Masters Running

4/10 TGIGF runs and work outs (Read 512 times)

SteveP

SteveP

You always have the best pictures, Steve Smile. Is your dog's name Tag, or is that just so you remember what it is? Felt a little funny running after a day off (I hadn't taken a day off for over a month). 5.1 miles, 45:32, 8:55/mi, AHR 141 (72% MHR) included 6x20sec striders

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

SmileSmileSmile A great way to start the day....thanks Steve!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        SteveP

You always have the best pictures, Steve Smile. Is your dog's name Tag, or is that just so you remember what it is?
          To save $1.50 on a dog tag, we nearly named him "Rabies Vaccination"

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy TGIF everyone.... Good morning Steve and Bill. Love the pictures Steve, the bunny ears are cute...although the doggie looks a little less that thrilled Smile Nice run Lou....wow, no days of in over a month. Shows how smart you are with running and recovering...you are doing great. How many more weeks till your latest batch is ready... Mary, oh Mary...it was really not what it looked like, really...did to receive the flowers Big grin Wishing the best for Twocat and Steve...you guys are in my thoughts!!!!! Holly, how's the legs feeling? Ok, I have a new one I bet none of you have heard before...EVER (why do I see rolling eyes here) I have this Gal that wrecks her car a lot, and I see her like 3 times a year. I have to admit, I am very very much infatuated with her as she is very beautiful...inside and out. We talk all the time about running, as she said she "used" to be a serious runner. I asked "what happened that made ya stop" (she is a nurse BTW) She...her name is Jody, said that running causes women to have wrinkled faces when they get older...so THAT'S why she stopped Confused. Ok, that is the most lame and stoopid excuse I have ever heard. I asked her if she had any medical documentation to back that claim up...she didn't. She then got on me about not wearing sun screen all the time, even in my car while driving to work... darn, she is sooo very pretty. (she admitted being very vain about her face and appearance as she gets older) She asked me specific questions about my paces, and she could BAM...tell me how fast I run 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 miles and so on...she was "right on target"...and darn, she is sooo pretty. I finally asked Jody how old she was....ok, big no no, but she said she was 35 years old. I told her (honestly) she did not even look close to that age...she is sooo pretty, did I mention that? No ring on....pretty...really good personality once you get by the "fluff" I asked her if she would allow me to help her with running again. She said "as long as it doesn't mess my face up". LOL, I really really don't get it. Hey RA gals...what do you think about running and sagging face lines. She said this does NOT apply to men, as I asked her how old I looked at 50....she said "you are what!!"....proved my point I think. I personally think the very opposite is true I told her, because any serious lady runners I know have good looking tight skin on their face...keeps all of us looking and feeling younger, right!!! I offered to take her to Indy to be professionally fitted for new running shoes (shoes and dinner on me), and also to ask the professional at the running shoe store about her concerns and claim...she said she would answer when she picks her car up. Oh yeah....my run last night, and very good I might add... since this is a running forum (thanks for putting up with my non running stuff) It's absolutely incredible what a day off running can do..... 8 miles - 1:05:58 - 8:15 ave pace - with 4 at MP - my overall run was at BQMP... Cool as I could have ran MANY more miles at this pace. 2 easy miles 4 MP miles - 7:58 - 7:55 - 8:01 - 7:54...legs felt super peppy 2 easy miles.... Sorry, I should have asked for some cheese with my whine the other day Your Goofy, and always Good Friend TimmiBo But damn, she is soo pretty...is damn ok to say here Undecided

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

I've only had time for a quick skim (sigh) though I gather Gordon's got a new job Smile and Perch is hobbling to Boston Sad among other stuff. Went to buy different shoes yesterday at my local running store and ended up leaving in 5 minutes with nothing. The clerk was a total idiot. Second time that's happened there. Very disappointing and time for me to find a new store. 5.1 miles @ 8:17. On our dirt road this morning I saw an empty driving school vehicle parked by the side of the road and, a half mile away, a guy in full head-to-toe camouflage and dark aviator glasses (when it was barely light) walking briskly by himself. Confused

Be safe. Be kind.

biketm good luck! I just hope I never have an RN with her "knowledge" taking care of me! Running causes wrinkles but only to women. ROFLMAO! My guess is some SPF 15+ will pretty much alleviate the problem. This is just too funny!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Good Morning All I have the day off......but I have to work tomorrow....go figure. Did a 7 miler last night, and in the pool this morning. I was bushed. Looking back at the week I've really have had a good hard training week. An excellent interval session.....2 really good hard swims, hill repeats and a good hard spin in the stationary yesterday. Plus I don't consider my bike commute but with the wind lately that ride is pretty taxing as well. I'd really like to get 55 in this week. I'm debating if I'd be better off running a 7.5.......14......7.5 or a 10......14.....5. Today is a scheduled tempo (I'm 3 weeks out from a 5k). I also have a 20k coming up at the end of May so I don't want to back off on the 14. And I can't move the 14 to Sunday......out of town. I'm probably splitting hairs here and it realy dosen't matter..... Tongue Anyway.....I'm off to the Hardware stores to price a hot water heater. Mine is leaking from the bottom. Time to send her to the scrap heap.
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tim--I thought you integrated running very nicely into your pickup lines Wink But I am curious-how does one wreck a car regularly. And still have a licence Confused

