Masters Running

Monday June 15 Runs and Other Assorted Activities (Read 33 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

No run for me today, just a rest day.  I go in at 9:45 so I have some time to fuss about the house.  Here is a picture I posted yesterday on FB of my tiny garden - onions, kale, spinach, tomatoes and sweet basil.  And weeds.  For such a tiny garden, though, it is a great producer, and will give me two harvests.  I wash and stuff the kale and spinach into freezer bags, freeze, then use them in my smoothies (still loving my Nutribullet).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Still thinking about that pulled pork Steve said he was going to throw into the smoker.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

What was it that you were up so early for?

I planted my "garden" yesterday.  Not nearly as impressive as Holly's (or anyone else around here it seems).  three tomato plants in containers, a cucumber plant and pumpkin plant.  Used to do more with the tomatoes, but I got wilt a few years ago and it not worth putting plants in the ground.

Well, it's a rainy day AND a Monday here.  fortunately, I ran yesterday.  7.1 miles with a 10° increase over the hour+ I was out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Morning Holly, Stumpy, and everyone else.

This is just a quick walk-by to wish Holly a uneventful and successful procedure today, and a great meal tonight!

We have a tomato plant we're working on, and some herbs in pots on the deck. We're not very good veggie gardeners.

I had planned to head out for a workout this morning, thinking that I could have beat the rain. But I slept really poorly last night, and decided that I needed some more zzzs more than I needed the workout. Tomorrow's another day...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Today was a gym day.  Little bit of a warm-up on the ARC trainer and then some weights.

I was told that if you plant Reese's Pieces you get Reese's Cup plants.  I have a few rows of those planted but nothing is coming up yet.  You have to be careful because too much sun will produce the crunchy version and no one likes those.

http://www.modernvictorygarden.com/photos/HIdden%20Album/Jan%2023%202010%20008.jpg

mrrun

Since I couldn't run today - twocat's RULE and I refuse to dig dirt in the rain also, it's a catch-up day here.  Our garden is a combo of a few tomato plants and some herbs along with whatever else I decide to plant - the rest I depend on the farmers markets.

some pics from France - vineyard where they use stones to keep the soil warm in day & cool at night  the rose bush is a warning of disease

Roman ruins in Arles

Avignon - Sur le pont d'Avignon, on y danses

Paris - locks on the Pont Neuf bridge that were being cut off the day we were there

frog's legs - one of the appetizers on the riverboat

King of PhotoShop

Good luck today Holly. When you're done, get something to eat.  Then get a new doctor.  The procedures for prep have changed over the years and no reason for what you went through.

Wife and son off to Austin for UT orientation. She comes home tonight. He comes home Wednesday.  Yesterday he worked 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Container Store, then went to the supermarket and worked til closing, 11 p.m., long day for him.

2 solo recovery miles for me this morning in the park. Packed and ready for Cleveland.  Spareribs

Slo

I was in Paris in 1984. I have pictures of Jim Morrison Grave. I opted out of the Lourve Musem tour...Priorities of a 19 year old.

Holly, I'd love to have a garden. We made and attempt last year but between the rabbits and neighbor kids it was a bust.

No run...I wittnessed a 3/4 inch in 15 mins rainfall from indoors. We're soaked...no more please.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

marj - I wouldn't want to say I've done it in some restaurants in Japan and China but do they also serve something from turtles that looks like wine with the frog you had in France?

dave - thanks for the great planting idea for next GS visit.

However, planting Reese Cups seems more an indication of disease that roses in rocks.

Rhoon - I guess it's still a little early for the delicious red salmon fish food to be reaching Brooks Falls but will there be a bear cam link again this year?  Glad you survived the winter.  I read your "14 Days to Alaska" on one of my ten-hour flights to Japan this winter.  Love it when someone else loves it up there, especially where you are, . . . and your family too.  What are you flying now?

posie - sure a sunny day in Seattle in case anybody is interested

in a sunset run along the shores of Elliott Bay.

ps holly - you are one tough cookie.

there should be reality show about you.

Oh, I guess there is: everyday right here.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. good luck with your checkup.  I hope it turns out to be a colossal waste of time.

rhoon phast long time to read!  How are the bears doing?

