Masters Running

Feb 5th Runs and Stories (Read 483 times)

Slo

Good Morning Masters ! I'll be back to post more.......just wanted to get the day started !

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay, okay (Tim) ..... I was awake and I even walked downstairs to get ready for a run. BUT ......when you have a dog in heat and also the male dog in house, and you are breeding, things tend to get a little out of crazy at times. Let's just say that I did not get my run in .....but in about 60 days I'll be posting about new puppies!! I have a 6 mile OUTDOOR run scheduled after work. Yes, I will be doing it too!!! That's my Story and I'm stickin' to it!! Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Here is the red dress story: On Valentine's Day our club is having a 4-mile fun run in which all participants must wear a red dress. Over the weekend men were trying on these red dresses that people had brought in, causing much hilarity in the clubhouse. I tried one on too, but it was too small and so I announced that if I had to wear a dress, dammit, I was going to look good. So the Saint took me shopping yesterday. We started at the Christian Community Action store, a huge outlet of donated stuff, like a Goodwill. But the Christians tried to rip us off with prices of $25 and more, for frumpy dresses too. I didn't realize the Saint was also looking for a dress for herself, and after she continued to pull dress after unsuitable dress off the rack, I asked her why she was looking at all these dresses. In the most stentorian voice possible with a mess of people standing right near us she said, "I'M NOT HERE JUST TO FIND A DRESS FOR YOU!" So we left there and went to the Wal-Mart, and as I told the Saint later, "I found the most DIVINE little wrap-around dress..." about knee-length so I can run in it. So anyway, the run is on the 14th and of course we will take lots of pictures. Off to run 6. Spareribs
          Morning you two - where is everybody else?? OOhhhh puppies!!! I'll be looking foward to more puppy pictures. I'm getting the puppy urge myself, but I'm fighting it right now. Don't want to think about potty training in single digit weather. Thanks for the kickoff, Steve. Come back and tell us more....... 6.25 miles this morning on the treadmill. It felt like a -80 deep freeze when I let Jesse out this morning - much too cold to even think about running outside. I can't seem to get warm when it is this cold. I turn the thermostat up, and even 70 degrees feels cold to me. Interesting to see that they are taking another look at the Tylenol/cyanide incident 25 years after the fact. I barely remember throwing away all of my Tylenol at the time. Good runs to all - stay warm and dry out there!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

Well Mary, dog in heat....that changes everything Wink Smile Hey, really really strange but I have NO pain, and I am NOT the least bit sore from my impromptu 10 mile run Cool...Thats weird Confused My best Friend Doctor wants to see me today to try and make sense out of what my other foot Doctor told me Tues. My Doctor said "Tim, you ran 10 miles that fast and it was pain free, and you are pain free now. I can't imagine there is anything wrong with your foot now, or you would be hurting"... Cool I said. I have been seeing my best Friend doctor since 1984, and he has never charged me a dime. And I take care of him too with free repairs to his vehicle...if with in reason. No running last night, and will go to the Y and run on the treadmill tonight...and hope for no perrrrty wimmin Roll eyes Need to get some work done....14 hour work day yesterday, so I slept like a baby last night and feel greta today. Continued Hugs to Our Dear Sue...you are loved here at RA Seattle, here I come.... Have a great day all TimmiBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for a good morning laugh, Spareribs! I needed that. You'd better POST those photos for us! I'm sure you will look adorable. I haven't run at all this week. Cry I started new headache medication last Friday, but I think it's just making me feel icky. Yesterday morning I was worried because I had a horrible, piercing headache. I was about to call the doctor, when I SMELLED something - polyurethane. I asked DH, and sure enough, he'd put poly on some wood trim in the basement the night before. So that's what did it! I must be allergic to that stuff or something, because every time I'm around it, I get sick. I thought DH knew that!!! Maybe he figured it would be OK if he did it in the basement. Oh, well. We've also started the college search for DS16, so that's more reason for a headache. I'm glad he loves to run, but it sure is complicating the process, since his times seem to be in between what Division I and Division III coaches are looking for. Tomorrow is when DH gets part of his thyroid removed. You might recall my posting about his mild bleeding disorder and the fact that he will need two doses of blood clotting factor (over $40,000 for the two doses). At least we DID confirm that Anthem will pay for it! He has to stay overnight, so I'm farming our three kids out in order for me to stay with him. After a few bad experiences, I don't trust hospitals anymore, and I want to keep an eye on them! So that's why I haven't been posting lately, but I'm lurking and enjoying hearing about all of you. Your stories brighten up my day! Teresa
                I’m getting pretty discouraged now. My shin is not improving. I had to stop doing shin strengthening since that seemed to aggravate it. I don’t know what this is. I’ve had periostitis/MTSS before and it got better much quicker. It was also much higher in the shin – it was the result of running in shoes with too much stability. This time, it’s low on the leg, just above the ankle where the calf meets the tibia. Every time I get up from my desk at work I have to limp my first few steps and then it calms down and I can walk normally with soreness. No impact exercise since Saturday morning, the last two days I’ve done nothing and it still hurts. I think my May marathon is quickly going down the tubes. If I take another week off, lose all that fitness, and then start jogging slowly, slowly add miles, it’ll be March before I can start training and then I’ll only have like 8 weeks before the marathon. This sucks. It sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks. MTA: I appreciate all the suggestions for things that will help. I know them all. Pool running is not an option. The pool at the Y is VERY busy with swim teams and scheduled programs.

Good morning all, Busy at work and all that, but running again---Smile more miles than degrees today--3 miles (9:15 pace) at 6 AM---3º and -10º windchill---remained upright even though the local roads look like ice rinks and the snowbanks at the intersections are shoulder high. Okay, I am short---but still. Lots going on it appears---Ribs is cross dressing (for a good cause), Mary is making me think of puppies as I miss our departed doggie terribly, Tim is running strong----Hi Sue! Teresa, I am with you---the stories here make me grin even if I am not around much. Careful with the headaches. I get monster migraines and many chemicals are triggers for me. Back to my desk CNYrunner MTA---So sorry EGH3----the injury I am rehabbing means I am sitting out of Boston and had to shift lots of plans and dreams. Hang in there----it's very hard. I am grieving the loss of a mileage base I built up over 7 years---332 miles in September and now this. remember the long haul.

"older but not dead yet"

Cold morning to all (11° F) Did 5 miles of fartlek between the snow and ice patches. Trying to get myself race-fit for a 12K in San Francisco in Mar. It will be my first time racing in the Clydesdale division (over 200 lbs.) I'm 230 and 60 yrs. old, so I'm wondering if 9 min. miles will help me place? Alex
                    Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

Renee the dog

{{{EGH3's shin}}} Well I did not ignore my alarm this morning. Got up. Entourage followed me...didn't run. A quick look at 5 °F and two kids plus a dog snuggling on the couch at 6 a.m. made me decide to switch yoga to today and my run to tomorrow. It's supposed to be 10° warmer tomorrow at 6 a.m. Whoo hoo -- heat wave's coming!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

In a moment of insanity a while back I had posted a photo of myself in a red dress for my tap class recitial. Anway, Ribs, I would be happy to to send it down to you for The Saint or any other fellow runner's to use (and keep). Just say the word and it is outta here! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Ok, Made it back. Teresa.....Keeping your DH in thoughts and Prayers. EGH......Start eating high doses of Spinach......seriously ! Some of the best bone strengthing / repairing goodness you can get. I eat it everyday. Started a few years ago after I had developed stress fractures in my metatarsals. Ribs......Ahh, never mind Wink Last night I did a very easy 3.6 at 8:50 pace. This morning I slept in.
                            Sorry for your shin, EGH3. Good to see you getting out there again, Karin. abelisle - welcome aboard! Mary - puppies -- cool. (Sue - single digit potty training all through the night, yes wait until spring Big grin) SR, yes pictures are a must. nono - PDR had to poke me on the back this morning because my alarm wasn't waking me up. I'm sure it would have eventually but it was waking her up more than me. Usually she gets up ahead of me, but this morning had an extra 15 minutes she didn't want to waste. 13.1 miles, 1:55:40, 8:49/mi, AHR 145 (73% mhr) 12°F and windy. When you dress for it, it's ok -- but I could have done without the wind. No idea what the wind-chill was, but I'm sure it was down there.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

Spareribs, ...don't forget the red sandals, and the red handbag, and the red lipstick, and the Red Door perfume. Oh!!!!! I can't wait to see them pictures. Yesterday W/o 41F, left work early to be able to enjoy the sun for a bid. Left the house towards the park where I spotted some ice-free ground the other day, but as I ran by the track I found that there was a narrow path were I could run my speed workout. I must say right way that the ground was muddy, which later I found out it is not the best surface for speed w/o. So...2 slow w/u miles, some stretching, then I started my goal workout: 6x 1000m with one minute rest. Target time: 5:05. And they look like this: 1x1000m@ 5:10, 1"enjoy the sunshine rest. The cold mud felt awful on the feet 1x1000m@ 5:05, 1" rest...getting used to the cold mud 1x1000m@ 5:00, 1" rest...had to take off the jacket 1x1000m@ 5:15, 1" slower..a cute dog came to check me out 1x1000m@ 5:03, 1" the dAAve mix is great 1x1000m@ 5:00, 1" the mud wasn't so bad after all Ran another 4 laps, then ran back home. Total miles: 9 Today: 17F ...the owls woke me up...got up and went out for a sweetly slow 2 miler. Life is good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

EGH......Start eating high doses of Spinach......seriously ! Some of the best bone strengthing / repairing goodness you can get. I eat it everyday. Started a few years ago after I had developed stress fractures in my metatarsals.
                                Righto. Had chicken sausage and spinach stew for dinner last night and will have the rest for lunch today. Also have a bowl of baby spinach and greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a salad. I added an additional calcium/D tablet per day and an extra glass of milk. To your point, Very interesting read here on the reaction of the tibia and bone growth with these types of injuries: Conquering MTSS BTW, my new swedes and jammer have shipped. Thanks for those tips. If I can't run, maybe I can swim like hell. Sorry for my rant this morning. Just needed to blow off steam. If I can't walk w/o discomfort, i have no idea when I'll be able to run. Could be 4-6 weeks and that would kill the Spring marathon.