Masters Running

Tuesday 9-9-2014 (Read 40 times)

Dave59

I like when the day and month are the same.  That way there is no confusion between the way we write the date in America and the way they write the date in other places.

It was another early Tuesday hill run.  7.13 miles in 1:04.  Pretty nice run.  I love how my legs feel when they go numb on the last couple steep hills.

No bear tracks.  Just goose poop to watch out for around the pond.

Have a greta day.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone!

"I love how my legs feel when they go numb on the last couple steep hills." Yikes! I don't know that I'd embrace the numbness quite so much.

Starr, let Mr. Starr know that kayaks can be quite comfortable. The hardest part is getting in and out of them, but that can be mastered fairly easily.

Our Board of Selectmen approved our 2015 Conservation Commission budget last night with only a couple of questions. Next month, I'll go to the Budget Committee which, some of you may remember, gave me an unbelievably hard time last year. I'm not looking forward to spending another evening with them.

We closed registration for this year's Seacoast Half (on Nov. 9) yesterday when we got to 1,500 racers. This morning, I was awake at 3:15, and thought about a relatively minor issue with the race that hadn't risen to the surface before - we have a modified course because of a bridge closure this year, making it a point-to-point race instead of a loop. So there are a gaggle of logistical issues that we've not had to deal with before. After laying and thinking for about 40 minutes, I finally got up and headed out for a workout. 4.5 RW and running miles in 55F temps, and under a heavenly Harvest moon. It wasn't my best workout, but I enjoyed channeling Neil Young along the way.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Jay, My sister could use some of your water shed knowledge. Thier neighbor poured a new concrete drive early last spring. Since this drive has been put in thier (Sis and BIL) basement wall has buckled in by more than six inches due to "hydro pressure". The slope of the new drive directs all the run off from the house, the garage and the drive towards my Sis and BIL's house.

They have spent close to 10K fixing the problem on thier side but the neigbors still need to mitigate the problem too. Although the law is on thier side they're are trying very hard to avoid that route.

Anyway...Speaking of water shed. We are in for it. 3 inches since last night, another 3 expected over the next 24.

Lightning kept me indoors this am...hit the weights.

Good morning Dave, Jay Slo and all to follow. Keep working on those hill sprints Dave. They will serve you well come race day. How is the new arrival doing? I'll bet Annabelle is a big help!

"Harvest Moon" by Neil Young is one of my favorites Jay. Sounds like you had perfect conditions this morning.

That rain is headed this way Slo. Too bad about all of the problems your sister is having. Hopefully the neighbors are giving their full cooperation to get things fixed.

I'm not always a big fan of urban running, but when I see bear prints the size of Steve's hand, I'm glad I just have to watch for dogs and crazy drivers!

6 miles this morning in conditions similar to Jay. Back to wearing blinking lights and reflective clothing again. It was barely getting light out by the time I finished my run but I love the cooler temps. Starting to notice some trees turning colors too. And we all know what comes after that!

Have a great day everyone.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

I like it when Dave is happy  9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

Would have shown up earlier but too busy reading and then scraping up my jaw after reading Jlynne's race report.  I'm never writing another RR as that is the be-all end-all of RRs.  Shazam!

Really appreciate the "misery loves company" support, Leslie and Holly as to going to the Vet.  I remember getting Izzy and then Frank's teeth cleaned.  Greyhounds have horrible teeth and you just have to be on top of their teeth cleaning (if only for self-interest, as their breath goes off into noxious zones as soon as you're a month late scheduling the cleaning appt.)   Since the purse strings were opened, I went out and bought a new dress later.  It was wicked on sale (Ralph Lauren, too)  and fits perfectly, don't even have to hem it.  It's not red, however, so I can't run in it........

Sayhey C-R, DH and I love cornfields and soybean fields.   We especially enjoy corn-on-the-cob.  Seriously, we have it almost every night.

Nice to have PBJ fizzing around here.

Need to make a note of Jay's half filling up early!!  One step at a time--good getting the budget this far along.

Be careful out there, sproinky Steve!

Beautiful moon here too....of course I ran to Lakes Park to take advantage of it.  At one point, was running south in the Park, with the moon on my right and the sun letting us know it was on its way on my left.  My path was between two bodies of water and it was very still, so the reflections shone up lighting my way.   And it was only in the 70s!  I did 8.2 at a 9 minute pace, first mile slow, last one faster.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

coastwalker

Jay, My sister could use some of your water shed knowledge. Thier neighbor poured a new concrete drive early last spring. Since this drive has been put in thier (Sis and BIL) basement wall has buckled in by more than six inches due to "hydro pressure". The slope of the new drive directs all the run off from the house, the garage and the drive towards my Sis and BIL's house.

They have spent close to 10K fixing the problem on thier side but the neigbors still need to mitigate the problem too. Although the law is on thier side they're are trying very hard to avoid that route.

