Masters Running

April 1st runs and shenanigans (Read 462 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm in a real ornery and chatty mood soooo, here goes folks... 4 recovery miles last night - 38:32 - 9:38 ave pace. Hope everyone has a great "TimBo Fools Day"....hey, did ya hear about what happened Smile TimBo At work early this morning, and have about 3 days worth of work to get done today, with my month end stuff and meetings today...wish me luck. ( maybe I should say good luck to the folk I mess with today Big grin)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy APRIL! Ahh, but Tim, you said you don't mess with people on April Fools Day. Nice recovery run last night. My alarm clock was dark this morning when I woke up, so I assumed our power was out. Got out of bed to stumble my way around the house and I see that DH's clock is working perfectly and it was past running time. April fool's to me?? So .... I will have to run after work in the wind which is supposed to get stronger as the day goes on. Ah well! I did sleep good though as Momma Dog seemed more relaxed too.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mary, ordinarily I don't mess with people on Aprils fools day (really throws them for a loop)....but there are all sorts of new people running around the dealership today - job shadower's (easy pickins) - consultants - new vendors - GM Reps...hehe TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim....what happened? I must have missed it.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Tim - glad I don't work for YOU today! Hey - what do you think about the pres firing the head of GM? Bet you have some thoughts on that subject! Mary - it's good to sleep in sometimes. Sounds like both mothers need a few extra zzz's this morning. You're right though - don't like running in the wind which always seems to be an afernoon issue in our part of the world when it's spring. Cross training for me today. 5 miles on the eliptical, 5 minutes jumping rope, some core exercises. My IPod was playing Todd Rundgren's "Bang on the Drum" this morning. Now I'll be hearing that song all day. Have a great April fool's day everyone.
              I swam 1600 meters this morning. (No, really. I did!) The first time I've swam a mile since I was about 21 or 22. Alternated 3 lengths freestyle and 1 length breaststroke. Everything was cruising today. The best the swimming has felt since ... 21 or 22. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for everything yesterday. I am off to the track and will post later. I do want to say that there were a number of ideas I hadn't considered, all of them thoughtful and helpful. This is what makes the forum special, in that one can always tap into the expertise and kindness of others. But I do have to ask Mariposai why she suggested I run 800's at 5:05. That's a 10:10 pace! Riblet doesn't realize it's April Fool's Day, but he will when he gets to school and tries to put on his school shoes. The Saint has stuffed the toes with some kind of wadding. She may regret this. Spareribs
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

6.6 happy miles this morning - felt awesome!! Today is when DS and I fly down to Austin to look at UT, so I'm on cloud nine. He got up at 5 am to run 6 miles. I can say without doubt that I would NOT have done that at his age. Have a great day, everyone! Smile Smile
                  Tramps

Carolyn—good news regarding your father! You must be relieved. I missed Ribs’ “design-my-workout” post but it doesn’t really matter; I would have just duplicated Nono’s suggestion, which was spot-on. Easy 5.3 for me. (5 deer out my window as I type this!) ETA: Hey Lou, do you know this guy? http://www.runningahead.com/logs/80fdfc0603fd419ea94f6e08fa2639f7/profile

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Nice swim Bill........That's what I did too. Opened with 850yds then switched to drills. I really need to figure out how to get back to 4 days/week of swimming if I'm going to improve. The YM closed up a location and combined pools......we have 5 lanes and we are supposed to sign up. This morning we had seven in the water with two people on deck waiting. It used to be that if you missed a workout you could sneak one in later that day or add another day in but now the pool is so busy that this is no longer an option. Combine that with Tri season starting to pick up and more people wanting to use the pool Dead Anyway, there is just no comparison to starting the day off with a good swim. Ahhhh, the smell of Chlorine on my skin. The wind here has been murder. Last night I was about 1/2 mile from home when I ran into a fellow runner I know. We stood along side the road and talked about last weekends race. The wind was so strong it would actually shift you causing you to scoot your feet in order keep balance. Go Get'em Masters !
                        Six non-foolish miles for me this morning -- 35º and rain on the way later today. I ran a hilly route and it felt good to get some different muscles working. Wonder how Riblet handled toe jamming! That Saint! We told the kiddo that a water main break in town had closed school for the day. Poor kiddo---he is such a grouch in the morning and he ran back down the hall and jumped back into his bed before we could say April Fool. I sent Mr. CNYrunner in there to fess up and face the wrath. I remember to this day the stern look over the eyeglasses my father fixed upon me when he discovered that I had switched the sugar for the salt. Nonoruns had the best workout suggestion for Ribs by far. Classic indeed. Have fun at UT Teresa Great news Carolyn!
                          Good morning, all! Carolyn - great news about your Dad! Sleep in day for me and no run planned for this afternoon. I'll visit the gym for lunch and do core and upper body weights. Happy Fools day to everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Soccer season is here. DS plays select, and just had his first game last weekend. DD, at age 6 is already starting her 5th season of rec. soccer, since they start at 4 years old here. I’ve always coached DD’s team, not because I ever played soccer, but because I wanted to be able to arrange her practices at the same time and location as DS’s, so I could transport both when DH worked overtime. Coaching is great, though, and I have really enjoyed the experience. This Saturday I will get the roster for my spring team, and I’m looking forward to meeting the kids. This division is 5 and 6-year-olds, and they are just a hoot. DD is surprisingly good, team high-scorer last season, partly because she is very competitive and partly because she is a tireless runner on the field. Of the family, she is the most natural runner, and when she and I sprinted across the field in a race back to the car last weekend, I could barely keep up with her. Surprised DD announced last night that she wants to start running with me in the morning, so she can outrun her opposition. DS hates running, and sekritly I have harbored hopes that DD may one day want to run with me, so I told her that if she was ready after my run today, I would take her out. Sure enough, when I got back this morning, there she was in her sneakers and sweatpants. In order not to overwhelm her on her first effort, we drove down to the bottom of our hill and ran on a more level road. I thought she’d make it about a block before giving up, but she completed a whole mile, albeit with several short walking breaks. She wants to do it again tomorrow. I don’t know how long her resolve will hold, but it was a joy for me to be able to share that with her today. Smile 7.12 miles for me today, including 2.12 mile WU, 2 miles @ MP, 2 mile CD, and 1 mile run/walk with DD. A little more than I had planned, but I’ll just shave a mile off tomorrow’s run.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

With my anti-training brain still reeling after taking nearly 6hr/40 minutes to do in the Dizzy Daze without that much training what SRL did more than two hours faster and fanci was already at 38 miles, it's probably time to junk my anti-training mindset and adopt some of the wise training advice posted yesterday so it'll be an eazie/peezie 20 mile MP PDQ HR 150 this afternoon with some classic 800’s with 4 repeats (since it's my 1st session), 4 x 800m with 200m Active recovery, Interval pace 8:41/mile plus Recovery Pace 10:15/mile or Interval Time, 2:09 – 2:12 / 800 and Recovery Time: 1:15 – 1:18 / 200, 2x1 mile at 120 strides per lap, separated by a one lap recovery/1 mile cooldown to get a nice 4.25 mile run, with a baseline mile measurement (done twice to validate the first mile time wasn't a fluke) as I should find it quite easy and if more stimulation is required I can always add in an interval and maintain the pace or do more of a speed ladder so I can end with a swift pace without going too far and overtaxing all the systems or not being too agressive It will probably be worthwhile to walk .5 mile with purpose---thinking about the form in the past and about the future and moving into a shuffle jog to test breathing and run for 1.5 - 2.5 miles and, if the latter, slowing down in the last .5 and move into the workout of 2x400 at 1:45 seconds with a 45 second jog rest interval, 1x 600 at 2:47-2:50 (7:30 pace) with a 3 minute jog rest interval, 1x 800 at 3:53-4:00 (7:50 pace) with a 3:30 minute jog rest interval before going back down the ladder if feeling recovered enough to hit each speed portion in the time range without struggling with a warmup jacket aroungd my waist to start the mile repeats with a nice relatively easy progressive run to see how the legs feel. I also liked the part about running 2 miles as a cool down at about 9:00-9:15 pace and walk the .5 before skipping the other side of the ladder and running 3 miles easy, .5 walk and 2 mile WU and 2 mile CD with 2x1 mile at 120 strides per lap, separated by a one lap recovery and 1 mile cooldown to get a nice 4.25 mile run, with a baseline mile measurement (done twice to validate the first mile time wasn't a fluke) the advantage if this being that even not doing any speedwork in a while lets you ease into it.. To get the juices flowing and give a nice Tempo pace benchmark, I might just forget the Intervals as, after running the last lap of last weekend's Dizzy Daze without stopping, I probably don't need any real speedwork at this point and a better benchmark at Current Conditioning would be running Tempo pace instead at 8:45's once in a while with the comment of "easy" or "feeling good" and not using the last 5K time trial either as it's apparent I'm in much better shape now especially for running 1.5 to 2 miles easy as a warmup, then run 3 miles "comfortably hard" somewhere between 7:55 and 8:15 being sure not to overdo this, run more like HM at fartlek pace and not 10K pace to say nothing of 5K pace, or 50K pace, or 50mile pace even though, when in normal shape, these paces are like walking, but this is now, not then, and not yet the future which will apparently never come after all for me with regard to training until next April Fool's Day. Smile. ps - I saw on the midnight weather forecast that the birch trees are starting to bud in Fairbanks. pps to timbike - I checked out the giant hill at mile 16 of the Seattle Rock'n'Roll that we're all worried about for you but it's really not that bad and you should be able to handle it after all without any problem, . . . . . TIMBO FOOL'S DAY! Big grinBig grinBig grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Riblet doesn't realize it's April Fool's Day, but he will when he gets to school and tries to put on his school shoes. The Saint has stuffed the toes with some kind of wadding. She may regret this. Spareribs
                                This is exactly what I did to PBJster #! and her pink converse ones this morning. I stuffed the toes with newspaper. She had it coming - she switched cereals in the cereal boses. So when I went to pour the fiber one box into my bowl, rice krispies came out. I think April Fools Day is a national holiday or something in the PBJ household. Anyways, late start to the morning, so I could only spin. The instructor selected "In the Navy" by the Village People as one of the songs to spin to - guess what's replaying in my head today? Sorry.