Masters Running

Back to Work Monday 7/6/15 (Read 31 times)

Rise and shine people! Back to work after your holiday weekend. I hope the weather was as great for all of you as it was here. Up for a hot and steamy 6 miles this morning. It was already 70° and humid when I left the house at 5:15. Lots of walk breaks today! I always think about how cool these temps would feel to Ribs and Aamos.

DH and I played golf with some good friends yesterday, Sue and Mike. Mike got a hole in one! I've never seen anyone do that before, and it was pretty awesome. He ended up shooting a 39 on the back nine, and I don't know what the bar tab cost him. But it sure was fun!

Have a great day everyone!

Slo

Hole in ones are costly. I've been on the receiveing side twice. The chances of me ever being on the treating end range from unlikely to improbable.

BTW...Hello all you fellow Masters.

Like Jlynne, my run was 5 in opressive humidity. No breeze, you could seet it in the air.

My weekend was very enjoyable. I had two back to back short work weeks...now I'm in for back to back long ones. Karma?

Later all !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You'd think everyone would buy HIM drinks.

Happy Monday all.  Preparing for a long week of trying to get ahead of things at work so I can take a whole week off next week.  Or at least minimize the calls.   Though somehow doing some work sitting 10' from the lake is not that unpleasant.

good runs to all.

Glad you're not hurt, TC--just lost track of what means what.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Yeah, Jlynne, what Kevin said about the bar tab.

Hey Kevin, but it was a superb weekend ; bring on the week ahead!

SO funny; I had temps in the 70s too, but they stayed below 75 for the entire run this am, so I was most happy.  (our humidity: 88%)

8+ miles for me, just crusin' along with a song....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

What most call hot and humid I call running weather!!!  Yeah!  No freezing cold!  No putting on piles of layers.  No freezing for 2 miles until I warm up.  No frozen fingers so stiff I cannot get the key into the front door.  No ice on the roads!  Instead I can just on my shorts, t-shirt, socks and sneakers then go out nice and comfortable from the first step out the door.

As to today, 14 miles as I start training for what I hope will be a mid-October marathon.  As I have done the last few times I am not booking or registering for anything until I get closer to race date.  But Plan A is City of Trees Marathon on Boise Idaho.  The reviews on Marathon Guide are pretty good.  If anyone here knows anything about it chime up!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

And if that guy is paying for extra shirts I take it back, but if he just gets the race shirt in a kid's size for his grandkids, then he's cheap.

Cheap? Cheap ain't in it for Dr. Mike, Ribs! He squeezes a nickel so tight...

Our neighborhood seemed suspiciously quiet all day Saturday, and then about 10PM it turned into a war zone with fireworks going off in every direction. Trouble is, that's about my bedtime these days! But it was a good weekend overall and we had a great time with my DS at home for a couple days.

Jlynne, I forgot to tell you that we missed you at Charlevoix, as I know you originally thought you might make it except that "life intervened." Maybe next time.

Ran 4.5 EZ this morning at a 10:45 pace. It wasn't quite 70F, but more humid than I realized and my hydration bottle barely went the distance. I was planning on a run-walk, but since I took the alternate path down though the woods along the old canal, I quickly realized that I was in danger of serious blood loss if I stopped long enough for the skeeters to catch up!

Have a good start to your week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

What most call hot and humid I call running weather!!!  Yeah!  No freezing cold!  No putting on piles of layers.  No freezing for 2 miles until I warm up.  No frozen fingers so stiff I cannot get the key into the front door.  No ice on the roads!  Instead I can just on my shorts, t-shirt, socks and sneakers then go out nice and comfortable from the first step out the door.

I have decided to renew my efforts at more serious weight training.  While my weight is roughly the same as it has been for years, I could definitely see in the Charlevoix photos that I have grown, well, PLUMP, dad-gummit.  There, I said it.  Obviously most of my muscle has turned to flab and I have been letting the scale tell me I am fine when in fact I am expanding like Violet Beauregard.  Blech.

No run for me today, but 45 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne – I’m awake! I’m awake” Said as she rolls over and wonders about the sanity of an early morning yoga class

Okay – yoga won!

Kevin – I have some days off coming up – kind of makes me feel lacksidaisical about those things that NEED to get done. The definition changes ever so slightly the closer I get to our vacation.

OKAY – this is the week. I am heading over to my running club weekly Monday run. If anyone in the Boston area is ever interested in meeting up there on a Monday, Please let me know. I seem to feel the presence of OrangeMat around here Wink Kevin and Jay are up for a trek into Boston – you never know when they will show up. Denise can join in between birthin’ babies. Marj and Henry – I sent you an email. Amy – you are so honorary Boston that they are about to name a permanent seat at Fenway for you. Anyone I missed – my humble apologies. Anyways – the run post is below.

http://www.srr.org/events/bur_run/

Oh yeah Holly – be nice to yourself, you are a strong runner and so darn pretty that it hurts to look at you.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

King of PhotoShop

Well Dave, I do agree that asking for the shirts in kid's sizes is a good idea, especially for veteran runners who have plenty of shirts, but he ain't no John Beresford Tipton either.

