Masters Running

40's on the Move ....w/e - 9/28 (Read 499 times)

jfa

Ladies Race week here Nice Going Carol !!!! Sounds like you did very well, and had fun doing it !!That's what's most important !! Looks to me from that link thet Kelly may have nailed 3rd overall and first for the women !?!

flatland mountaineer

Yay racers!! Congrats Carol on beating last years time and had fun too. Will wait until we hear from Kelly but all indications are she did great!! Arla condolences about losing your mentor and thanks for putting things in perspective. I get frustrated with my little injuries and owies and slow improvement but hey I got to rock climb in Eldo, backcountry ski Rocky Mtn Nat Park, run Bolder Boulder. We are all active and mobile and healthy!! My house won't be foreclosed on and it wasn't blown away in the hurricane. We will harvest good crops this year. Jewels good job on the 5 miler!! Salty yay back on the road again woohoo! Cindy 21 miles at any pace is a huge accomplishment!! Leslie that banned foods store is kinda like when they break into the newlyweds house and delabel the cans!! Sounds like you had a pretty awesome run on the trails at Fern canyon even with a bit of dead legs. Joe thanks for starting us off, are you doing better today? I have one pt that I trust and when she measured me she had one leg longer that she attributed to a pelvic tilt issue and gave me exercises to straighten me back up. I still think that problem was what brought on my hip bursitis of last winter. My back, SI, hips all feel better when I do my pt stuff. She is the only medical professional in this area that "gets it" as she was a collegiate volleyball player and has the athlete mindset. Where your problems always occur on one side, makes ya wonder. Lynda did a 7.9 mile long run yesterday!!! Woohoo. She ran to Dads house in town, now if she had gone on by the methodist church she would have got 8. Wink I ran all the way to main street for 8.2 this morning. Seemed to get along ok with the achilles. I kept wanting to run faster but I must kinda push off when I speed up cause that seemed to be painful so just kept it slow and steady and it didn't bother. I could feel it a touch on the hills but tryed to really run them upright with shorter stride and good cadence and that seemed to help. Other than the achilles it was a really easy run and all but that part of my body was saying more, more, more. To which I asked myself are you stooopid!! Wink Don't answer that anyone Big grin. I emailed Jonathan about the achilles thing and he suggested heel lifts so will give it a try. Jonathan and RTimes are sponsoring a 10 miler trail race in the country in mid October on a saturday and I so much want to do it even if its smack dab in the middle of corn harvest!!! My dad has been a little down so we took him out to eat today and took care of a few of his little problems at his house. He does darn good for 88 but thinks he should be able to work like a field hand. We took the whole day off after about 21 straight, things have been progressing nicely. Its a good feeling to be able to look over your shoulder at the end of the day and see what you have got done. 3 wheat seeding videos, running the tractor and drill, filling with fertilizer and filling with seed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSp1aIK_Wc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlEQpop_OcQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kuabeibyLk

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Congratulations, Carol! 19 seconds faster. Yee haw! Yep - it looks like our Kelly finished 3rd overall. She is such a strong runner. Way to go, Kelly! Been working on canning tomatoes since about 10:00 a.m. It's now 3:30. The cooking part of this takes so much longer than what we did two weeks ago. Last time, 10 min once the water started boiling. Tomatoes - 40 min once the water starts boiling. And because I'm not starting with warm jars, it's taking FOREVER for the water to boil. 21 jars down, 9 to go, and so far I think 3 jars have failed. Rat &astards! Evil grin Big grin You guys ever watch FoodTV? You know Guy Fieri on there? His shows are "Guy's Bit Bites" and "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" (or something like that). He grew up here in Humboldt County in Ferndale, just down the road from Eureka. He has two restaurants in Santa Rosa, one I really want to go to - Johnny Garlics. It's suppose to be really good. And why did I suddenly think of this? I'm watching his DDD show while waiting for the next pot of water to boil . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Farmer Jim - We musta been posting at the same time. Hey - thanks for sharing the videos. I really enjoy watching them. Congrats to Lynda on her 7.9 miles! She's becoming quite the runner. Your dad, at 88, sounds like he still has a lot of git up and go, but I can fully understand him feeling like he should still be able to do the same things he did when he was younger. My dad's only 67, but he does the same things now and then. He has some significant physical problems due to past injuries, but still thinks he should be able to climb ladders, prune trees, lift, like he could 20 years ago. It is now 6:50, and I have my last batch of jars in the water bath. 28 more minutes and I'm done! And no more canning for the rest of the year!!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I did nail 3rd overall and first woman! My final time was 24:38. I was hoping to be under 24 but my IT band had a slower time in mind. I'm happy with it and wasn't planning on placing so well for my first 100. I'll be honest in that I'm very stiff and sore- I dread getting out of the chair so that I can go to bed. I shuffle around now and can tip over at any moment. Big grin And yes, I'll probably do another one. I'll tell you more later-need to go to bed..... Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Ultrachick!!! I hope you don't mind if I drop in here to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You are just awesome! I have been wondering how it went ever since I saw your note on the 40/40 thread. You ran enough for a few weeks on that thread. You are one tough and talented runner! Way to do it up right for your first 100 miler! Karin/CNYrunner

