Masters Running

Groundhog Day, 2.2.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I did see my shadow in the light if a bright half moon this morning, but I don't know if that counts for anything.

Tammy, I'm so sorry to read about Todd's mysterious passing. I hope his wife gets some answers.

Our party on Sunday was a lot of fun. We started it at 1:57 because we could. Each year, the start time is 'unique,' and some people take it as a challenge to arrive exactly on time. That wouldn't happen if we started at, say, 2:00. We invited everyone to wear wacky hats, we set up a photo booth, we created random teams of 4 people each, and invited each team to take additional props from our "prop room" and take a series of team photos. We then posted the best shots into a slide show that we played on our TV so everyone could see it, and announced winners and distributed prizes. About 35 people were there. We talked a lot. We laughed a lot. Everyone met someone they didn't know. We ate a lot. We drank a lot. Here are a couple of the photos:

Yesterday morning, I had to drive our niece back to UConn, so I skipped my workout so we could get an early start. So I started off February today with 7.1 racewalking miles in 31F temps under that bright half moon.

Have a greta Groundhog Day!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

48F

7.1 miles

65 minutes 35 seconds

Big group us ran over to Waller Mill park. Tricia and Marty turned around at the entrance because they didn't have a headlamp and didn't want to run as slow as we run. So, Ralph and I kept running while a discussion took place. Janice, Jane, Carol, Bob, and Bill followed us in to the park. We stay just a little ahead of that group because the rocket scientist is on a mission. But. When we heard a rooster crowing, the next thing we heard was Carol hollering, "We are turning around now!".

So we turned around and chased them back to Mooretown Road; ended up being our fastest mile for sure!

Jay, we are in sync with our mileage today.

Aamos!  I am so excited about Reston!  To fill everyone else in: we had to have a team name in order to register for the relay. (Ralph, son-in-law, me, and daughter).  We texted with the kids and after sharing many names and many silly names... we decided on "Reelin' in the Beers".

My favorite band is Steely Dan. One of their songs is "Reelin' in the Years". Ralph changed Years to Beers. We like beer. I am hoping that we can all be reeling in the runners ahead of us! With lilmissrosie as our anchor... I think we have a good chance. She is a speedy girl!

It's Groundhog Day!  I wonder if we'll all be doing this again tomorrow?

MTA: Jay! Thank you for the explanation. That party was a blast! Great that you all had so much fun.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Jay, you have the best parties! Loved the pictures. And from the ones you posted, it looks like nobody had a good time

Good morning RCG! Cool that you and Jay ended up with the same mileage today. And I'm a huge Steely Dan fan as well. I've seen them in concert twice - once at the Beacon in New York which was an incredible experience.

Only 4 miles for me this morning, trying to take advantage of the dry streets before the big storm hits us later today. Yesterday, they cancelled school for the area today to be proactive, and here it is, after 8:00 AM and the sun is still shining. Sometimes it makes me scratch my head, and I had to laugh when I went into the Y after my run this morning to do some weights and stretch out. There are a few senior members (yes, people actually older than me) and we were commenting about the early decision to call off school today. Almost in unison we said "when I was a kid, I used to walk a mile to school in the snow and rain, and it was uphill both ways!" You have to love old people's humor!

Tammy, thank you for the update. That is so sad and very strange.

DH is having carpel tunnel surgery on both hands. One on Thursday this week and the other on Friday next week. Surgeon says no heavy lifting and pushing for at least a month. I'm thinking I know who the next man up is for snow removal

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos!  I am so excited about Reston!  To fill everyone else in: we had to have a team name in order to register for the relay. (Ralph, son-in-law, me, and daughter).  We texted with the kids and after sharing many names and many silly names... we decided on "Reelin' in the Beers".

Thought you were planning on chasing WRFB and PDR for a moment.

4 miles this morining for me.  Wanted slow, it felt slow, and Garmin confirmed that it was indeed slow.  One of these years I may actually get a realistic comprehension of the pace I'm running.

With talk of Runnerversaries, I did some thinking back and am pretty sure I'm at least in my 10th year, too.  I at least have a couple of race shirts from 2007 and I know I started before then.  Nothing like the totals that others have posted, though--only about 5700 miles since I started logging.  Not sure that's the whole 10 years.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

4 miles this morining for me.  Wanted slow, it felt slow, and Garmin confirmed that it was indeed slow.  One of these years I may actually get a realistic comprehension of the pace I'm running.

For the most part I'm pretty good at predicting my pace. From time to time my internal pace-o-meter gets out of whack and needs to be recalibrated. I enjoy it most when it errors on the side of Feels like a 9 mpw and I'm actually doing 8:15 mpw.

