Masters Running

Office Chili contest, help!!! (Read 26 times)

Mariposai

Our office has a chili contest this Wednesday.

I was railroaded into entering the contest.

Roll eyes

the truth is ...I don't really have good chili recipe...

help!!!

Please post your favorite recipe chili here!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Nancy:

so sorry you have been so under the weather lately.  Hope you are lots better soon.

I don't know if it's award winning, but a chili recipe I frequently make are variations of Alton Browns (of the food network) pressure cooker chili.    You don't need a pressure cooker, but the things that are different about his recipe is the use of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce (should be available in the Mexican food section of your grocery stores). The recipe calls for 2 peppers,  in his show he uses the whole can.   Also, the addition of the tortilla chips mellows it out,  You could substitute Masa or corn meal.

Marathon Maniac #957

This is my DH's favorite chili.  He says it tastes similar to Wendy's chili, but I've never had chili at Wendy's, so I don't know.  I do know it makes a big pot (I usually freeze half of it), and is pretty tasty.  You can take the basic recipe and spice it up as hot as you like.  Also, if you like, you can brown the beef ahead of time, and put it all in a crock pot and let it simmer all afternoon.

Chili Recipe

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef
        One 29 ounce can tomato sauce
        One 29 ounce can kidney beans, with liquid (or 2 14-oz cans)
        One 29 ounce can pinto beans, with liquid (or 2 14-oz cans)
        1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
        ½ cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
        3 medium tomatoes, chopped (or one 14-oz can diced tomatoes)
        2 teaspoons cumin powder
        3 Tablespoons chili powder
        1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
        2 teaspoons salt
        2 cups water

Directions:

1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.

2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.

3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer over low heat.

4. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours.

5. For spicier chili, add ½ teaspoon more black pepper. For much spicier chili, add 1 teaspoon black pepper and a tablespoon cayenne pepper. For super hot spicy, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeño peppers to the pot.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

This is our favorite, from one of the annual Southern Living Cookbooks.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-chili-10000000259015/

• 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
          • 2 onions, chopped
          • 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
          • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
          • 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
          • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
          • 3 tablespoons olive oil
          • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
          • 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
          • 2 tablespoons chili powder
          • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
          • 1 teaspoon sugar
          • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
          • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
          • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
          • 2 cups beef broth
          • 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
          • Garnish: shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation

Cook first 5 ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon salt in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until beef browns and vegetables are tender.

Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup beer, and next 6 ingredients, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup beer, broth, and beans, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.

Mariposai

Thanks guys! I knew you will come to my rescue!!!

ohh btw, keep the recipes coming!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

I like all of those. I guess it's chilli for tonight.

One thing I do with my recipe is (if you want some extra kick in spicy) is to take the liquid from the jalopeno jar and add a good measure of that to the broth. Much more effective thank just the peppers. Also, I refrain from beans for chilli cookoffs. A friend of mine from Texas who taught me Texas chilli mentioned he usually always won when he left out beans and added extra sirloin (no ground meat all cubed).

Good luck Nancy

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R - the thing is, I don't like chili with cubed sirloin.  To me, it isn't chili if it doesn't have beans and ground beef.  But then, I only cook for my family, not for a cook-off award, so what do I know....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."