Masters Running

Saturday, 4.11.15 (Read 35 times)

Wow that Cher(s) photo really made me LOL!

Whoever was my son's gym teacher, I thank him/her!  I should really find out who it was and send them an email.  As we all know, when we were kids, it was all "Go run as fast as you can for X minutes".  And the heavy kids or indoorsy anemic kids (like my son) would have no chance against the natural high-energy sporty kids, and feel like absolute shit about the whole thing.  But I guess with the advent of couch to 5K and other such excellent ways to slowly introduce running to sedentary folks, the school had a nice program to slowly increase the distance the kids ran each day (or every other day...not sure how it worked).  I do know that it was over several weeks, and each time they ran a new distance record (2 miles, or say 3 miles) my son would come home so proud and announce it to me.  

So yesterday he wanted to do a trail run with me.  And we did - except his knee was hurting, so it was more of a jog/walk/hike thing.  But that was OK, as when we were running - he would pull ahead of me easily, and I was struggling to keep up (I am SO out of shape right now!)  Then near the end we were walking and chatting, and he said "Come on Mom, you have to finish strong, let's run the rest of the way!"  And when we got to the car, he remarked on how heavy my breathing was, compared to his!!!!!!  Love it!

I ran 3 times last week, about 3 miles each time, with lots of walking, but just today I noticed I had no knee pain upon squatting - which is a radical change from the past 3 or 4 months.  Unbelievable that it feels this good.  Pretty happy camper here.   So I plan on a longer run tomorrow at the horse trails.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I am away visiting my son Daniel for WSU mom's weekend.  We are having a blast.

Way to go David.

Ribs, great news.

Glad to hear that Enkephanen's son is picking up running.

My son and I also ran together today. 9 miles with him, then 3 alone for a total of 12 miles. My last long run before Boston.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Great posts today!  Enke and Mariposai running with their sons,  RIbs is cancer-free after a year, Marj and Henry are joining the Somerville crew, Tomwhite is still inspiring all of us, Jay is training more racewalkers, Tammy ran a good 10 miler and David advanced to Nationals, Kevin ran a double, Tet can't say "no" in Korean, and Amy and her DH ran a good HM!

I met a friend to run a new (to me) trail near the town of Palmer Lake, CO.  Beautiful trails - views of Pikes Peak, cool rock formations, sweet single track, and all in a nice pine forest where it was cool and shady.  We ran 14 miles, and it took almost 5 hours!  Some of the trails seriously could have used switchbacks, because they were way too steep to run, either up or down!  And we wore matching shirts from a trail race a couple of years ago, without even planning it:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.