Masters Running

Thurs Jun 19 Daily (Read 389 times)

I decided to listen to the advice I and others gave Bill, and to give myself a bit of a break, at least for today, and maybe for this cycle. Normally I have been doing speedwork within the midweek medium long run, but today I decided to forego that. My run was much more fun than it would have been had I done the interval repeats. As it was I felt really strong, and the splits were progressively faster after the 5th mile. Workout: 11.1 miles, 8:19/mi, AHR 151 Overall: 12.1 miles, 1:41 Absolutely perfect running conditions -- 53F and dark Smile (well it was dark the first half of the run, anyway)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning everyone. We are winding down the last couple of days of spring and they are with cool temperatures here in Virginia. These have made it to be IRC (ideal running conditions) for this time of year. Erika checked in last night to report on the third and final game of the Alaskan youth soccer team's Regional playoffs from beautiful Hawaii. While they lost their third game, it sounds like they felt better about the way they played and will go home better athletes for the experience they had. Good job boys. This is the same team that a year ago after a similar tournament in Las Vegas, returned home and had their coach suddenly die within just a few weeks of their return. I was appalled to read this morning of the Boston Celtic fan revellers who went on a minor rampage in "celebration" in downtown Boston. The police were able to launch arrests on the few that were actually involved, but it still is a shame when VICTORY is heralded this way. What do they do in defeat? Don't answer. I really don't think I want to know. Sarge......actually I DID bat "lead off" when I was playing ball. Never one to hit many long balls, I enjoyed using all the tools of the classic lead off batter......walks, bunts, slapping the ball through the defense, beating out grounds balls in the infield and even a decent contact swing for doubles got me on base. Funny how that seems to be my lot in here too. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Twocat. I trust they will be able to get to the bottom of the problems for your DW. Sometimes these situations are full of frustration for us as patients AND partners. Hang in there Bill. Make some changes that bring freshness to your run and just keep trying until something "clicks". Motivation comes to each of us in various ways. What works for one, might not work for another when it comes to this area. Today is a busy day, so I best get to it. I just ran to help the garbage man, so a shower sounds like the next idea. Have a great day. Enjoy those runs and let us know what is happening in your life. We are family. Joey
      Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I hope some of this cool weather makes it down breeger's way. Lou..nice one! IRC and sproinky but kept reigned it in for 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 39:05 (9:45 pace, AHR 136) Nice low HR due to the recent VO2 max sessions combined with today's IRC. Very happy Big grin Have great runs! Steve ETA.. with Tory Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! 4 miles with Brinkley this morning - the neighbor's house was dark so I left without her. I could not find Brinkley's leash so we had to use Hailey's pink one. I believe dogs are color blind though. Wink 9:32 pace - 159 AHR - which is a better than yesterday. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Hey Lou, 11 miles at 8:19 pace isn't exactly lounging around. Nice run. Spareribs
            Dave59

Easy 4.2 miles for me this morning. It'll be another day of people swarming the house doing work. A couple projects with different people coincidently started at the same time so I have landscapers out side, electricians and dry wallers inside, and another guy fixing the bricks on our front entry way. It's amazing how it seems like nothing will ever get done and then everyone shows up at once.

