Masters Running

St. Paddy's Day Daily - 3.17.15 (Read 34 times)

Happy St. Patrick's Day all!  I spent the prior two years in Dublin this day.  Sad to not be there again this year.  On the other hand, happy to not be going from one business to another for 10 days straight either!  Gotta take the good with the bad.

I ran 14 today.  I run a rough oval.  If it was a race track you can think of my house as the grandstand and I then run counter clockwise around the track.  Despite that somehow I spent the whole time running into a headwind!  How does that happen?    Just more evidence that nature is a malevolent beast!

Nearly forgot! A shot of Jameson 12 year old Irish whiskey to make it an official St. Patrick's Day!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Pass that  12 year old Jameson, twocat. Actually keep the Jameson to your self, just pass a slice of any bread you have made for today.

Another quick post here to celebrate  a very special day. After being on a contract work with my current employer, the Conservation District, I finally signed the paper  that makes me a full time and with full benefits employee. I am thrilled with the offer to say the least (long story short: my position with Employment Security Department was eliminated in October, I was offered a transfer position with the agency to Bremerton, WA. I did not take it since that would have meant for me to live 8 hours away from the Easy Pacer. During all that ordeal, I received a full time contract work with the county's Conservation District as  a grant writer and program management coordinator and now they have created a full time position for me). It sure feels good to be on the other end of the job hunting scene once again. Job hunting in remote rural America is so very hard. Moving on!!! Ohh and have I mentioned what a terrific world environment I have now? All of us take break walks together, flexible work hours and a very nurturing place to be.

Running, today was speed work 6x800m with 1' intervals. Great effort while being chased by little kids who thought it was fun to run faster than me for 20ms or so.

Cheers.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

congrats on the permanent job opportunity Nancy! wonderful news. Have some Jameson to celebrate 

ran my 6 miles tonight.

coach said 3 easy out: 9.30, 9.45, 9.55

and 3 tempo back. 8.53, 8.54, 8.44.

I am not sure what my tempo pace is but figured probably at least a minute faster. should I have tried to go faster for tempo? I remember a long time ago you could plug in race times into a mcmillan calculator, but i think you have to pay for that service and calculation now, don't you?

Tammy

evanflein

I think that McMillan calculator is still available at no cost... Check it out here. Nice job on the run today, Tammy!

Congrats on the new job, Mariposai! Sounds like you found a good work "home" with some like-minded coworkers. That really makes a big difference.

Today got nice and warm! I think it might've gotten over 40° today, but I had some afternoon work issues that kept me at the office till about 5:30. It was still mid-30's for my run and I overheated quite a bit. Gotta figure out this "warm weather" running thing again. 5.7 miles, felt harder than they should've because of the softening snowpack on the bike path. Geez, I can't wait to run on dry ground again!

SteveP

That's a lot of snow mrrun. Adam West's birthday should be a holiday.

AamosY, stoopid gravity.

Nancy Drew?? Oh the horror.

I'm very happy for you Nancy.

The company that cut me loose 7 1/2 years ago called me again offering even more money than when they called me last September. I really can not figure out why. When I was with the lumber yard that was bought out - I could see it. There wasn't anyone else in the company that could do the variety of things that I did. Granted, there are days when my current job makes me wonder. Most days are an adventure.

Anyway. 2 miles with DW and the mutt.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Ohh and have I mentioned what a terrific world environment I have now? All of us take break walks together, flexible work hours and a very nurturing place to be.

Awesome - congratulations, Nancy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, those are fine tempo paces for you.  Good job. Spareribs

TammyinGP

thanks for that link Erika. What that gives you is what your paces could/should be for various distances in races, but seems like I recall a long time ago, you could plug in your 5 mile race time, for example, and it would not only predict your race times for other distances, but then also give you target paces to hit for various workouts, such as speedwork, tempo, recovery, long run paces, etc.   That's what I am not seeing there anymore and that I think you have to being a paying member to view.

If Ribs says those are good tempo paces, I'm going with it. Thanks. 

Tammy

SubDood

thanks for that link Erika. What that gives you is what your paces could/should be for various distances in races, but seems like I recall a long time ago, you could plug in your 5 mile race time, for example, and it would not only predict your race times for other distances, but then also give you target paces to hit for various workouts, such as speedwork, tempo, recovery, long run paces, etc.   That's what I am not seeing there anymore and that I think you have to being a paying member to view.

If Ribs says those are good tempo paces, I'm going with it. Thanks. 

Hi Tammy,

FWIW, the training paces are still free, you just need to go to the left side of the screen, just below the "Re-Calculate" button, and click on the "Training Paces" tab. It's probably more info than needed, but it's there and it's free!

Bob