Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.12.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tramps, it sounds like fun being the idea guy! Were there any executions yesterday??

Dave, how cool that Annabelle and Claire are on the same wavelength - another RA relationship? Sorry about the sucking sinus thing.

Sounds like you had a great day yesterday, Marj. What did the book club discuss?

6 hours of meetings, Breger? Shoot me now...

Stumpy, the last time I spoke on the phone with someone in the middle of the night, I was sound asleep. I learned later that it was an interesting conversation...

Great face on the grand kid, Tselbes, even if he isn't smiling.

Nice ez-pz in the chill and windy, Ribs.

Sorry you're still sick, Mariposai, but I'm glad you're following orders and taking it easy.

Nice 10K-ish at lunch, Dave. Regarding the Master's Championships - it depends on the scheduling of the races, how many heats, etc.

Leslie - call anytime! If I'm asleep, we can still talk (see above). Tough workout yesterday, but you'll recover quickly.

I'm glad you took Hudson's advice yesterday, CNY. I never thought of an early workout as a Botox alternative. The things you learn here. Nice hill fartleks.

I'm glad you got back on the ice, Henrun, and that the fall only bruised your ego.

Nice TM run, Holly. I also love the look of steam rising off open water - it has a magical quality to it.

Welcome back, Twocat! I'm glad you had a good time on the snow in Utah, and a great long run in the chill (is it really you?) yesterday.

Nice 5er on the TM, Mike. Say, don't you have a trip coming up soon?

Nice temps, even in the rain, Enke!

Hi Deeze, Nite.

Nice progressive run after your rest day, Evanflein.

I checked the temp at 3:30 (4F), and got back into bed. I got up 15 minutes later, fed the cat, got dressed and went out for a workout - 5.95 RW miles. I was dressed OK, and had done some vigorous arm swings before heading out to get my furnace going. I was pleasantly surprised that my hands stayed relatively comfortable (meaning they didn't go numb). The near fool moon was sitting on top of the trees to the west, and looked huge - what a treat! When I got back, I checked the temp again, and it had dropped to 2F (WC at -10). Yesterday, I couldn't be bothered to go out in the cold, and today I couldn't hold myself back. Go figure...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...great pic tselbs//..................and Twocat is the only person I know who can use the word ''Augur'' in a sentence..........

==========

taking Pickles in for a biopsy on two lesions they found on her thyroid,

hopefully

they will be benign

................haven't felt like working-oout,

will have at it this weekend ( I hope)

..........they used to post ''Aches and Pains'' Indexes on TheWeatherChannel>>>>>>I suspect I'm in one

...........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Ha!  No executions, Jay.  That's a chilly workout this morning.

Upper teens here but somehow it felt colder than that today.  Brrr.  Sproinky 7 this morning. The forecast is for 6-9 inches of snow overnight, which will shut everything down around here.  Heck, I even pulled the cross-country skis out just in case it actually happens.  It's been a while since we've gotten that much.

Henry and Tet's mention of skating led me to dig this up:

Doesn't that look idyllic?  Maybe Tall will pop in again.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps

Twocat is the only person I know who can use the word ''Augur'' in a sentence..........

I use it all the time, as in "Hey, get the ice augur out.  I wanna do some fishin'!"

Be safe. Be kind.

...sorry,

I meant use it CORRECTLY in a sentence.....

also, this might be a good time to point out ''Flammable'' and ''Inflammable'' actually mean the same thing

No Reason.

Dave, we loved your comment about our son's dog.  Our son even laughed about it.  mari, I've wondered about hopeful, too.  tomw, I hope Pickles' biopsy turns out benign.  Nice long run, Twocat.

This morning, I did 4 miles on the TM at a 10:50 pace.  I'm beginning to wonder if the ice will ever get off the roads and the temperature above zero and single digits.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Poor tselbs. He posts one picture of his dog, and a guy who posts 34,000 pictures of his own dog works him over for it.

6 miles with 4 x 400 mixed in. Boy did that hurt!  I guess I was optimistic about how well my legs have recovered from Saturday's LR.

Tonight the LRS hosts a launch party for the New Balance Fresh Foam 980, and inasmuch as NB has given me a free pair to test wear, I'm going to the party then write about the shoe. I wore them today and they are super, so the rep has nothing to worry about from me.  Spareribs

Funny CNY about the botox run.  I've noticed the same thing, so maybe I will squeeze in a run before my meet-up with Door#11 tonight.   And, I have a meet-up with Door#12 next Wed.  I am completely floored by his impressive.....ahem.....CV.  I am going to feel like a dumb dumb around him.  And, he is 6'5".  Oh, and he runs!! 

tomwhite, my son recently told me about that flammable/inflammable thing.

My favourite weird English wording is "the alarm went off".  Try explaining to a 4 year old why that means the alarm sounded.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

It seems like when I get sick I feel like I will never get better.  Then one day I wake up and am mostly better.  It's always a pleasant surprise.

I did 3 short basement treadmill runs that added up to 6 miles.  I would run 2 or so, and then do some work, then repeat.

Growing up I loved to skate.  We had a homemade rink at the end of one of my friends' street and a creek that ran in front of our house.  Whenever I could I would be out skating and playing hockey.  Never anything organized and I probably had terrible technique.  When I moved up here to Michigan I decided to start skating again (after a couple decades off) and bought a pair of hockey style skates.  I went to an indoor rink and starting pretending that I was as good as I used to be.  First time I switch to go backwards I fell pretty hard and hit the back of my head on the ice.  That spooked me a little bit and I have only been out once since then.  I either need to buy a helmet or donate my skates to someone who would use them.

evanflein

And irregardless is not a word. Drives me nuts when people say that one.

Dave, we used to skate on a lake a mile or so from our house when we were kids. Someone from the nearby subdivision would clear the ice, and my folks would drop us off there for what seemed like hours but I'm sure it really wasn't that long. We'd skate all over, fall and get our skate blades stuck in the cracks that would inevitably show up. Now that lake is hardly ever used, although this year someone did clear part of it, and they also had an ice fishing hole out in the middle. I know now (thanks to thermometers in cars) that it's about the coldest spot along that whole road, but we sure didn't seem to mind as kids.

Tramps, that does look nice! What a beautiful city. (Hi Tall!)

I'm always on the lookout for new shoes, so interested to hear how Ribs liked that new NB model. I've been an Asics fan for years, but lately it seems they don't fit my feet like they used to. Enke, are you finding that too? I know we pretty much wear the same model/size.... (and don't sell yourself short with Door #12).

Cold, foggy and maybe some snow out there. Yeah, I love Fairbanks in February!   And a Facebook friend is posting pictures from Belize. Will have to kill her later. I'm hoping it warms up a little by this weekend, but not expecting much. I might try some outdoor runs anyway just to get outside. If nothing else, it'll renew my appreciation for the treadmill in the garage.

Marathon Maniac #957

I've been an Asics fan for years, but lately it seems they don't fit my feet like they used to. 

I have worn Saucony Rides since I started running 16 years ago, but the latest model seems to have narrowed the toe box considerably, and the sides of the tongue not roll up slightly, so every time I put them on I have to jam a finger down each side to straighten them out.  Looks like I am in the market for a new shoe myself.  Why do they go and change a good thing?

2 miles into my TM run this morning my machine shut down.  I tried to restart it but the belt did not want to go.  I am hoping that some TM lubricant will fix the problem, but I suspect my belt is getting pretty worn.  Is that something you can change yourself?  I notice they sell them at thetreadmilldoctor.com, but I don't think my manual tells you how to do that kind of repair.

So, 2 miles on the TM followed by lower body weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I am completely floored by his impressive.....ahem.....CV. 

What is a CV?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

What is a CV?

...Circling Vulture??

C-R

What is a CV?

Curriculum vitae (excuse the spelling - I'm just an engineer and its not numbers) = resume.

Nice hill workout today. Getting stronger I think.

Hey Jay - our furnace starts automatically. I bet I can connect you up with something. I love Rube Goldberg stuff. Just ask my kids.

I'm a NB guy Ribs so would love to hear more about these. The MR00's I use I simply love.

Alright back to work.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks CR re the CV. However, I’m with holly on not connecting  “cv” to dating ala job interviews, if not more.
                                Not having purchased any running shoes since 1990, I don’t know anything about them nowadays but, after the arrowhead-sharp, mechanically-crushed, so-called “improved” gravel surfaces in an ill-fated trail run some years ago left my otherwise comfortable foam thongs shredded in the first five miles, I’m wondering how foam in real shoes, no matter how comfortable, would be any better or durable.  Good luck.

If flammable is variant of inflammable, is tendonitis a variant of tendinitis?
                                Why isn’t specie (money) the singular of species (organisms)?
                                Is Are data always more than one datum?

Erika - Chief Justice Rehnquist once berated an attorney for using that word.
                                Irregardless is a semiliterate word formed from irrespective and regardless that should long ago have been stamped out. 

U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist once upbraided a lawyer who used irregardless in the midst of an already-stressful oral argument, saying: "I feel bound to inform you there is no word irregardless in the English language. The word is regardless. Linguistic fastidiousness is no less important in oral than written argument." The lawyer prudently thanked Mr. Rehnquist for the guidance and continued his remarks
                                ps - maybe twocat is an augur too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)