SteveP that is my goal, have the babies fly off, destroy the nest and put in something to stop any new nests from getting put in.

Dave59 

mrrun good call, "No running in the rain!" ©

Writing of rain, it was pouring when I got up and will be raining steadily all day.  So due to the first rule of running, "No running in the rain!" © I opted for the elliptical.  I figure I can run tomorrow between the intermittent rain storms we are supposed to get and then again Wednesday morning when it is supposed to be nice and sunny!    After that it will be off to Seattle for a conference.  tetsujin209 I sent you an RA message, but word on the net is that you might not find it without a prompt.  So, here is the prompt!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good job in your 10K, jlynne.  It was great to hear of the meetup and nice racing with Jay, marj, and henrun.  Holly, I hope it went well today.  wild, nice marathon.  steve, happy birthday to your wife.  My wife's garden is doing well.  We've had asparagus and rhubarb.  Tomatoes, leaf lettuce, peppers, onions, and whatever else she planted are coming along well.

Nice long runs for Holly, Dave, Twocat, mari, ribs, Slo, Aamos, and CNY.

This morning, it was in the low 70s, there was just a light breeze, and it was humid.  I did 5 miles at an 11:32 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. good luck with your checkup.  I hope it turns out to be a colossal waste of time.

It did, actually, which is what we all hope for, right?  No cancer, no polyps, come back in 10 years.  The most difficult part of the procedure itself was not unusual for me - they couldn't get a vein to put the IV in.  I have small veins to begin with, and fasting and doing without water for several hours prior to anesthetic always makes it twice as hard.  Two nurses poked at me and failed, and I had to wait for the anesthesiologist, who put the IV into my hand (ouch!).

Tet -   But my live is no more interesting than anyone else's - I just babble about it more....

Dave -

Marj - love pictures!  But I admit I am not brave enough to try frog's legs.  I am a bit of a culinary wimp.

mrrun

Holly - no news is good news!  Only one of our 4 children liked the frogs legs - while they all liked the desserts!

tet - the only other 'strange' food we had was escargots - also scrumptious - but what can be bad with lots of butter & garlic

dave - like the reeses for planting.  when i planted potatoes when my daughter was about 4, she thought they would come up as french fries

tselbs and others - nice gardens

slo - right priorities for a 19 yo - you remember that more then the mona lisa

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tet - but what can be bad with lots of butter & garlic

marj - sad but true.
                              A fish camp cook once told me, “I could deep fry shoe leather and you guys would like it.”
                              ps - I'll try the potato/french fry one on GS too.

Twocat - thanks for the prompt. However, could you resend that pm e-mail and clarify that “next week” is next week and not this week when I’m heading up for some fishing, hiking and fun with grandson the day-after-tomorrow (Wednesday). However, the summer round trips are only $180 and I can guarantee at least at 30-pound king salmon to take back for the rosie ruiz barbeque if you can stay and come up for the weekend too.
                              Holly - I might get interested in TV again if they had a running channel with a program about everyone in here.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Gee, all these RA peeps coming up to Canada.  Wave on the way by, eh?

Good looking garden, Holly!  We finally got the last of the peppers in this last weekend.  There are beans, peas, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, swiss card, coriander, basil and hot peppers.  And lots and lots of tomatoes.   DH jury-rigged a drip system this year from some old soaker hoses to cut down on the blight problem on the tomatos.  And of course the lettuce is gorgeous now.... will be bolting by the time the tomatos and cukes are ready to go with it.

Been slowly building the miles and adding to the tempo and interval runs.  16 mile LR on Saturday and planned 4 miles of tempo today.  Brought clothing that was too warm for the conditions to work and made the mistake of attending a retirement party just before heading to the TM in the gym.  The tempo bit got cut short at 3.5 miles, as the little bit of pizza I had didn't sit well.  Got in 5.5 miles total.

Question... have any of you had occasion to try to repair a hydration bladder?  My 2L Ultaspire reservoir sprung a pin hole leak a couple of weeks back, making my LR a rather soggy-assed affair. DH wants to use his Aquaseal fishing wader sealant on them, but am a bit concerned about toxics leaching into the pack.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!