flatland mountaineer

I'll tell you more later-need to go to bed..... Kelly
                Congrats and sleep well!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Congratulations, Kelly!! You da Wo-man!! CNYRunner - Feel free to drop in any time. Couldn't drag myself out of bed this a.m., although I was awake. Will have to do my mileage when I get home tonight. Dead 6 jars failed. Evil grin Hope this stuff "freezes beautifully." (Anybody remember that line from "Steel Magnolias" with regard to the beans?)

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

CONGRATULATIONS KELLY & CAROL!!! WOO-HOO!!! Well, I made it through the weekend....slept at least 10 hrs from last night till 8am this am....no running today...got the grandbabies here in just a little bit....Rockies won their game...wedding was a big success...Oh Yeah! & Doug had an awesome race @ the Boulder Backroads HM! Wink ..... It was a challenge getting there...I did all the driving in order for Doug to sleep as much as possible in the car (amazingly, he can do that pretty well!) We left the wedding reception/dance by 8:30pm (Sidney, NE) drove home home 3 1/2 hrs...slept fast..back up @ 4:15am enrt Boulder Reservior...I had to check in by 6am for Volunteer duties...52* F/38% H @ 6am (according to weatherbug.com) mostly overcast w/scattered thunderstorms predicted for later in the day - & it stayed overcast for most of the event, making for very nice racing conditions! ...I left Doug to nap some more as I headed into the big tent to commence my "duties" of getting late arrivals through the line w/their tech packets (mostly I was handing out socks until almost 8am!) & then helping set up food tables, moving tfc cones, setting up jacket & shirts sales, & such....I would not see Doug again until almost 10:30am...The marathoners & marathon relay started @ 7am, the HM'ers started @ 8am - approximately 2000 registered for the HM - 1647 finishers (we had a LOT of unclaimed pkgs!!) Now, I can't do a real thorough RR, as I didn't personally run it...however, I do know that it was an out and back course, w/a "big hill" http://www.boulderbackroads.com/maps.html even so, Doug's Garmin said that he had real even splits. He described the course as "open, but scenic" & the hill was no worse than our own back yard (perception!) He described one entertaining moment @ about mile 12.... had been running mostly w/the same pack for some time...they were passed by a sweet young thing going quite a bit faster than they were....one of the older men pulled out behind her & tried real hard to keep up w/her!! Big grin just couldn't do it! & was soon back in the pack till the finish..I'm willing to bet it was the CSU student who finished 2nd women's in the full! NO FN LN OVERALL DIVPL SEXPL GUNTIME 6.2MILE TIME PACE 1705 Douglas Honebein 768 82/119 437/649 2:05:41.4 1:02:54.4 2:04:43.7 9:36 They'd apparently nixed the beer tent at the last minute, but there was a good sized expo & LOTS of food & drinks - the whole thing maybe 100 yds from water's edge @ the Reservoir..Doug had to hang around for about 4 more hours for me to be finished w/volunteer duties - which by then I was 'womanning" the shirts & jackets sales tables... Swag: tech shirt, tech socks, power socks, tech hat, finisher's medal (very nice heavy thing!!) Volunteers also got a jacket (no medal, obviously) extra socks, shirts, food.....& then because Doug stuck around to help w/the sales table (& just because he patiently waited around) they gave him a jacket & some more socks too! Smile Off to take care of babies....
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    saltyd

