Masters Running

Friday Leap Day Runs and Workouts (Read 611 times)

I read an article this morning in the local paper that some people don't know there's a Feb 29. I have to say that surprised me. A bit chilly this morning at 18F, but calm winds so that wasn't too bad. Today was a cute little 3 miler, almost not worth dirtying my clothes for. But that's what's on the schedule so that's what I did. Actually, I like the Friday 3 milers -- this adds a 6th day / week, but isn't long enough to wear me down and cause injury. In case anyone wonders, I always call the first mile "warmup" no matter how fast I run. This gives my HRM a chance to stabilize, so the AHR for the rest of the run can be more useful. Workout: 2.1 miles, 8:27/mi, AHR 139 Overall: 3.1 miles, 26:23 Have a great day. Go racers -- GO RELAYERS. (Did they start already?)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I do the same thing on my 1st mile too, Lou. Run easy, let the Garmin HR stabilize, call it a warmup. I always run the last mile as a cooldown, regardless of the plan for the day. Speaking of the Garmin, it lost signal early in my workout today, so I have no idea of mile split paces. But the workout was planned for 10 miles with negative splits. I ran the first half real easy (felt near recovery pace) and then ran it back in at what felt like GA, maybe even MP for a bit. 10.1 miles on a known course in 1:30 overall. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

No leaping for me----just a get 'er done run. Switched out the plans a bit and ran 4 miles at 5:45 AM---another day at easy pace with longer miles this weekend. Rising sun and -1F, calm wind and frozen hands. All in 35:45 (just under 9:00 pace). Busy morning and then we are off to Cape Cod this weekend for a hockey tournament. March is fixing to come in like a lion here with 9-12 inches of snow supposedly on the way. I am beyond happy to be in eastern MA. this weekend where the weather predictions don't inspire cursing in various languages. Good running, relaying, leaping, working-out to all and Happy Weekend---no computer again until Sunday. CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! CNYrunner – that’s a cold morning run! Have fun this weekend with your family. Like many, I have been wondering and worrying about one of my favorite posters, Dark Horse. I sent him an e-mail, saying he was missed and that I hoped all was well with him and his family. He sent back a short response, saying thank you and that they were well. I don’t know why he has dropped out of RA, but I hope he comes back. I sorely miss him. No run for me today – x-training instead: My marathon-training lower-body routine (1 minute between sets): 1. Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Sit-squats (30), ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) Plus triceps extensions, lateral raises, shoulder presses, glute raises, and a 13-minute ab/core video. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hill Runner

Good morning all, A rest day for me this morning but I may run tonight if I get home at a decent hour... Leap Year is the year that women are "allowed" to propose to men.... Smile http://www.leapyearday.com/WeddingsProposals.htm Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good Morning Everyone, No run for me today using a vacation day for race director duties. Stuff the late set of race packets and haul shirts (actually vests) to the local shoe store where the packet pick up will be on Saturday. Call my 15 volunteers to remind them of their duties for the Half Marathon/5k on Sunday. The race usually draws about 400/200 for 600 total. Not a large race but makes a nice bit of change for our scholarship fund. Running the half course, except for a 1 mile loop, on Saturday morning then to the packet pick up late sign-ups on Sat afternoon. Sunday race day of course will be all day event 6am-2pm. Appreciate race director's and volunteers! Off to the gym now for some bench presses, I decided to try the pump&run at the Flying Pig. Shocked So I got work to do. Smile Have a great weekend ya'll!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all, I like your term "cute" for your 3 miler Mr Beer. Friday's is my rest day, but maybe I should try your short run instead. Some people don't know there is a Feb 29th....huh? Some where in a thread here at RA I read something I thought was funny, it said something like this "I met an Ironman Triathlete once who said...you did a Marathon....that's cute" I guess the jest of the statement was "try and run a Marathon after swimming 2.4 miles and cycling 112 miles" Nice 10.1 miler Bill...boy, you must get up real early to run that far, then already post it here. Jeez CNY....that's freaking COLD That one thing I can't stand is for my hands to get cold...that ruins the whole run for me if that happens. Way to "get 'er done" Hope you have a good time at the hockey tournament. 9 to 12 inches of snow....yuck. And then there's Holly's amazing X training routine....I don't think I would have the patience to do all that as consistently as you do...good job Smile 6.7 mile easy run for me late last night in 1:01:23 - 9:10 pace - ave hr 129. My plan was to keep my hr at about 128 to 130 and run for about an hour....guess I nailed it. Hope all have a great TGIF, and good runs and races to all. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Head Procrastinator

Good Morning! CNYrunner – that’s a cold morning run! Have fun this weekend with your family. Like many, I have been wondering and worrying about one of my favorite posters, Dark Horse. I sent him an e-mail, saying he was missed and that I hoped all was well with him and his family. He sent back a short response, saying thank you and that they were well. I don’t know why he has dropped out of RA, but I hope he comes back. I sorely miss him. Happy Friday!
                  Holly, thanks for the update on Dark Horse.
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  SteveP

Nice way to name the thread Lou. "Leap Day" just seems right when you're wearing tights Thanks for the DH update Holly. I'll hunt down Roy...... Evil grin Black eye

SteveP

GreenMan

Total rest day. Not that I've really run the pedometer up this week. Exciting news is, today's me DW's last day of work at the state mental hospital. Finally she'll be able to focus all her therapeutic skills on me for a while Smile She'd been there for 2.5 years on the extended care unit and loved her patients and most of the staff, but the System finally wore her down Dead. Time for something new. She'll take a month or two off to figure out what she wants to do in the private sector. She's an RN and an LCSW so she has options and is highly motivated. She's the adventurer in the family. Come to think of it, wears pants more often too. Big grin Have a happy leap day jjj
                      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                      SteveP

"Leap Day" just seems right when you're wearing tights
                        Or kilts

SteveP

Tim mentioned: "Nice 10.1 miler Bill...boy, you must get up real early to run that far, then already post it here."
                          I try to get up in time so that I can finish by 6:30 AM or so. This gives me time to log my runs and get ready for work. I'm an early bird anyway, but running this early makes 9:00 PM my limit at night! (Real party Animal) Roll eyes Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP I am curious to know if there is a running kilt available anywhere? Holly thanks for the update on Dark Horse, his wit is missed. For me more miles than degrees on a rare morning run. 8 miles in 3 degrees today. Enjoy your extra day everyone.
                              Good morning, all! JJJ - hugs and congratulations to your wife. I'll bet she is so excited to be moving on. Bill - another party animal here - my DH and I can barely make it until 9:00 at night. He's falling asleep on the couch by 8:30 on most nights. Holly - thanks for posting about Dark Horse - the daily post isn't the same without him. Where's Roy?? 6.25 easy miles on the treadmill this morning. It was 7 degrees but no wind this AM with a Yankee Clipper system bearing down on us for tomorrow. Oh goody, more snow....... Good runs and a great weekend to all. Good luck to the weekend racers!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

SteveP

SteveP I am curious to know if there is a running kilt available anywhere? Enjoy your extra day everyone.
                                Talk to TripleJ. He's got photos Surprised Shocked

SteveP