Masters Running

Wednesday April 16 Boomer/Master Runs (and whatever ...) (Read 545 times)

Ideal running conditions today. 56 degrees and 56% humidity, though still breezy. Couldn't help myself. The legs wanted to go and I'll be traveling to NY the next couple of days so may not get anything in. 10.1 miles at 8:45 min/mile pace overall. Miles 5 through 9 at 8:37, 8:32, 8:24, 8:29, and 8:33 - MP or better. Time to shut it down for taper. This one is a big confidence booster. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice Run Bill! Enjoy the taper and better yet, enjoy NYC!! Interval Wednesday. 1/4 mile intervals with .15 mile rests in between in which I walked 1/2 and then started a slow jog. Bumped it up to 8 this week - but it was tough as I fought the wind. Felt like I was going faster in my new shoes, but the wind had other ideas. 1. 2:08 - 175 AHR 2. 2:08 - 177 AHR 3. 2:09 - 176 AHR 4. 2:02 - 177 AHR 5. 2:00 - 180 AHR 6. 2:06 - 182 AHR (I remember saying oh CRAP - this wind is killing me) 7. 2:01 - 182 AHR 8. 1:58 - 183 AHR (last one - give it your all attitude) 1 mile warm up, 1.05 mile cool down - 5:25 miles overall. Happy Hump Day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Excellent runs to start us out, Bill and Mary. Dromedary wrote:
        And to youse guys tapering for Boston: Drink beer and eat cake
        I LOVE that kind of taper! Smile Biketm said:
        Summary: dont chew gum while having your driving license picture taken...odds are against you.
        Words of wisdom, for sure… Smile I went to a thrift store last night to buy some throwaway clothes for the pre-race wait at Boston. I got a pair of lined warm-up pants ($2) and a full-length grey wool coat ($7). Will I look ridiculous? Probably. Like a bag lady? Oh, for sure. But will I be warm and toasty while I sit outside in 42+ degrees for 3 hours? ABSOLUTELY! I guess I’m just one of those “comfort before style” gals. And next winter, one of Boston’s homeless is going to LOVE that coat. I could almost use it as a sleeping bag. Big grin 5.4 easy-paced miles for me today in 39 degrees with 10 x 100m striders (ave pace 9:55, ave HR 132). Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I have been down all week with sinus infection and strep. I have not been this sick in a long time.  I am hoping to be able to run by Saturday?  I probably shouldn't have run in rain Saturday.  The odds of any runs this week are probably less than 50%.  Run long run well.
            Good morning Boomers. Cross training day for me. 5 miles on the eliptical trainer in 40 minutes followed by ab and leg work. It's beautiful here again this morning, though very windy. DH and I walked 18 holes yesterday. Our scores were not very good (first time out for me), but it was great to be out in the sun and walking on the sloppy wet course. Nice intervals this morning, Mary. Do you take Brinkley with you when you do intervals? I bet that would be too hard. Another hohum great run for Bill. Holly, you will not look like a bag lady! You'll probably start a new fashion trend. And as you said, those throw away clothes will get put to good use by someone else. Are you ready?! Will your family be coming with to cheer you on? I heard this morning that Tiger is having knee surgery. They're wondering about how many tournaments he'll have to miss. I think he can afford to take some time off. Wink Good Wednesday runs, everyone. Jeanne
              Bill - Great run Mary -you were really working those are high AHR's way to go Marathon Derrick - rest and get well An hour run ez today althogh it did not feel easy the lower quads are quite tight and my race on Sunday will most probably be my slowest half marathon in awhile but I am not tapering for it as the marathon end of May is my A race...will just do my best Well off to get the girls to school Take care my friends And Boston bound friends - I AM SO JEALOUS!!! Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hill Runner

HI all, 8.05 MOH @ 9:01 pace...gotta run... Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

dg.

morning all, Bill, what a way to start your taper. great job, Mary. dromedary, i loved your spam haiku. always look on the bright side of life. but now you have me wondering which beer is best with cake. maybe two hearted ale? derrick, that sounds awful. hope it goes away soon. Tall, it's very nice to have you back. Holly your outfit sounds perfect. pictures please. a bug caught me so yesterday I only did a little bit of callanetics. this morning to the gym again, total was 3.95 miles on the track. holly & tammy, couldn't you have made me round that out? but no apparent hammie damage Big grin. I took a cooler with ice things in it, & iced on the way home. I remembered that but almost forgot my gymbag. caught it just in time. have a great day everybody. hope all your snow goes away!!! erika, you especially.
                  wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Biketm, did we miss your birthday yesterday? That's usually the day you get bad drivers license pictures taken.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

btb1490

Happy Wednesday everyone! While I have a second, I wanted to share some photos from the foggy walk I had this morning with Jake. A nice way to start the day, definitely the highlight. Some deer. Now you see them.... Now you don't! Hightailing it outta here! Too busy to comment to everyone today. Not a good busy either. Sad Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Enjoy every second of it. “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” - Winnie the Pooh

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Biketm, did we miss your birthday yesterday? That's usually the day you get bad drivers license pictures taken.
                        They changed that here in Indiana....but my Birthday was on St Patty's day though Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

seemomgo

Beautiful pictures this morning! Thanks for posting them! I miss seeing Larry's photos from CR. I know - go to Kickrunners, but I can't keep up with two boards! 4 miles this morning in brisk wind. Lead legs. Today's forecast calls for 5-10 inches of snow in our area - yesterday we reached 80+! Crazy weather! Wildchild - you will like running in the cool today! Bob - thanks for asking about the foot after the long miles this weekend. It is surviving - thanks to the super high arch supports. Good days to all!
                          Mariposai

. “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” - Winnie the Pooh
                            swoonnnnnnnnnn. Thanks for taking the second to post those lovely pictures btb. What an amazing walk you had today. I hope it carries you thru the day. Holly, great idea for buying used clothes as a throw away. I did the same when I visited China a while back, in every village I stayed at I left a nice warm wool sweeter or coat to the house-mom. Now when I see China having a cold winter day I have a smile on my face thinking that someone may be very toasty wearing that piece of clothing. Too busy at work, but I will scape out of there early this afternoon for a hair beautifying appointment and then a short 4 miler. I hope that the visit to the beautician will give me a stylish run today and on Sunday. arf and davechief, I can't wait until I see you on Sunday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTB-Great pictures,looks a lot like the fields in Lynden... Bill-Another nice run for you,excellent splits!!! I tweaked my back at work on Monday,so I took yesterday off and went to my Chiropractor...went for an easy 5 miler this morning and turned it into a progression run...7:57 pace... I hope the weather is good for all you Boston Bound Boomers...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breeger Nice confidence builer for Eugene! Hopeful.. nice intervals Holly. dressed that way, if you stick out your hand you might get money Smile BTB.. nice photos! dg and Lynden... glad you're ok. Taper must be working because the sluggish 4 Magical Healing Miles was complete with tight/sore calves. reduce miles and everything tightens up.. always happens. Doesn't get good until mile 7 of the marathon then wonderful until... 4 miles with Tory in 39:30 (9:53 pace AHR 142) Boston looking like 50's whole race and cloudy-partly cloudy with 10 mph head wind. IRC.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova