Masters Running

Thursday, 21 January, 2016 (Read 36 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

January 21

30F

7.17 miles

Some icy patches as Sonya, Carol, Bill, Bob, Ralph and I started out. We ran a campus loop, Ludwell circle, law school, then Duck Pond to Visitors Center and finished up by the Governor's Palace then patted Mattie's head for good luck and back to P3.

There is a mighty storm a brewin'!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

National Hugging Day - I like that!! Wish my men were  more huggers tho!!

6:00 Thursday morning run club - 7.5 chilly hilly miles - remembered my extra thick running gloves this morning and my hands were happy!!

Worked 12 hours Tuesday and foolishly agreed to go in early at 3 am yesterday for a 16 hour shift - not enough turn around time between shifts for me -- won't be doing that again!!

Happy Hugging!!

denise

coastwalker

Mornin' RCG and Deeze, and everyone else!

Nice early run, RCG. I don't know that I can really get behind Squirrel Appreciation Day.

Two 12s, and then a 16-hr shift, Deeze? You are nuts! Nice run with the club for you this morning - it's a good day for heavy gloves that keep the hands happy. Happy hugs to you too!

It must be nice to get a pace bunny on a training workout like Stumpy did yesterday. I don't get much of that at 4am.

Congrats on bringing Lucy home, Ribs. I hope her recovery is quick and painless. Bummer about your new statin - any chance of switching it out?

I love Marj's new acronym: MMTCS. I know I've been there...  Good 13er yesterday, Marj.

Happy belated birthday to Shorty. I'll bet he can't wait to play with all the gifts you gave him, Leslie. Congrats on getting more transcription work.

Sorry about the snow and slow commute, Holly. Good job on the TMI (treadmill intervals).

Nice 6 in the outdoors, TSelbes.

Aamos, you made me think of the old Beatles song, Dear Prudence (Prudent). How's the calf?

I'm glad you liked the snow shoeing, Moebo - it's a great workout. Nice 5.1 too.

"Frozen Dead Guy" just doesn't appeal to me, WC, although it would accurately describe me if I attempted a winter 50K.

"this is delicious but it doesn't have any taste." Best line of the day, Tet. I believe I've had that dish before.

Congrats on sticking with the Healthy Heart Challenge, Starr.

Nice 6er at the end of a hard day, Mariposai.

I'm glad Abby is coming along, Evanflein. I'm sure she is thrilled with the ear drops. Good 5.5 at -2. Ive never tried waterproof mascara.

6.9 racewalking miles for me this morning. It was 19F, like yesterday, but the winds had calmed down a bit so the WC was all the way up to 8. I kept the pedal to the blacktop for a good tempo workout. My legs are a little fatigued, and being at the stand-up desk this morning is a little uncomfortable for now. But that's just the 'glow' from a good workout, so it's all good.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Gotta ask E.-why are the drops cold?  Do you have to keep them refrigerated?

Mari, keep on keeping on with the good work-appreciating your dedication and care.  Hope your tenants do too!

Finally!        (although the squirrels in FLORIDA are Crazy Crazy.    I just can't....really.)

I just did a 5K this am, hope to get out with Speedsters as all this prudence is making me crack up.  I may start running with the squirrels soon.  Calf is just only just barely talking to me.  In another year, I prolly would be ignoring it.

Jay, if you wear it, then it's GUYliner.  Betcha you'd be a cutie in it.

Best wishes to Lucy and hope the storms don't hit anyone too unbearably hard.  Be sure you stock up on milk, bread, eggs and granola.  Bars.

HUGS,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Just 3 miles today and it was a struggle. It's definitely the meds. I have to make a decision on quality of life or lowering cholesterol.  Felt like a dead man running after 2 miles.

Lucy enjoyed a quiet first day at home, although we have to keep her in that horrid collar if we're not right there to supervise her, in order to ensure she doesn't attack the wound and pull her stitches out.  But the Dr. doesn't know Lucy and once told "No" on messing with the stitches she probably wouldn't fuss with them.  But we watch her constantly.

Story for Blurry on bridge.  I signed up for my club's mentorship program in which an experienced player volunteers to play with a newbie and help them feel more comfortable and grow in the game. Duplicate bridge can be quite intimidating to a newcomer, or one who plays living room bridge.

So the lady in charge of the program calls me to ask me about my background in the game. I decide to brag a bit and mention that when I was in college my partner was Marty Bergen, who is a renowned professional, now about my age and makes his living writing books and teaching.

She said, "Oh, how wonderful. Well, I've played a great deal of bridge with Chris Compton myself."  (He is currently ranked number one in the world and has twice won the contest for the most masterpoints won in a year.)  "He's my son."

I guess I got one-upped!  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, I think I  mentioned before that my DH also had issues with statins - muscle wasting and other side effects.  He stopped taking them,  and has recovered.  But apparently in some patients, the damage is permanent. His doctor also tried to switch him to a different statin, but he's done quite a bit of research, and all statins are damaging.

The Frozen Dead Guy 50k this weekend is actually named after a festival in Nederland, CO, where the race starts.  The festival got it's name from a family that kept their grandpa on dry ice in their shed after he died, presumably so he could be brought back to  life when technology advances to that point.  When word about grandpa got out, the town tried to prohibit the family from keeping grandpa in the shed, but it wasn't against any of the town ordinances.  Anyway, the festival is a hoot - Nederland uses it as a way to bring tourists to their town at a slow time of year - it's in March.  They have a parade, coffin races, a polar plunge in the lake, and other craziness.  Here's a link to the website:

http://frozendeadguydays.org/

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Just 3 miles today and it was a struggle. It's definitely the meds. I have to make a decision on quality of life or lowering cholesterol.  Felt like a dead man running after 2 miles.

Story for Blurry on bridge.  I signed up for my club's mentorship program in which an experienced player volunteers to play with a newbie and help them feel more comfortable and grow in the game. Duplicate bridge can be quite intimidating to a newcomer, or one who plays living room bridge.

So the lady in charge of the program calls me to ask me about my background in the game. I decide to brag a bit and mention that when I was in college my partner was Marty Bergen, who is a renowned professional, now about my age and makes his living writing books and teaching.

She said, "Oh, how wonderful. Well, I've played a great deal of bridge with Chris Compton myself."  (He is currently ranked number one in the world and has twice won the contest for the most masterpoints won in a year.)  "He's my son."

1. We're cheering for Lucy von Sheltie as she recovers from surgery. Good doggie.

2. A few years ago my PCP put me on Crestor for high LDL (my HDL was 85). I told the PCP that I felt like crap and wasn't going to take it any more. (But I have not had by-pass surgery and have no family history of heart disease).... I am an advocate for quality of life over quantity.  Well, I vote for both but, if I had to choose, I would choose the former. This PCP also had tried me on a million different anti-hypertensives because my diastolic was in the 90's and systolic in the 130's. Each drug had its own side effect that was incompatible with my quality of life.  So now, I walk around with slightly high cholesterol and slightly high blood pressure. (And if you were reading this last week, I also have an inverted T-wave and absent some other blip on my EKG).   Am I a time bomb?  I don't know. Further tests showed a healthy heart and carotids.  For me?  It's a crap shoot. I don't want to lose my life to save it.

3. Finally. The bridge story. Oh did I chuckle at this one!  Inevitably, pride comes before the fall...

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Gotta ask E.-why are the drops cold?  Do you have to keep them refrigerated?

No, she has to keep them in Alaska.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Finally!        

Love this guy!  A squirrel asking for a hug!

Ribs - 

Rose - I envy you having a group of friends to run with each day - very cool.

Carolyn - the Frozen Dead Guy Days Festival sounds hilarious - Colorado’s “most frigidly fun festival” features outrageous events like the Blue Ball, coffin races, costumed polar plunge, ice turkey bowling, frozen T-shirt and brain freeze contests, Snowy Human Foosball, a parade of hearses and a frozen salmon toss.

I dallied this morning, and so only had time for 3 easy-paced miles on the TM.

DD has another basketball game tonight.  I am not looking forward to it - this is the team that crushes all opponents, and our team is not so great this season.  It will be a bloodbath.  And the away-game on Tuesday that I didn't go to?  DD got four 3-pointers - best game of her life and I missed it.  Ah well.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

TammyinGP

Let's see, I've eaten granola today, so have that one covered. I'm sure at some point today, I'll hug my husband and son and all my dogs. Squirrels don't really come around too close to our place because they've met the dogs and probably spread the word to their squirrel friends about the stranger danger they might encounter.

this morning I had blood work to check chol, glucose, thyroid. I finally decided after 5 yrs of not going to a doctor to do what I'm supposed to do, so am having the full tune-up.  I'll be curious about my chol because I have had higher numbers in the past than it should be but was able to lower it to normal ranges with red yeast rice supplements.

heading off to some PT/deep tissue work in a few hrs. then my legs will probably feel like jello.

Tammy

This morning, it was in the mid teens and almost calm.  We'd had a little snow on the roads that got packed down so I wore my Ice Trekkers.  I did 5 miles at an 11:03 pace.

I've had glaucoma for years and have been taking eyedrops for it, currently up to 3 different drops each day  .It has gotten a little worse in the last year.  Recently, I went to my optometrist for new glasses and she wouldn't prescribe them because I have cataracts bad enough that she thinks should be dealt with before getting new glasses.  I saw an opthamalogist today and am scheduled to have surgery on my right eye to replace the lens for the cataract and make an opening to drain fluid to help the glaucoma.  It looks like I will be off running for several weeks.  When that eye has healed, it looks like the same will be done with the left eye.  Therefore, as of Feb 2, I may not be able to run for a couple months.  I'm not happy about the no running but am also concerned about my vision.  It's more important than the running.  It should be an interesting experience.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - vision is absolutely more important!  Besides, running in February and March in Michigan is, well, let's just say it is a good time to take off.  Are you allowed to ride a bike trainer in the garage?

evanflein

Hahahaha, so funny. Actually the drops do need to be kept in the fridge. And since they cost $45 we're going to follow directions, take care of them and use them! Abby would rather I misplace them....

My BP is always a little high it seems. My doc isn't concerned about it though. When I have it checked there, it's almost always lower and pretty much in range. It's when I go to these screening events or use the gizmo at the gym where you sit and put your arm in the cuff, I get higher readings. My total cholesterol is over 200 but my HDL is over 100 and my "ratio" is, in the terms of my doc, "incredible." I always get the note on my results that they ran the numbers twice.

I agree quality of life is important. There are new cholesterol lowering drugs coming on the market that are supposed to help those that can't or shouldn't take statins, but good grief they are expensive.

Squirrels? I agree they're cute, but they can be so destructive. DH calls them tree rats.

Cold today and colder tomorrow. I see some TM runs in my future. I think tonight will be intervals.

DH's birthday is tomorrow and we're going out to a fundraiser for the local soup kitchen (local restaurants offering soup--most pretty fancy high end stuff--and a wine tasting), then going to a production of Capitol Steps for some political satire. They're apparently pretty hilarious and this year they sure have a lot of material to work with!

mrrun

Tom - vision is far more important, so not running in winter is a small sacrifice for being able to see and preventing glaucoma.  After I broke my rib, I wasn't allowed to run for 3 weeks but could walk and I did - close to 5 miles a day - not race walk like Jay, but enough to keep my head on straight,  Will you be able to walk?

Good luck to those in the VA/MD/DC area - hope you don't lose electricity!  Anyone heard from Tramps?

marj