Masters Running

Village Runner St. Patrick's 5K run (30 pounds lost and a PR) (Read 265 times)

Hi everyone, I know I haven't been here in a very long time...a lot has happened since the last time I posted a RR last June. I lost 30 pounds. Here's a "before" weight loss picture: Image and video hosting by TinyPic Here's my "after" picture: Image and video hosting by TinyPic Running is a whole new experience these days (best of all, no more asthma attacks during races!). In mid-January, I ran the Carlsbad Half Marathon and PRd by 10 minutes. A week later, I ran the Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K and PRd again by 2 minutes. On Sunday, I ran a 5K with the fabulous Ileneforward and BCMorant (Bruce). I haven't raced with either of them in a long time. While we were warming up, they talked about race pace and I had no clue about mine. I really didn't know what pace I ran anymore! I figured I'd be happy just to break 30 minutes. The race started, and Bruce took off. Ilene, resplendent in a lime green t-shirt and matching shorts, glided away, and I was by myself. I just kept my focus and listened to my breathing. It was rather crowded, and there were these little kids running amok on foot and on razor scooters. I just tried to stay in the middle of the road and not step in anything or get hit by anyone. Eventually there was more space around me. I followed this old bald dude since he had a good pace. But then when it came time to pass him, he wouldn't let me. Now this was a new experience. The faster he ran, the faster I ran. He pumped his arms until they were all elbows. His knees got higher with every step. His brathing became more of a rasp, too. I even saw the whites of his eyes bulging out from the side of his head. Now I know why the dogs chase mailmen! The chase was on! Then I see Ilene. This is not right, I say to myself. She's the fast one, I'm the slow one, the universe is gonna implode! I have to restore order! I caught up to Ilene and tell her to run faster. She poured it on, but I am too busy to see where she is, since I am focusing on passing the bald old dude, which I finally do. Bruce told you all about his great finish in his RR. Way to go, Bruce!! Ilene got to the finish line before I did, but then she checked on the race results and my chip time was a fraction of a second faster than hers...but I'm just glad the universe is OK! We both PRd at 27:08 Lew (my hubby) PRd too at 27:50 (his last 5K PR was 30:35) He was so happy! After lunch We went to RoadRunner Sports and he bought 2 pairs of "real" runner shorts to celebrate...no baggy knee length sweatshirt material shorts for him anymore! Here's a photo of me, the fabulous Ilene, and Lew: Image and video hosting by TinyPic The only downside to all this is that my digital camera did not save any photos we took of Bruce so we're going to have to sign up for the next race that Bruce is doing and make sure the camera saves the images next time! Thanks for reading Smile best wishes, dromedary
      Woo Hoo!!! What a great RR and talk about PR'S!! A 1/2, a 10K, and a 5K PR, all w/in a few months of each other. YOU GO GIRL!!!! And losing 30 pounds....my, my, my. You look MAHVELOUS!!! Teach me how to download pix! They are all fabulous but my favorite is the one w/ you and Ilene; brings back memories... I hate that the bald dude was so obtuse. There are so many things that can annoy one in a race, especially when you're not wearing earhphones! Good for you for for showing him the difference between a lexus and a corolla. It's been a long time since our CM adventure. I think I'm going to do it again this year, although I haven't splurged on the (gasp) $100 entry fee! Wanna come to N'ville again? Helen
        what a great report! You do look fabulous! Congrats on all the PRs! What's with the bald guy, he couldn't find another old bald guy to race?? Well good thing he got "chicked".

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Hi Dromedary, WOW! Less body, more hair, great smiles, and old records at all distances dropping like flies!! You look fantastic, and you're running even better! Congrats on not giving in to that old bald dude (reminds me of what I'm getting to be, but that's another story...), and on using him to give yourself a great race. He probably ran a much better time than he expected too! Congrats also on catching lime Ilene, and motivating her too. Yep; the universe is OK. Your running is going great, and it is clear in your RR that you are enjoying it, and rightly so. Keep up the great work! Congrats to Lew too on his PR and his new shorts! How'd you and he get numbers 1302 and 1203? You couldn't have planned that! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

What a great race dromedary, I thoroughly enjoyed your race report and your before and after photos. What a great experience for you and your DH to both set PR's in a race together. And to get to run with Ilene now that is very cool indeed. Congratulations again and keep it going, your looking great. Big grin
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I AM that old bald dud (not literally, since you're out on the left coast, but metaphorically) and I'd much rather chase you than the other way around Evil grin what was he thinking? Wink Great race, especially to get to run with the fabulous Ilene and Bruce. WTG on all the long list of PRs. Many more to come, I think.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Happy for the great races all of you did, happy for your weight loss and how great you look. Not happy for Lew, who is going ot lose you pretty soon if you continue to look hawt like that. Fun report, and nice going. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, Dromedary, you look great! 30 lbs weightloss is a huge (hugh) achievement, and I totally believe you when you say running is a new experiene for you now. What a great report, and so many PRs - great racing for all of you! I'm looking forward to meeting you and the others this summer.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

omedetou gozaimasu dai/chou/sugoi/subarashii-bijin-san. After all her PR's last year too, maybe you can Rock'n'Roll with the goddess queen and us too in June. Lew too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the weight loss, and all the PRs! It really helps to have someone to chase (or someone chasing you!) - very motivational! Excellent pictures, too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

Hi Drom, I know I all ready told you at the race how good you look, but I wanted to tell you again how proud I am of you for losing all that weight. I know your times will continue to improve. Soon we will not just be running together at races, but in races. Tell Lew how pleased I am for him as well. He can't improve too much though as he is in my AG and there is all ready enough competition! "Real" runner's shorts? Next thing you know he will be getting a Garmin. Watch out, he's getting addicted just like the rest of us! Hope to see you soon, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Great weight loss! Great racing! Great race report!! Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

#artbydmcbride

Roll eyes Oh for crying out loud! Isn't it clear as day folks?? Who suddenly starts looking completely different and sets huge PRs one right after another? And just when you think she is safely way behind you...(although oddly can't be seen at any of the turnarounds Confused ) suddenly, breezes by you in the last half mile, nonchalantly commenting "better run faster, Ilene" before skipping away? Angry Hah!! Undoubtedly she was right behind me the whole way, just waiting for the perfect moment! Oh, she'll probably tell you about the personal trainer, the diet, the cross training, blah blah blah...but I know...and its not just her! Lew also is suspiciously fast now too! Overnight!! (I'll bet Victor Conti just happens to travel in the same circles.) She sure looks good though. And runs fast too. And makes it look easy. < sigh="" />

Runners run

Tramps

This is wonderful! All of it..the weight loss, the fun race, the PR. Congratulations, I'm sure it was not an easy task. You should be very proud. Keep it up. I hope we hear from you more often!

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

WOW! Wonderful news all around. I miss you guys. We'll have to get out to the left coast more often OR you can all visit us here in the east. (I have a fabulous 75th birthday party coming up in early April).