Masters Running

Masters Running Newbie (Read 328 times)

I Can Go The Distance

Hello Masters Runners, I am 58 yrs old and live in Southern California. I have been running on and off since high school. In my 20's and 30's I ran 10ks and marathons. I took about 10 yrs off from running and gained about 50 lbs. When I turned 50 I decided to do something about my weight and started running again. These days I run about 25-30 miles a week and run mostly 5k races. My lastest race and best time in years was this last Sunday. I ran the Village Runners St. Pat's Day Race in Redondo Beach. I finished in 24:20. It's the first time I have been under 8 min miles in years! Looking forward to being a part of this great running group for Master's! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

King of PhotoShop

Pretty respectable time, and a great way to say hello. So hello, and I hope you post often. Spareribs
      Henrun

Welcome. I used to live in the LA area and enjoyed my runs along the beach. I'm almost 74 and am happy to greet 'older' runners on this site.
          welcome bruce!! congrats on a great race!! i used to live in Costa Mesa - loved it out there!!

denise

Welcome Bruce, Nice race!
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Welcome Bruce. Congratulations on that great 5K. Post often. TomS

jules2

Welcome Bruce, on Monday we will be the same age but I have 5 inches on you, height that is. Also we run about the same monthly mileage but I do cycling as well. I've got a varied taste in music just to my left are Air, Daft Punk, Tinariwen, Prince, Gogol Bordello, OMFO and of course the Beach Boys. What are you into?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

SteveP

Welcome Bruce!!!! I started running when the High School Track Coach said, "Get away from my daughter". I decided it's a good idea to be a runner ever since. 46 here. For the last 3 years I've had about 20 races a year. Only one with you 5K time. It's good to meet you. Post early and post often.

SteveP

TammyinGP

Welcome to the Master's Group Bruce!

Tammy

GreenMan

Welcome, Bruce. I look forward to some 5k reports. jjj
                      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                        Howdy neighbor! I'll probably run in your neighborhood to train for the upcoming Palos Verdes half marathon...there's a 5K too if you're interested. p.s. I wrote to you in yesterday's daily about the Village Runner July 4th 5k.

I Can Go The Distance

Howdy neighbor! I'll probably run in your neighborhood to train for the upcoming Palos Verdes half marathon...there's a 5K too if you're interested. p.s. I wrote to you in yesterday's daily about the Village Runner July 4th 5k.
                          Dromedary: I read your note about the 4th thank you. I don't really like th 5k at PV. If I am going to run that course I might as well do the half. Also I have run the marathon and half at PV so many times, I don't enjoy it that much any more. I have never run Lomita, and I think I could possibly place in my age group, so I think I will concentrate on that race. When do you run here on the Hill? I run at the PVPHS track during the week, but on Saturdays I run from Silver Spur and Basswood to the top of Crest Blvd at Crenshaw. That's about 8 to 10 miles depending how I run on Crest. Maybe we could run together some Saturday morning. I usually go at 7 am. You mentioned that your husband does 5ks. What age division is he in? I am in 55-59 group. Can't wait to get to 60-69 in two years. I'll be the young gun again! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

huskydon

Hi there BC! Welcome to our group, hope you post often. My story is amazingly similar to yours, ran 3 10k"s and 2 marathons in my 20's, ran on and off for a number of years. When I turned 50, I wanted to run in a 10K again, did and got hooked on running (and racing) again. I actually live close to Redondo Beach and have actually run that race in Lomita a few years back. It is a flat fast course, a bit on the dull side scenary wise, but still a good fast inexpensive race. I had been considering it as well. But I am in the 50-54 yr AG, so I won't be competing with you! Good luck, and I hope we can meet sometime! huskydon

Runs with ALTITUDE!

What age division is he in? I am in 55-59 group. Can't wait to get to 60-69 in two years. I'll be the young gun again!
                              LOL Bruce! At 49 I'm currently at the tail end of the 44-49 age group and trying to win/place in some of my races this year....'cause I know I'll be slower than some of the 50+ folks when I get into that age group in September!!!
                                Dromedary: I read your note about the 4th thank you. I don't really like th 5k at PV. If I am going to run that course I might as well do the half. Also I have run the marathon and half at PV so many times, I don't enjoy it that much any more. I have never run Lomita, and I think I could possibly place in my age group, so I think I will concentrate on that race. When do you run here on the Hill? I run at the PVPHS track during the week, but on Saturdays I run from Silver Spur and Basswood to the top of Crest Blvd at Crenshaw. That's about 8 to 10 miles depending how I run on Crest. Maybe we could run together some Saturday morning. I usually go at 7 am. You mentioned that your husband does 5ks. What age division is he in? I am in 55-59 group. Can't wait to get to 60-69 in two years. I'll be the young gun again! Bruce
                                hi Bruce, my hubby is the same age as you but he's not as fast since if I push him hard he can do a 11:30 min. mile tops Wink. He just started running in the last few years because it takes me about 2.5 hours to do a half marathon and he needed something to do while he waited, so he entered the 5Ks while I was out there. Your Crest Blvd. route sounds interesting (I haven't run there before). I usually run on the PV Drive West dirt path. For longer runs I usually start in So. Redondo Beach and go up Paseo Del Mar to PV Drive, then go to where the Marineland sign used to be and turn around. But my pace may be a bit slow for you since I tend to do Galloway Method and average 12:00 min/mile on the dirt. you can email me at dromedaryc6@excite.com