When I played golf you could buy hole in one insurance at the Club every year at the beginning of the season.  I've come close but never had one. I did once eagle a par five hole hitting a four wood to the green and it rolled into the cup.

Steve P, sounds like the perfect weekend.

Good to hear from Rob E. on the other thread.  Like some others here I see him on FB.

Not taking any chances with forcing a recovery run this morning, so I took Lucy von Sheltie to the park for 1.1 miles while the Saint ran 2.5.

Nice racing by Sub Dood.  Thanks for that post Mike E.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly, first of all, DISAGREE.  What Kirsten said!!  Second, consider the observation of one of our Speedster family from the weekend.  Lou is in the 65-69 age group and usually fairly fast.  He decided to run a slower 5K on Saturday (24:50) and came back grinning like a teenager.  His take on the race was that the women around him had shapes.....and were fun to run with (and observe), while we who placed were "mean, skinny women."

Now Lou and Ribs would probably enjoy each other's company, so we never take too much of what he says too seriously (and he's a lawyer), but consider this before you do anything rash.

........and he'd had a beer altho it was only about 8 am.

ps: Hi Kirsten, and thank you so so so much.  You're SO GOOD!    [they don't make smiley faces with red Bs on them.]  And get Stumpy to run with you.  We're having a throw down next year in Somerville, you know.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

It is a gym day on the schedule, but it turned into a rest day.  I just couldn't get any motivation going this morning.  My back was more sore than normal which didn't help the motivation level.  I am going to try to get consistent at the exercises and stretching I am supposed to be doing for my back and if that doesn't work, maybe I'll check back in with the doctor.  No sense bothering a professional when I haven't been following their previous advice. 

Plumber came by today and fix a couple things that were found during the inspection.  Fortunately he found the problems without having to cut into any walls or ceilings.  Its a lot cheaper that way.

SubDood

Nice racing by Sub Dood.  Thanks for that post Mike E.  Spareribs

I must be the luckiest guy around. Thanks for the shout out, Spareribs. I'm also lucky to have local running legends like MikeE and HermosaBoy to try to keep up with (and run with on occasion).  They set impossibly high standards for racing speed, but more importantly, they are two of the nicest people I've ever met! And Minnesotans are known for that kind of thing. I'd like to be like them when I grow up.

My trail race this past weekend was preceded by a full day of moving into a new house. It's beautiful, and again, we are very fortunate. But I thought moving would kill any chance of me doing well in the race. Anyhow, the top 3 USATF Male Masters (over 40) all finished within 3 seconds of each other in a very hilly, humid, 25K trail race. I exchanged leads with the second place guy twice in the last quarter mile, holding him off by one second at the finish line. The third place guy was 2 seconds further back. About as exciting as anything I've ever done running-related!

I hope everyone here had a great 4th of July weekend!

HermosaBoy

a very hilly, humid, 25K trail race. I exchanged leads with the second place guy twice in the last quarter mile, holding him off by one second at the finish line. The third place guy was 2 seconds further back. About as exciting as anything I've ever done running-related!

I hope everyone here had a great 4th of July weekend!

Agree with the VERY hilly!

You killed that race on a day that I was fighting just to run easy to cheer for others in the heat and humidity (on a flat course).

Well done!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

And those two guys you beat are my teammates who beat me in races on a regular basis.  Very nice race!

Marathon Maniac #957

the top 3 USATF Male Masters (over 40) all finished within 3 seconds of each other in a very hilly, humid, 25K trail race. I exchanged leads with the second place guy twice in the last quarter mile, holding him off by one second at the finish line. The third place guy was 2 seconds further back. About as exciting as anything I've ever done running-related!

Awesome - well done!

LaT and Aamos -   You are too kind, but thank you.  Truthfully, though, I am definitely feeling, as Erika would say, "fluffy."  Here's something I just read:

Loss of Muscle Strength Can Happen Quickly
                                Even when you're young and healthy, not using your legs for as little as two weeks can sap a third of your muscle strength. New research from the University of Copenhagen reveals that immobility lasting for just two weeks would reduce the leg muscle strength of a young man to that of someone 40 to 50 years older. The Danish researchers looked into the question of how inactivity affects leg muscle strength by immobilizing young and older male volunteers with a leg pad for two weeks. They report that while the young men lost up to a third of their muscle strength, the older ones lost about one-fourth. That loss is more significant than it may seem since the older men presumably already had reduced muscle strength due to age and would end up with much less physical capability than the younger group, the researchers reported. They found that biking three or four times a week for six weeks after the period of immobility didn't completely restore muscle strength even in the younger group. Cycling brought back muscle mass but to get to their original levels of strength, the men had to include weight training in their workouts.

This study presents a rather dramatic "use it or lose it" scenario. With luck, few of us will be completely immobilized for two weeks (or more), but accidents do happen, as do illnesses that can lay you low and keep you there from time to time. It's worth heeding this study's message - that to restore your fitness you have to do more than just return to your usual workout, you'll also have to include strength training (something I regard as an essential part of any exercise program along with aerobic exercise for cardiovascular fitness and stretching for flexibility).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."