So sorry your sister is having these problems, Slo. In our town, it is the responsibility of every property owner to manage their stormwater on their own property. We would tell your sister's neighbor that it is their responsibility to find a way to manage the water from their driveway so that it does not create problems for your sister and BIL. The neighbor could put in a swale or a berm to redirect the water, or a dry well or some other device to absorb the water before it leaves their property. Whatever the solution it should be their responsibility, and not your sister and BILs! Your sister and BIL should go to their town hall to find out how the town can help them to correct this problem that is demonstrably caused by work the neighbors did. If they go to town hall, they should be ready to demonstrate (with photos?) that the problems only started after the driveway was put in, and to show what they've done and how much they've spend to try to correct the problem. If the neighbors aren't willing to solve the problem they created, then your DS and BIL may have no choice but to take them to court. We (our Conservation Commission) hears similar complaints as this, investigates them, and engages the neighbors if we believe they are the cause of the problem. Good luck!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Since the purse strings were opened, I went out and bought a new dress later.  It was wicked on sale (Ralph Lauren, too)  and fits perfectly, don't even have to hem it.  It's not red, however, so I can't run in it........

Sounds lovely!  Pictures?

4 slow and gentle miles for me this morning in 60 degrees under the Harvest Moon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Good morning gangs.  I am having way too much fun with the Twocats and so little time to hang out here.

Yesterday twocat, his colleague and I ran 5 miles before heading up north to Mystic Seaport.  Today I ran 7 miles alone by the gorgeous water and we are off to enjoy the City.  I can't wait to see my relay team in two days.

Ohh, btw,  we lost yet another runner. Poor twocat,  our fearless captain is going through the ringer with the recruitment process.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning friends --- it is still morning isn't it??  I was up at Jay o'clock to get some miles in before work today.    Wore my reflective vest and headlamp trying to be responsible, but that beautiful super moon and the lights along Boylston St were so bright I probably didn't need them.  Still, better to be safe running solo that early in Boston and good practice for my attire this weekend on Reach the Beach!!

As much as I love summer, after that sweltering long run Sat. morning I have to admit the cooler moonlit run this morning was much nicer.  After a .5 mile warm-up I did 6 x .5 mile repeats at LT pace with .1 mile recovery between -- well that was the plan, but then I wasnt happy with the pace of the 6th repeat so I did a 7th at my fastest pace for the morning!!  Finished with a total of 5.2 miles and ready to face the pregnant women!!

Day 2 of 3 then it's time for REACH THE BEACH!!  Did I say I was excited to be part of the team this year!! 

Jay - I think my sister and a few of her friends are signed up for Seacoast!

Posai - can't wait to see you and the rest of the gang Thursday!!  I shared Robin's post on FB to try and recruit another runner as well.  I'm happy to run extra if our captain needs me to as well!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

No relays, water problems, rain, lightning or problems with today's date of 09/14/09, just another easy 5-miler with the Saint.  Now to work and I have a ton of it.   Next week I work two days in Tampa.  Anyone nearby?  Spareribs

SteveP

On the way to the hospital! DD number two is in labor. The little bugger should not be as big as a bear. I am excited, nonetheless.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

Wow!

1. Drive safely, Steve!

2. Wish I could be on RTB.  Keep on having fun, Mari!

3. Ribs, ME!  I'm an hour from Tampa, but I'm in DC this weekend and not back until about midnight Monday and then DH and I are away on Friday.    BUT, I have a friend who manages the Fit2Run Store in Sarasota at 1400 Main St.  They have group runs in the evenings.  Email Kimmi at kimmiv@fit2run.com to find out when and tell her I sent you.  She will take good care of you.

Announcing DOWNTOWN SARASOTA
                          Opening Late July

1400 Main St.
                          Sarasota, FL 34236

PHONE: 941-364-2600

FAX: 941-364-2674

Mon-Thurs: 10am – 9pm
                          Fri-Sat: 10am – 10pm
                          Sun: 11am - 5pm

Store Manager, Kimmi Van Der Veen

EMAIL: kimmiv@fit2run.com

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

On the way to the hospital! DD number two is in labor. The little bugger should not be as big as a bear. I am excited, nonetheless.

Woo hoo!  Good luck to her for a speedy and healthy delivery!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I was told that more babies are born around the full moon than other times in the month.  Maybe there is some truth to that.

BlazinCajun

BTY - Congratulations on your race - who said anything about slowing down? Didn't know there were other running forums out there except our old Cool Running forum.

Dave - Nice new family addition - congrats to all your hard work.

Holly, enjoyed your race report - good job on the running.

Dave - I'm kinda of a throwback here at work. I write date and times that make sense to me in a querying kinda of way. The format yyyymmdd makes the most sense to me and the easiest to sort. Also, 24 Hour time all the way - never any mix ups.

Did not run a longer run this weekend - after running eight days in the heated humidity and working in the yard after work I was just exhausted and drained. Yesterday, tore down our old metal shed that was here when we bought the place eighteen years ago. Convinced DW that we should convert the slab to a gravel covered campfire area with a steel fire ring as the focal point. Ran yesterday with daughter and about seven miles on logging trails this morning. Good runs to all.

Andrew
                                ------------------
                                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                                Hb 3:19