Masters Running

Heart Rate Monitors (Read 218 times)

Okay, talk to me. Garmin 301. Like it? Hate it? Recommend something else along the same line?? I don't train by HR right now, but am finally convinced that I should give it a try. Thanks!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've got the 305 and love it. I don't use the HR monitor that much but I like having the option. Very reasonable on-line. Fran
        Thanks!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

The Jogger

fatozzig, I agree with Fran, I just got a 305, excellent. Roy
            I like my 305 and I use the HR strap on maybe half of my runs. For women, I wonder whether something built into a sports bra would be more comfortable (Polar, NuMetrex).
              I use my 305 and heart rate monitor on every run...I LOVE it!!!
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                I adore my 305. I started with a Polar, but, I wanted the GPS with HR capability. I haven't had a serious, run-stopping injury since I started low heart rate training.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

HermosaBoy

Garmin 305 -- I love it but get frustrated when it gives false readings (like the 190 BPM I got this morning while doing my morning scholg...). I use it as an overall indicator -- not a limiter.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

301 is a total waste of money relative to the 305. Get the 305. I have had both. As to the heart rate monitor I hardly ever use it for anything useful. But whether or not you will seems to be very dependent on who you are and how you like to train.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

What's the biggest difference between the 301 and the 305, besides price?? I can get the 301 through Costco for $120 until Friday, as opposed to over $200 for the 305. Also, it's my understanding that the 305 only holds a charge for about 10 hours, which could be a problem for me when doing any trail runs of 50k and over. My 201 (with no HR monitor) holds a charge for 13-14 hours.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

The biggest reason for the 305 is the accuracy, especially in areas with buildings, trees, etc. It is a newer generation GPS with better tracking. Besides that, the 301 looks clunky and the 305 looks more like a real watch. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Top 'O the World!

If it's freshly charged, you should be just fine....mine has "beeped" that the battery was low at least 90 mins before it "died"...but none of my info was lost! Smile I didn't track how long that actually was..was running trails intermittently while camping & sometimes forgetting to shut it back off....IMHO: $200 is worth what I get out of it Cool stuff!
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group