Congratulations Carol and Kelly! What a nice weekend. I went out both Saturday and Sunday morning. I went out a little later than I probably should have to beat the heat, but it was still below 100F. I took it nice and easy. So far the surgery is doing it's job, adn no leakeage. YEAH!!!! Now i"m looking forward to slowly building my stamina back up for a 5K and then a 5 mile both in November. Then I'll have the 10K up in Napa. The 5 mile in November is a mud run they're having out here in Scottsdale. It looks really fun. I've done the Camp Pendleton mud run about 6 or 7 times, and just have a blast every time. Happy first day of Fall. Salty
                      Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
                        Today's the first day of fall?? Sad (((sigh)))

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Congratulations Kelly !! We expect full race reports from you and Carol !! Sounds good Leslie with your tomatoes. FIL figured out a way to put an electric motor on his tomatoe masher thing and jars a bunch too. Nothing like a good sauce. And yes 11:44am (et) today was the last minute of this summer Cry Jim - good farming vids and real nice run for Lynda !!Glad to hear that you awarded yourselves a day off. Seems like spouses are rawking this week and a Big Congrats to Doug too! Peeked at the elevation changes for both race courses Cry (sea level sissie here) Oh my. How about the little hill at about mile 20 on the full course?! Jeez... WTG Salty ! Baby steps for you,especially in those temps. A step at a time and you'll get where you're going. BTW,I would absolutely heart your bug. I had a 1969 Karmann Ghia for 5 years back in the eighties. Hardtop (forrest green) though which was ok with me. I wish I still had it! Back at it pretty good with 14.5m in the trails yesterday and another 7m around the hood tonight. Four days off did me a lot of good. I think the hip thing will be managable with more stretching and more walking following the runs. See ya's Cool

A big shoutout to Kelly for being an incredible distance runner, to Carol for an awesome pace on her 10K and to Doug who had a fabulous HM. What great accomplishments on your individual races! Glad to hear things are going well Salty! Lynda way to go on your 8 miler (7.9) Wink Joe, glad to hear your 4 days off helped out with the hip issue. Leslie, I LOVE the Food network channel. Don't know if that's the same as Food TV or not but...... Gotta make it short........Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                              Leslie, I LOVE the Food network channel. Don't know if that's the same as Food TV or not but...... Jewels
                              Yep, it is. Big Bobby Flay fans - love his "Boy Meets Grill" and "Throwdown" - and HUGE Alton Brown fans. Cindy - Congrats to Doug! He's becoming quite the runner, isn't he? Joe - Glad to hear the hip is doing better. For what it's worth, I always do a 5-minute walking warm up and cool down. My legs don't seem to bother me as bad, especially afterward. Salty - Nice! Things are working the way they're suppose to now. Take it slow and easy, and soon you'll be right back to your old running self - or actually better! Arla - Shout out to Arla Got my 5 miles in last night. Listened to NPR's "Wait, Wait . . ." and was laughing so much, I bet people driving by me thought I was nuts. The legs felt fairly heavy the whole time (which I attribute to wearing heels during the day), and had a hard time keeping the HR down. Must be all the exhaust I was inhaling. Wink The Hub had a major sneezing allergy attack around 2:00 a.m. Ugh! When he starts sneezing, it goes on forever. Consequently, I was awake from about 2:00 to 3:30. Couldn't bring myself to get up when the alarm went off at 4:30, even though sleep was still fitful. Will have to get a workout in after work again. . . . . I hate working out in the evenings . . . I know - boo hoo. Cry me a river! Big grin And, The Hub leaves tomorrow with a buddy to go back to Chicago for a couple of days and then off to South Bend to see Notre Dame at home. He'll be gone for a week. Big grin Big grin Oh wait, do I seem too happy about it?? Big grin Sorry! (NOT!) (((sigh))) Some much cherished (and needed) alone time . . .

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie, I love the "throwdowns". My husband loves watching the food channel as well. (At least we have something in common)! Smile MTA: Got up early and got in 4 spiffy miles! Gawd...... I suck at running! Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee