Masters Running

April 22 Boomer Runs and whatever .... (Read 523 times)

It seems almost sacreligious to post a little nothing run after all those dynamite Boston runs yesterday. But whatever. I am anxiously awaiting more of the RR's. I ran a super-slow 3.5 mile recovery run at 10:40 min/mile pace this morning. I'm not quite sure what it is I'm supposed to be recovering from, but smarter and faster people than me say this should be a recovery shuffle day - so be it. Feeling good and starting to get seriously excited. Boston will do that to a guy ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!! Such excitment yesterday. I am looking forward to reading all the Race Reports today. Out for 5 miles this morning with Brinkley. He was much more into the run than I was, so I was lucky to have him along to keep me moving. 9:49 average pace - actually had a 7:04 best pace deer fartlek mixed in there. Shocked Happy 2's-day!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

I know what Bill means about posting our meager runs after yesterday's big day. For me it was 3 slow miles around various parking lots near the Fairfield Inn in Livonia, MI. I did run by the restaurant where I am meeting dg and Rochrunner tonight for dinner. Heck, it's walking distance from the hotel. Thanks Roch for that choice. I won't get a chance to read any RR's until tonight, but for those of you who want to read a great report, check out CNY's. What a pro. Spareribs
          What a beautiful day! Tough workout this morning. 3k warmup 6X3 minutes at half marathon pace interspersed with 6X2 minutes at 10K pace (no rest in between) 3K cooldown My calves are so tight from Sunday's half marathon and 11k cooldown. Question: I have had PF before but I currently feel some slight radiating prior to running on the left inside/mostly outside of my right foot just above the arch. Anybody have this before? I am treating with ice and rolling and strenghthing exercises. Other thoughts. Ottawa marathon is only 5 weeks away and I still have 3 fairly heavy weeks of training. Manageable now but I do not want it to get worst. Thanks Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

All I can say Breeger is do the taper and trust your training! Rest day my quads are sore!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I did run by the restaurant where I am meeting dg and Rochrunner tonight for dinner. Heck, it's walking distance from the hotel. Thanks Roch for that choice. Spareribs
              I'm jealous! Have a drink for me . . . Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Steve, congrats on your BQ again...! and congrats to all the Boston runners yesterday. You guys did a great job!....Now post lots of pics & race reports Smile 10.17 miles of hills @ 8:54 pace this morning. Good runs to all today/

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

No running for me today or any day until my calf feels back to 100%. Without a goal race in sight there is no reason to push it. I read through yesterday's daily and I want to thank the many that posted notes of concern and the expressions of sympathy for me when I decided a DNS was the best of my available choices. FWIW I made my bed and made my peace with lying in it. It is not in me to have just stopped running after my injury and live with the idea of going to the starting line half trained. I knew I was gambling: line up ready to attempt a PR and risk a DNS or back off and guarantee that I can run. I took the risk and lost. This time. Such is life. But, I am not dead yet! There are other races to come and I hope to be at them. Yesterday watching the marathon was itself a lot of fun. Once I bailed on the race my DW and I went to Plan B which consisted of breakfast and then a T ride to my niece's apartment near the 23 mile mark. From there we cheered on the runners as they came by. Early on it was cool with IRC. But as time wore on it got hot! When you read the race reports you should know the kind of heat and sun our follow Master Runners went through. For the spectators it was great! But you could see how the heat and sun was wearing the runners down. Those starting in the second wave deserve a special award for their perseverance towards the race's finish. I tried to spot people as they came through but I fear I was mostly unsuccessful. The course was thick with runners! I found that unless you know what somebody is wearing you have little chance of spotting them. Heck, I even missed my training partner! Congratulations to all our runners yesterday and in the days to come. Finally, for somebody's list of spectator tips let me add one. Do NOT count on the T to get you anywhere post-race! One of my DW's neices nearly missed her flight as a 6 mile T ride took 2 hours! Yes, you read that right 2 hours! <rant>Whoever is in charge of mass transit in Boston should be totally ashamed of the system's complete breakdown yesterday. Yes, demand was huge. But not unexpected. NYC's subway does not collapse during similar events I see no reason for Boston's to do so.</rant> To avoid ending on a down note let me also add that if you ever get a chance to spend some time cheering people through the Boston Marathon I highly recommend doing so. I guarantee you will have a great time!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning Boomers. 4 easy miles at a 9:41 pace this morning followed by upper body weights and lots of ab work. My DH taped the Boston for me and we watched it last night. My heart goes out to the woman (forgot her name) who led the entire race and lost at the finish by 2 seconds because she had nothing left. But what a spectacular finish!!! Entirely too much time spent on following Lance Armstrong - too many other good stories out there that were missed because of his celebrity. We all know he's a tremendous athlete.... Spareribs, enjoy your dinner with dg and Rochrunner tonight. Mary, I would love to have been there when Brinkley took off and you ran your 7 minute mile! Ya gotta love the pets! Nice to see our Boston boomers back and I'm anxious to read all the reports. Twocat, you did the right thing. Your race will come at another time. Good Tuesday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                      Well, I came into work this morning to find a bit over 500 emails in my inbox from the past two weeks Shocked. I got rid of about 150 junk ones without reading them, but I at least have to scan the rest of them. No running today, but I took my bike out to the the park yesterday and did 16 fast riding miles at about a 16mph average (rolling hills circuit). The weather went directly from winter to summer here in the time I was gone, but I'm not sure it'll last. The riding didn't bother my leg in the least, so I'm hoping for a good run tomorrow when I settle back into my usual routine. This is also my first week of semi-retirement, as I'm officially cutting back to four days a week until mid-August, when I call it quits for good. If yesterday was a taste of retirement, I'm ready for it! Good running to everyone, and get the rest of those Boston RRs posted. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Just an easy 5 miler this morning...DD#1 is sick so I'll be staying home with her and reading all the great RRs...7:46 pace
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        anachrotech

3 miles yesterday and only 2 this morning. Good runs all.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Boomers, Great race yesterday at Boston by all our Boomers. Thanks to Vista we were able to follow you throughout the race. You have inspired all of us to reach our goals whatever our race distance. For me that will be 5k-10k for the rest of this year, but maybe next year I will move up to the Half. Today was a speed day for me. 6x400 with 400 recoveries. 1 mile wu and 1 mile cd for a total of 5 miles in 45:43@ 9:09/mile. wu: 1 mile 9:44 1 400 1:50 2 400 1:41 (too fast!) 3 400 1:49 4 400 1:46 5 400 1:51 6 400 1:50 cd 1 mile 10:05 Have a great day of rest all of you who ran Boston, you earned it. The rest of you have a great run and a great day. Stay Tough! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg.

hi everybody. catch up day at work. imagine. so not much time... no running today, callanetics & yoga & something else (?) this morning, assorted stab. ball & so forth last night. running tomorrow oh boy. -). so nice all the RR's just waiting to be read. hoping all the weekend's racers are taking good care of yourselves and are pleased & proud.
                                I have said it before and will say it again today...I love going for runs at lunchtime. A nice little 6 mile jaunt at an average pace of 7:22. Good runs to everyone today. Good rest to everyone else, I think they deserve it!