed up for this year's Mt. Spokane run when she found out last year on the butterfly girls relay team that the ascent part was "only" the last 14 miles (I "only" made it to mile 30). Maybe we can get her over to this side of the Cascades if Soundie can lead us around her regular routes at Discovery Park and Green Lake. ================== sounder - nice about AY, . . . and be sure to do the STP Seattle-to-Portland ride if possible. ================== . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)