Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 2.6.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I don't have much time this morning, but I want to thank Leslie for yesterday's video link. Except for the trail-specific aspects, i imaging the sentiments expressed are shared by most of us. I know I was nodding my head a lot.

I spent about 2.5 hours clearing snow late yesterday afternoon, and was exhausted by the time I was done. It was still dribbling down, so there is a little more to do this morning. But first, I got out for 3.5 sloppy miles on my YakTraks on the snow-covered roads. I met Steve near the end of mile 1, and we walked together for about 3/4 of a mile, discussing the pros and cons of trying to legislate (vs. providing incentives for) urban redevelopment. Then I turned off, picked up the pace again, and headed for home. Shoveling, dentist appointment, meetings, and a conference call - I've got it all to look forward to today.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Nice cross training Jay. I think we might get some real lats from all of this shoveling.

Nothing big yet. Quick 10k on the TM in the hotel gym. Not a good place to run outside. Wrong side of the track. Literally. Other side has a wonderful path. Ugh.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Just posted on FB that I had a Gladys Knight and the Pips run this morning with my partner.  That's when it's 18 degrees, snowing and the wind is stinging your face and neither one of us wants to be the first to say this sucks.  We did 1.1 miles and said "Next time!"

I was in a hurry actually as I have a dr. appointment in Arlington, quite a ways away from me and it's snowing like crazy.  Today I see a radiation oncologist, who will explain the procedure for implanting radioactive "seeds" at the points in the prostate that are cancerous. You have no doubt heard of this procedure. It has existed for quite some time but only recently improved with simultaneous imaging, so that the dr. can "see" the cancerous spots and know precisely where to do the implants.  Radiation has its own set of negatives of course, as does surgery, so I am still in the exploration stage.  This is tiresome and confusing, but I'm probably the best person to go through it as I don't let it bother me.  Spareribs

Tramps

Hope your consult goes well, Ribs.

Best to all of you dealing with weather challenges.

Out of touch here.  Just got back from a few days in New Orleans for a work conference.  Sadly NOLA was gray, chilly, and rainy.  Still managed some early morning runs in the dark and drizzle, though.

Back home for a sunny 7 miler this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Keeping you in my prayers, Ribs, as you dig your way through all the information and decide which avenue is best for you.

Glad you all liked the video. 

Ribs - Saw on the news this morning about the Ft. Worth teen who has been diagnosed with "affluenza" after killing 4 people in a drunk driving accident.  I was stunned to find out he didn't get any jail time, but 10 years' probation and rehab.  I can only pray that the rehab actually does some good.

I was awakened this morning around 3:50 by a VERY LOUD meow in my ear.  The Chicinator expressing his desire for breakfast.  I couldn't get too upset since my alarm was set to go off at 4:00 anyway.  Took me a good 45 minutes to get myself together and out the door, but I got in my 8 miles and was surprised at how sproinky my legs felt considering the hefty 45 min strength/core training I did last night after work.

The rain as has arrive . . . YEA!!  One of the communities about 2 hrs south of us - Willits - made the national news because they only have about 100 days left in their reservoir.  And any of you folks who are horse racing history buffs or saw the movie "Seabiscuit" or read the book, Willits is where Charles Howard had his ranch, Ridgewood, and it's where Seabiscuit is buried.  The hospital in Willits is named after Howard's son, Frank.  A long time ago, Howard brought in a small herd of white deer.  The herd still exists, and if you're lucky when driving through the area, you can catch a glimpse of them every now and then.  In the 27 years we've lived here, I've only seen them a couple of times.

Okay - Enough chatting.  Later ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

[[[[[ RIBBS ]]]]..................Manly Hug.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

[[[[[[RIBS]]]]]]] non-manly hug.

Tammy

Mariposai

[[[[[[RIBS]]]]]]] butterfly hug. 

Tramps, sunny, but what was your temps? Here is sunny too, but it finally got to 2F at noon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

[[[[[ RIBBS ]]]]..................Side Hug.................(from a non-hugger)

I went the gym early today, but I didn't really want to go, so when I got there and saw I forgot my running shoes I went back home.  I wear old sneakers to the gym and then change shoes there so I don't track snow all over the place.  I could have wiped my shoes off and done some type of workout, but like I said I didn't feel like going in the first place.

A few hours later I did a little bit of core work and 3 miles on the basement treadmill.

mrrun

Adding to the group (((RIBS))))

Ran in sunny 30's today after a glorious Chinese lunch with my fellow ex-workers.  It was great to see them and great to go home while they went back to work.  Retirement is NOT a four letter word!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Retirement is NOT a four letter word!

Probably is to them.  I'm sure you didn't rub it in.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

NHLA

6.26 miles 65 min. champion hills  three miles up and three miles down .26 flat.

ribs  best choice, good luck.

SteveP

(((((Ribs))))) manly hug while trying to lift your wallet

SteveP

I ran 10.1 miles at about 9:00 am in Yak Trax most of the way---today's bright sun made the 13 inches of snow we received yesterday sparkle and shine. It looked gorgeous and I found some back roads that were less trafficked (meaning I ran right down the middle!). Looks pretty, but my hip flexors are screaming from all the gripping action. No complaints though....nothing I can do. Chose a route that also had a monster hill and I am feeling like my climbing strength is back.

Good Luck with the decision Ribs. I know there are many options and while not all the same by any stretch, the advances are encouraging.

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, people down here are furious over that Ft. Worth kid and the decision. It often seems there is no accountability for anything or anyone any more.

Thank you all. And please, please, skip the prayers and hugs. I didn't post for that reason, although I deeply appreciate your care.  This is a masters forum, which means that for half of you (men), prostate cancer may be something you have, will have, or need to learn about. And for you women, your mate is likely to face it also. I'm just learning, and happy to share how things are going.

This Maslow guy was the one who said, "if the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." This is true with doctors.  Surgeons surge. Radiologists radiate. You get the idea.  So the patient has to be patient, ask the right questions.

I have the perfect question! After the lecture about what is best to do, I ask these guys, late 40's, early 50's, "I'm about old enough to be your dad.  If I were fortunate enough to have a son as competent as you, and I asked you what to do, what would you advise? What would you tell your dad to do?"  That helps to get straight answers. Remember that one, all of you who get doctor opinions.  Spareribs