Write me in for 6+ again. Just windy enough that I ended up ditching the river trail and exposing myself to the headwind and opted for the neighborhood streets for wind cover.

Oh and Bernie and Hillary end in a tie, Cruz beat Trump with Rubio right on the Donald's heels. (In case you didn't know)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - your parties look like so much fun!

Tammy - that is such a mystery about the runner.  Are they saying he drowned, then?  Please update us if they figure out what happened to him.

4.5 miles for me on the TM this morning watching I Am Number 4.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Jay, looks like a great party.

A wonderful Groundhog Day to all. It was sunny and low 40's here when I went out for a couple of miles although my Rknee continues to complain. Rain tomorrow will allow me to rest- following Twocat's advice.

I was given the day off from working out - yay!

Tammy - Thank you for the information.  As everyone else has said, please extend our condolences to Todd's wife and the entire running community.  Thoughts are just reeling through my head as to what could've happened and I didn't even know him, so I can't even begin to imagine how his family and friends are feeling.  It just makes me heart sick.

Runnerversaries (thanks, Stumpy) - I know started in 2006, but I can't remember what month.  My first race was in an 8-miler in San Francisco. Karen ran the HM, which took her across the Golden Gate Bridge.  I think that was in June 2006.  It's hard to believe it's been that long.

So the battle of wills began this morning - Me vs. The Cats (mostly the Wilsonater).  I finally reached my breaking point with him waking me up at 2:00/2:30 every morning.  He got shoved off the bed multiple times; I shut the bedroom door, but then ended up with Chico trying to scratch the crap out of it, so the 2 of them got kicked outside.  (I crack the garage overhead door so they can come and go in there.)  Then Ziggy tried to get me to get up, and he got a ball of socks thrown at him and he decided to leave me alone.  This is gonna take awhile, and it's a mess of our own, but I am determined to un-create it.  My next move is to try and figure out how to use the squirt bottle on Wilson without squirting The Hub since Wilson always positions himself between our heads.  Hmmmm . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - small bottle, careful aim.  A shot of water right in the snout sends a clear message without harming anyone.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Leslie - small bottle, careful aim.  A shot of water right in the snout sends a clear message without harming anyone.

And I forgot to say that I love the pics Jay posted.  Looks like a really fun time!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Besides, since Shorty is apparently not waking up and helping (don't ask me how I know), he'll have to deal with being collateral damage.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Do you ever get to the point where you feel like marathon training is going to kill you? I only did 12 today and feel like sleeping for the rest of the day.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Mornin' everyone!

I did see my shadow in the light if a bright half moon this morning, but I don't know if that counts for anything.

Tammy, I'm so sorry to read about Todd's mysterious passing. I hope his wife gets some answers.

Our party on Sunday was a lot of fun. We started it at 1:57 because we could. Each year, the start time is 'unique,' and some people take it as a challenge to arrive exactly on time. That wouldn't happen if we started at, say, 2:00. We invited everyone to wear wacky hats, we set up a photo booth, we created random teams of 4 people each, and invited each team to take additional props from our "prop room" and take a series of team photos. We then posted the best shots into a slide show that we played on our TV so everyone could see it, and announced winners and distributed prizes. About 35 people were there. We talked a lot. We laughed a lot. Everyone met someone they didn't know. We ate a lot. We drank a lot. Here are a couple of the photos:

Yesterday morning, I had to drive our niece back to UConn, so I skipped my workout so we could get an early start. So I started off February today with 7.1 racewalking miles in 31F temps under that bright half moon.

Have a greta Groundhog Day!

What a great idea. I need fun friends like you.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Stumpy - It's amazing what he can sleep through.   And then there was the wailing this morning when I was in the shower.  Wilson, just sitting on the floor in the bathroom, looking around and wailing like he does when he's being transported to the vet. 

Laurie - Sometimes you need to just give in to what your body is saying and give it a break.  An extra day or two of rest will do way more good than harm.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five sunny morning miles that, if we had any groundhogs around here in the PNW, I don’t see how this kind of day could portend anything but the end of winter, not six more weeks of it, especially with new rhubarb shoots already four-or-five inches high, bulbs making their presence known, greening buds on the trees, etc. 
                                Still a little too weary for the full five mile morning commute on the Dry Baron but, as I turned down the 4.5 mile more direct route alongside all the morning traffic, I turned around to make it a five miler up the last hill through Daejong Sister City Park after all to get a prime number in case it would help to redeem myself a little from wildchild’s disapprobation for trying to get a prime out of this month’s 27 miles. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)