A nice easy 6 mile run with the local running clubbers. I took this one slow and tried to enjoy the moon that was out early on, and the rainbow that was out later. 9:28 overall. One of the girls got a side stitich, so I eased off from the group and slowed down to run her in. Didn't want her running out there by herself. Today is my DW's 50th birthday. I bought her one of those Old Lady Canes that have the magnifying glass and rear view mirror hanging off it. It also comes with a nice bicycle-type horn so poeple know you're coming. Hopefully she doesn't use it instead to whack me across the side of the head! Thanks for all the advice and positive comments yesterday. I appreciate it. I hope it didn't come across as whining but I needed to vent as something needs to change. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone one Smile Nice long run WRFB...that's a very good pace with you not feeling your best right now. Joey, how is your brother doing...still think about you and him, and hoping and praying for the best. Steve, it has been really nice here to with temps in the 70"s and low humidity. Nice runs to Mary and Dave....and Brinkley too. Good easy run Bill...and happy Birthday to your DW...funny with the cane Big grin You were not whining Bill, but rather expressing something you are going through right now, and you RA friends are here for ya. Did my mid-week long run last night with 6 1/2 mile repeats in the middle. The goal Ribs gave me was to run them no faster than 7:15 pace and said if I was going to have a problem with the correct pacing, to write splits on my arm to help..which I did. I had: 55 - 1:49 - 2:43 - 3:38 wrote which would be my 7:15 pace. He trying to slow me down to a slower steady pace to help with my racing...and not going out too fast 8 mile run to and from the track. 1/2 mile repeats: 3:27 - 6:54 pace - oops, I was 15 seconds too fast at my 220 mark Roll eyes 3:37 - 7:14 pace - good 3:32 - 7:04 pace - little fast 3:36 - 7:12 pace - little better 3:43 - 7:26 pace - to slow 3:35 - 7:10 pace - not bad Overall pace was 7:11 which was not to bad, and I did get a feel for the desired pace, but felt this pace to be extremely easy and never was laboring or breathing hard at all really. And really didn't take much of a recovery between sets. Overall: 11 miles - 8:41 ave pace 3 miles - 21:31 7:11 pace Good fun workout, which I didn't trash my legs like I normally would have doing a track workout. Have a great day all...kinda chatty this morning Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Bill! I hope you bought yourself a helmet too!! Happy Birthday to your beautiful wife. No Tory today Perch? You must get out for your run pretty early for it to still be dark Lou. I hope they find the cause of your wife's problems twocat. That is scary to deal with. Great repeats TIM!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning, all! Nice fun run, Lou. Good to see leading the pack today. Tim - nice repeats last night. Dave - have a great time trying to keep up with all of the activity! {{{{{{Twocat's wife}}}}}}} - hope she is feeling better! Amy - so glad to hear your husband is recovering so quickly - great news! Another beautiful morning with IRC - 52 degrees and a mild breeze blowing off of the Sound. Nice, easy, hilly 7.36 miles @ 10:08 pace. Heart rate in the low 150's. It was storming last night, so we didn't get to do the Jesse jog. DH and I are off to San Francisco this weekend for a conference. I'm not looking foward to that long flight cross country. I think our hotel is close to the Waterfront Bay Trail, so I am anticipating some nice runs along the Bay. Well, that and some California seafood........ Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning Boomers. 6 even miles this morning at a 9:31 pace, which seems to be my comfort zone lately. IRC here - 52F, blue skies and not much wind. Lots of good runs already this morning. Bill - sounds like you've taken everyone's advice to heart and will do what you think is best. I agree with those that said sometimes all you need is to take a day or two off. You'll be back with a vengeance! You might want to wrap that "old lady cane" in a pretty pink nightgown! Wink Happy birthday to your DW. Mary - love the puppy pictures. Keep them coming! How long before they are "adopted" into their new homes? ((( Twocat ))) and (((Nonoruns ))). You are both going through some difficult times right now. Hope we can help you work through all of your problems. Eliz - glad you were able to get a run in. How's the foot today? Tim - great workout for you as well this morning. You just keep cranking them out! Off to cut the grass and hopefully get in 18 holes of golf this afternoon. My week of vacation is going by too quickly. Good Thursday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                        dg.

good morning, Smile Aamos, I'm so glad you posted. It's wonderful to hear how you both are... {{{Twocat + DW}}} PDR I hope your time eases up soon. That has to be taking a toll. Bill, not whining at all. lots of things to catch up on but I'm running late, will have to read more carefully a little later. I decided that I just needed an easy relaxing run & tried for that. The numbers didn't change much which is a little curious... it really was easier, although still a push. (at the track) about a mile walk. Run was 45:11, 4.31 miles, 10:28 average pace, 8:48 max. AHR 171, max 187. I got a compliment today! I think I mentioned talking to a very nice guy a couple of weeks ago.... he started running at 60, is now 64 & has qualified for Boston. So neat. I love watching him run.. fast & effortless. We crossed paths today & talked for a minute.. track vs. outside. He said he likes hills & I said I do too but my hamstrings don't. Anyway, he said something about light, & I thought he meant it helps to run them lightly. But finally realized (there is a language barrier) that he said he liked how I run, that I am very light. He said a lot of people run very heavy. that I 'did good'. Got a thumbs up. I can't even begin to tell you how surprised I was. I watch other people run, & you can tell some of them really "run" by the way they move. I'm always envious, wish I could run like the big kids. Sorry to go on about this but it was so unexpected. to get any kind of positive feedback was a real surprise. It really made my day.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, The cool weather made it's way here this morning...a refreshing 67F and sunny. 10.13 miles of hills @ 9:09 pace...a surprisingly easy run probably because of the cooler weather.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

..for reasons known only to itself, My Head is furnishing Russian Cossack Songs during my runs lately, today it was ''katyusha''..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlq_P5CI18 I don't know why it does that........ =========== 45min street run, coolish, had a REALLY cool white long-hair dog join me for the last half, I see why people like this, didn't acknowledge me, just pranced around in front of me while I ran, went back to it's house when I dropped out........FUN....... ........good running guys............may all the Dogs you meet be Cool Ones........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

..ps...... ......dg//......that was quite a compliment..........Good on ya.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....