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Geez, I found MANY articles about running and sagging skin...this one was the most absurd... http://www.cosmeticsurgery.com/articles/archive/an~185#a4...forth article down says this.... "Jogging -- Bad For Your Skin!With a current epidemic of obesity happening everywhere among all age groups in America, more people are taking up some form of exercise in hopes of knocking off some of that unsightly flesh. Already, some 22 million Americans make a habit of jogging for health, exercise and – believe it or not -- fun. But a Colorado plastic surgeon has made some comparisons of his jogging and non-jogging patients while they were under the knife and urges a word of caution to those who want to take up running. “Beware of jogging,” warns Denver plastic surgeon John A. Grossman, M.D. “Jogging can be bad for your skin! It can be particularly hard on the skin of both mens’ and womens’ faces. “For your skin’s sake, give up jogging and get a bike!” he says. Science has already learned how year after year of jogging can be hard on ankles, knees and hips. It’s because the weight of your body is multiplied by a factor of five or six every time a foot strikes the ground. Jogging downhill is especially hard on the body and the underlying collagen as well as tissues of the face, breast, thighs and buttocks. “I’m not saying forget exercise,” adds Dr. Grossman. “Just take up some form of low-impact workout like a bicycle, an elliptical trainer or swimming. “The hard impact and repetitive up and down motion of jogging on land or on a treadmill tears collagen, the body’s building block that creates healthy, youthful skin,” he says. “Your skin is something like a rubber band -- continuous stretching through bouncing up and down causes it to lose elasticity. Plus, as we age the impact is much more dramatic.” Because Dr. Grossman has spent so many years working closely with skin during various rejuvenation surgeries, he started noticing that patients who jog had much more saggy skin everywhere on their bodies compared to non-running patients. And, the older the patient, the worse the effect. He matched notes with other plastic surgeons and eventually mentioned his observation to an exercise physiologist who said it makes perfect sense. “I think that no amount of jogging is good,” Dr. Grossman says. Hollywood funny lady Joan Rivers would agree. She has often said, the first time she sees a jogger smiling, she’ll consider taking it" LOL, Joan Rivers commenting on running and smiling...when her own face looks frozen in one position Tongue to her. And this article makes us look like weirdo's because we love to run...jaskass's TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

To save $1.50 on a dog tag, we nearly named him "Rabies Vaccination"
                        Big grin Srlopez wrote
                        My beagle would be much better at the class because she's not a spaz. Her problem is that she tends to view other small dogs as food. So while she'd do the poses and listen to the instructor, she's not great at 'group dog exercise' in general. It becomes a little like an episode of Planet Earth. But without the HD cameras.
                        Big grin You guys just crack me up. Smile Timbo – legs feel good, pretty close to normal, but I’m doing only easy running for this week and next. Better to err on the side of careful than to blow it right when the weather’s getting nice. As for the RN, I'll echo Twocat on that one.... Big grin {{{healing vibes to Perch}}} Gordon – yay! 6.45 easy-paced miles for me today in 44° and light rain (ave pace 10:17).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Gordon: Congrats on the new job, one of my older brothers recently retired after a career as a Corrections Officer. We used to joke about my arresting them and his 'babysitting" them. Many of the thugs I arrested would be incarcerated for some lengthy times where he worked and we would laugh at some of the "wild tales" they would tell about their escapades and how they "kicked the cops ass" that busted them etc. Little did they know he was my brother (different last name from my mom's first marriage). Erika: Yeah we are tapering...really I am! I have tried to copy the training program especially the taper from last fall when I ran the Maine Marathon and had what I consider to be the most success. Not just with a PR but the way I felt during the whole run and my recovery as well. SteveP: You just gotta love those pics. And if anyone thinks TAG looks less than thrilled to be wearing them, just think of how he would feel with a name lke "Rabies Vaccination"! Big grin TimBo: Just one quick question...is Jody really pretty or what? Wink Oh and Joan Rivers, now there is a nice role model for anyone worried about what their face may look after running... Confused

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

timsy - not that you'd ever even make it past mile 16 with her anyway but maybe remind her of some of the benefits of running too. ps - should I add a shoe shopping spree to the Seattle RnR activities for the goddesses? Gordon - may you wear you new uniform to the SRnR Goddess Party?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - ...Mike Finch, editor of Runner's World's South African edition, says marathoners are "like sexual gods." Big grin Tim – re that article – it’s written by a plastic surgeon, right? Of course, the only runners he’s likely to see are those coming in to deal with their saggy skin. All the runners who don’t have that problem wouldn’t be coming to see him. Not exactly a scientific study....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

biketm good luck! I just hope I never have an RN with her "knowledge" taking care of me! Running causes wrinkles but only to women. ROFLMAO! My guess is some SPF 15+ will pretty much alleviate the problem. This is just too funny!
                                I went on a date once with a Psychologist, every time I said something she asked....how does that make you feel, as she analyzed everything I said Roll eyes...didn't see her again Bob "Oh and Joan Rivers, now there is a nice role model for anyone worried about what their face may look after running" Big grin stumpy77, it's not her license I would be concerned with...but her Insurance premiums (maybe she gets the "pretty girl discount"} TimBo