Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 3/30/08 (Read 651 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's the tally for last week. Let me know if I missed you or got something wrong.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    CNYrunner75 The most miles since 1988!
    Jim2431571 What is this grass loop that you run on?
    Hermosaboy65.2 PR in 4-mile race – excellent!
    Perch64.2 Excellent 21-miler at MP plus 10%!
    Twocat64 Last ski day till next winter...do you waterski?
    Ultrachick60 Exceeded her mileage goal for the week, and with a 24-mile LR!
    Breger58.25 Fast paces!
    PJH57.1 Lots of tempo running.
    Pfriese52.7 A trail hike as well – I’m ready for some of those with my kids.
    Busiman51 Welcome back, fast guy!
    Holly50.1 Got to run with CNYrunner!
    Wa5yom50 Strong running, but tired legs...
    Biketm45.5 Running funk – I understand, my fren...
    Evenflein45.5 These fast-paced LRs are awesome – you are really in top form!
    Roy C43 Welcome, Roy!
    Slojim42.5 With progressive runs and racquetball.
    PeterNC42.47 A marathon to start the week!
    Predawnrunner42.1 Still injury free and feeling good – that’s what’s most important.
    Evryday41.2 PR for weekly mileage!
    SirWalksalot 40.05 We had that same Easter weather here – that’s why I switched my LR to Saturday...
    Btb149029.3 Ouch! Hurt himself this week – hopefully a quick heal.
    Here's my plan for the coming week. This is the last big week of my Boston training, and I'll be topping off possibly my highest mileage week ever with the ORRRC Marathon, run just as a training run. My legs are so tired, I admit I'm dreading it a bit. I know several of you run this kind of mileage all the time - I don't know how you do it. My plan just calls for 22 miles on Sunday, so I may just walk the last 3-4 miles of the marathon, if it feels like the right thing to do.
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday4 miles4.25 miles Easy pace, plus some core work
    Tuesday8-11 miles 12.25 miles 5 @ MP
    Wednesday7 miles 6 miles Easy pace
    Thursday8-11 miles 10.25 miles Hill work
    Friday0 miles0 miles Weights and abs
    Saturday4 miles 4.5 miles Easy pace
    Sunday26.2 miles 26.8 miles Not a race, just a training run.
    Total57-63 64.1 miles - PR

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

HermosaBoy

Another week down. 3 weeks until Boston! Holly thank you so much for your effort in keeping this thread alive. You are too Cool
      DayPlanActualCommentary
      Sunday2222 in 2:43:38 CARPY footing thwarted my plan for the last 5 miles at MGRP. Still a good run!
      Monday0.0 4.10.0 0.0 AM – Slept in PM – Life in the way
      Tuesday4.1 60.0 9.0 in 1:06:53 AM – Slept in AHR: 127 / Max: 151
      Wednesday4.1 156.0 in 48:06 13.0 in 1:34:41 AHR: 123 / MAX: 135 AHR: 130 / MAX: 151
      Thursday4.1 5.03.0 in 26:09 6.0 in 48:05 (4 miles with CamScam) AHR: 120 / MAX: 127 AHR: 115 / MAX: 148
      Friday4.1 4.00.0 4.1 in 28:43 includes 1 mile of step down 1/4s to sharpen for race tomorrow AM – Slept in AHR: 130 / MAX: 161
      Saturday1319.15 in several runs Includes 7 mile race in 41:30ish
      Total85.581.2 VERY happy to be in the 80s with 4 missed runs. Quality result in race.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks again Holly Smile Hope I'm over my running funk last week Mon - 6.5 easy miles still trying to recover Tues - 10 miles - with 5 miles at hard tempo Weds - 45 miles cycling - moderate pace with cycling bud - 18.5 mph ave Thurs - 6.8 easy miles - quads sore and didn't feel good Fri - Rest Sat - 11 miles - cut long run short Sun - 7 miles easy - legs felt better Total - 41.3 Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

This will be a bit of a cutback week with a lower total number of miles. But it will conclude with my 1st 20 miler of this training schedule.
          DayPlanActualComments
          MondayPlanned Rest Day0.0 miles
          Tuesday6 miles GA6.1 miles9:09 pace overall, but had five 8:50's in there
          Wednesday14 miles, 8 x 5 mins. Mod.+ pace, 2 Mins. between14.0 milesRepeats run at 7:35, 7:32: 7:39, 7:38, 7:37, 7:41, 7:42, and 7:41
          Thursday4 miles recovery4.0 miles10:15 min/mile pace
          Friday6 miles GA6 milesA carbon copy of Tuesday's run!
          Saturday4 miles easy4 milesTreadmill
          Sunday20 miles Pfitz-style Progression20.1 miles1st 8 miles @ 10:00 min/mile pace. Next 5 @ 9:35, last 7 miles started @ 9:14 & worked it down to 8:44 by the end.
          Totals:54 miles54.2 miles
          Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks Holly! 60 planned. Last week before Taper!
            DayPlan Actual Comments
            Monday 0 mi Rest0 migood sleep
            Tuesday6 mi recovery w/ 6x100m strides6 miat 9:28 AHR 148 with 8 strides
            Wednesday10 mi w/ 4x1200m@5Kish10.2 miat 8:09 pace OA, incl 4 x 0.75 mi speed sessions which avgd 7:06 with varied terrrain and turnarounds
            Thursday6 mi recovery w/ strides6 mi9:39 pace, AHR 142 with 8 strides
            Friday12 mi GA12.2 miGA/Tempo avg 7:51 with 10 mi at 7:45 alternating 8:00 and 7:30 pace miles
            Saturday6 mi recovery6 miez 9:08 pace
            Sunday20 mi LR20 mi8:44 pace practiced with 10:30 start... solid run
            Totals:6060.4done, let taper begin!!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hello 40/40s!! Breger's cut back is more than my attempted personal most! It's awesome to be able to talk running and to share running plans with you guys/gals. Two things are happening here....internet access has made it possible and the folks in this group are simply the best! Thank you! Mon.....rest........rest Tues....6miles......6miles Wed....12miles......9miles Thurs...rest........rest Frid.....6miles......rest Sat......rest........6miles Sun.....20miles.....20miles Total...41 miles Thank you , Holly! Way to go with your training run Marathon today.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              evanflein

Good luck on the marathon-as-training-run thing, Holly. I've never been able to do that. Here's my week, like others it's the last high week before Boston taper. This is the "schedule" but I might change it as weather/kids' soccer schedules require...
                Day Plan Actual Comments
                Monday XT DayDoneElliptical, walking, weights and ab stuff
                Tuesday5 Tempo6.55 milesHilly route, 8:33 avg pace
                Wednesday10 miles w/5@MP10 milesRolling hills, 8:23 avg pace
                Thursday5 miles EZ6.8 milesReally worked on slowing down, EZ strides... 8:34 avg pace Embarrassed
                FridayRest Day0 miles2.25 walk with the dog
                Saturday10 miles10.5 milesAwesome tempo run on rolling hills, 7:59 m/m avg pace
                Sunday20 miles21 miles8:34 avg pace, included lots of hills after mile 7; last two miles were 7:53 and 7:56
                Totals:50 Miles54.9 miles actual running total(feel like I should go run .1 mile...)
                  Thanks Holly..... Week beginning March 24 Week 4 of Pfitz (modified 24 week/55 mpw) Schedule Mesocycle 3, Race Preparation Goal Race - Boston Marathon, April 21, 2008 Weeks to Goal Race - 5 Short Term Goal – Red Bud Classic, 10K, OKC., April 6. Weeks to short term goal - 2 E Pace - 9:26 - 11:12 (1-2 minutes slower than MP) LR pace - 8:26 - 9:12 (110%-120% of MP) MLR pace - 8:26 - 9:12 (110%-120% of MP) GA - 9:00 (Getting in the miles) MP - 7:40 (Based on current VDOT), revised 7:48 Tempo - 7:13 - 7:24 (15K - 1/2 Marathon pace), revised 7:30 VO2Max – 6:46 (5K race pace) Monday Rest – Complete, Rest. Tuesday 5 Easy with 6X100m strides – Complete. Wednesday 10 VO2Max miles + 4X1200@5K pace; jog 2 minutes in between – Complete, 10 Easy miles. Thursday Rest – Complete, 10 GA miles. Friday 10 GA miles - Complete, Rest. Saturday 4 Recovery miles – Complete, 21 mile progressive LR. Sunday 20 LR – Complete, 5.5 Easy miles. Weekly Mileage Plan – 49 miles. Weekly Mileage Actual – 51.5 This week’s goal – Train injury free, so I need to pay special attention to my right shin. Keep the ice coming. I will likely try to replace my VO2Max workout with a Tempo run. I need to have a strong LR on Sunday, either a Pfitz progressive or MP. Weekly Summary – The shin splints are getting better, but not gone yet, so I am still backing off of speed work. Had to rearrange my schedule due to Sunday plans. Saturday’s LR went very well.

Ultrachick

Here's my week-Thanks Holly for keeping track of all this!
                    DayPlanActualCommentary
                    Monday OffOffSwitched day off from Sat to Monday
                    Tuesday68Fartlek run, beauty of a morning, feeling guilty not running yesterday so went little extra-too much easter candy
                    Wednesday8844 and sunny-Spring is coming-the geese are flying North!
                    Thursday126Plans are changing by the minute!
                    Friday8264 inside/ 22 outside in wind and more snow!
                    Saturday40Had enough of wind & cold today teaching skiing
                    Sunday1213Nice morning with sun and no wind!
                    Total5061I'm ready to start backing off!
                    Good job everyone! Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    PJH

Plan and actuals for the week ... continue to log the miles
                      DayPlanActualCommentary
                      Monday12.012.0"Double Monday" - 6 & 6... ez pace ~ 9:54 ... hr ave 135
                      Tuesday9.010.033 mins tempo/LT pace @ 7:51 ... miserable weather
                      Wednesday6.06.060 mins ez-pace recovery run ...sunny Smile
                      Thursday9.09.940 mins or 5.0 mi @ LT/tempo 7:56
                      Friday00Planned rest day
                      Saturday18.018.0Ez pace @9:53 ... the legs are weary
                      Sunday3.04.1EZ pace recovery
                      Total57.060.01st 60 mi week
                      Feel good about getting in at least one 60 mile week this training period with another LR. Let the taper begin. Hope to run ~ 45, 35 and 25 over the next 3 weeks. Thanks for your recaps Holly. This thread is very motivational as you observe what others are doing. Great running everyone! PJ
                        Still windy out here.... M--7.62. 1:10:50, a little stiff from yesterday's LR, HR:155 (high)/139 (ave) T-- W--10.79, 1:33:11, last 5k at MP, HR 168/144 Th-- F-- S--16.06, 2:39:11, hilly chilly, windy (the holy trinity of complaints), at least it's done; HR 161/129 S--7.62, 1:15:56, easy evening run; 145/126 Total: 42.09 miles Good luck in your practice Marathon, Holly!
                          Coming down the final stretch to Boston! Three cheers for Holly for maintaining this thread! Oh yes, I have water skied. Boy am I awful!
                          DayPlanActualForecastReality
                          Monday1010.266AM, 4PM6AM, 4PM
                          Tuesday1111.2311mi w/ 6x1200m but will likely bail! I did it. Sort of. Nowhere close to 5K pace. Still, it was painful!
                          Wednesday0 14.39 Meetings all day. Sad Meetings all morning! Then 60° when I got home! Big grin
                          Thursday148.14
                          Friday85.17 EZ pace with two friends.
                          Saturday5 0 Entered on Friday thanks to my ESP.
                          Sunday20 20.0630K race with 1.4 mile cool down. No more 20 mile runs before Boston!
                          Total68 69.25
                          Wednesday Update: My all day meeting ended just after noon! Three cheers! Smile Smile Smile When I returned home, early, it was partly sunny and best of all 60°! Wahoo! Decided right then and there to modify my schedule for the week by moving the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday runs all up a day and then resting my legs the day before the 30K race. All in all a much better schedule for the week. Did I mention is was 60° today? Sunday Update: Not a super race on my part. Still waiting for the results. Work has been a bear, too much of it, and I probably was not fully rested for this event. My DW told me I looked like I was dragging this morning. Still, I think it was a PR but I was expecting that since my times have improved considerably from last year. Oh well, it is not the big Kahuna race. Just a training race. Now on to the start of taper time! My favorite! In what other sport does NOT doing it count as training? Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks Holly My final buildup to Boston. Vermont is my peak race, but I'd at least like to beat my time for last year. Plan for the week: M - rest T - 9mi (2 x 4x800 ) - pulled a hip muscle halfway thru...grrr W - 3mi - resting hip instead of miles T - 10mi hills 9miles F - 5mi done S - 10mi @pace 9 miles...ran out of time S - 22mi (Hopkinton -> H.B. hill) done...I did the final hill twice to use up extra energy total - 51 miles
                            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                            also on Twitter
                              Holly….hang in there! These are the tough days when the legs ache and the spirit starts to wonder (and wander). You have put in the hard work and have been so consistent. It WILL make a difference! Be careful this weekend---even pacing and be good to yourself. Thanks for doing this…. Good Luck to all of us trying to make the miles work The week ahead for me: 3/24----Off/work travel/cranky internet connection and too many travel delays 3/25----12 miles with 2x20 mins hard (6 rest)---10 miles/1:31 easy on beach in FL 3/26----10-12 miles easy pace---10 miles/unstructured speed play/1:21 in Portsmouth, NH 3/27----16 miles with 3x25 mins at mp (5 rest)---16.1 with 3x 25 mins hard 3/28----8 miles easy pace----9 miles untimed/easy pace---felt fine 3/29----4 miles with a few strides----5.8 easy paced miles with a friend/51 minutes 3/30----22-23 miles (20 is race---rest is wu and cd)---22 miles/20 as race--like twocat...tired from work, but PR as well/I am with you ultrachick...time to back off! Total---72-74 miles---72.8 Sleep well, eat well, laugh well and often---slept little, eat okay---not enough---down to 105---did laugh lots though
                                Wow Holly - a marathon as a training run! I'm so impressed. I'm struggling with my schedule this week. Like others, it's the last big week before the Boston taper. However, dawndaughter1 is in town from Friday evening 'til mid-afternoon on Sunday and I hate to spend all those hours Sunday morning running, and then be too wiped out to do anything with my girls afterwards. I'm toying with the idea of taking Friday morning off of work to get 20 miles in, but maybe that makes my last long run too far out? Or I could do it Monday, I suppose, but Monday mornings are busy at work. Bleh.
                                DayPlan Actual Comments
                                Monday X-train 30 minupper body weights
                                Tuesday8 mi 8.0 mi GA, 9:29 pace
                                Wednesday9 mi --
                                Thursday? --
                                Friday?--
                                Saturday?--
                                Sunday?--
                                Totals:45-50 mi--

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason