Masters Running

Thursday 01/08/2015 ----- 0.5 hurried miles at the Honolulu airport (Read 34 times)

Jlynne, that was an awful idea about the bet. Everyone I have ever coached, with the exception of Mariposai, has gotten hurt, so you don't want me doing that. And as for brats, never liked 'em.

I beg to differ, Ribs. Look at how well Mrs. Ribs is doing. She continues to shave time off of her races. I guess I am a lot older than her, but surely you can come up with SOMETHING to help me break 2 hours! And ok, you don't like brats. I'll find something else to send you if you win. Maybe an Aaron Rodgers jersey

Aamos - would you share you recipe for your energy bars?

Isn't Walking Dead awesome Twocat?! And I see House of Cards is starting back up on Netflix next month. Can't wait!

Marathon Maniac #957

Follow-up at the cardiologists office for blood work etc. Nothing unusual.  

Nice to hear!

Starr - when it gets this cold, I run a small space heater in the bathroom when I shower.  I hate to get out of the shower into a freezing bathroom.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thumbs up on flannel sheets and space heaters in cold bathrooms! The cold seems to affect me more the last couple of years and I also find myself wearing Smartwool or other thick hiking socks all the time lately.

What's Ribs got against rambunctious kids? Of course, my kid was never a brat!

Feeling better today with just one low-level source of pain and no dizziness, so I went to the rec center for a swim. The worst part was getting a severe sinus headache walking in -- something about heading into a 15mph wind and it was 5F outside. I should have taken my DW's advice to wear a balaclava even for that short of a walk.

Anyway, a decent swim in the pool and an even better few minutes in the hot tub afterwards. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'll up the ante on sheets--DW and I like the bedroom cool (probably to an extreme--it was 53 this morning) so we've moved from flannel to fleece sheets.  So, very cozy while under the covers, but a bit painful on the way to the bathroom   The cat loves them, too.  I have her curled behind my knees most of the night.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I watched the fall finally of the Walking Dead and manged 9 miles. 

Say what??

And Starr, I'd love to have a beautiful quilt, only the cats would destroy it.  Not intentionally, but when you have 5 nothing is sacred.

I have a croqueted bedspread (is that what it would be called?) that a great aunt made for me years ago.  I don't dare bring that out with the cats.  It's king size and heavy, but I would cry if it got ruined.

I do have a small "throw" quilt a friend made for me after years of wondering why I was being snubbed.    It lays across the back of a bench the cats never get on.

Now if I could find someone who would love make me a king size quilt, I would most definitely NOT turn down such a gift.  (anyone?  anyone? )

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

F

Someone asked the other day why the Cowboys got the label America's Team, no doubt because they have been awful for awhile. But back in the day, from 1966 to 1982, Tom Landry's teams played in 12 out of 17 NFC Championship Games.   (The first two in the pre-merger days were called NFL championships.)

Back in those days I lived in Washington DC and supported the local team who's name I won't type.  They were my first professional football games and every Thanksgiving Day dinners were timed around that rivalry - fond memories!

no runs today - windchill won out!

marj

ribs, I'm glad to hear you had a good checkup.  Nice job on the speedwork for Tammy.

It was another windy, single digit morning, and 5 more miles on the TM.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Aamos - would you share you recipe for your energy bars?

And I see House of Cards is starting back up on Netflix next month. Can't wait!

Sure, but first a warning: it's a formula, meaning you can choose items from group A, then from Group B, so you can custom it for what you like, but the base ingredient is a can of beans--black, white, pinto, garbanzos, but beans.  I love it. (I think if you ate one and didn't know it, you wouldn't know the base is beans.)

As for House of Cards, we've been following the (original) English version, with Ian Richardson.  It's very good, and the differences with the English Parliment & Monarchy make it almost educational.

The Ultimate Energy Bar Formula

1-pound can of beans, drained and rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked beans)

½ cup binder

¼ cup sweetener

¼ cup soft sweet fruit

1 teaspoon of extract (optional)

1 teaspoon of dry spice (optional)

¼ teaspoon sea salt

1.5 cups of oats (you can toast them if you want but I can’t tell the difference)

1 cup dry base ingredient

1 cup stir-ins

In a food processor (or use a hand blender), combine beans, binder, sweetener, soft fruit, extract, spice, and salt until smooth. Add the oats and dry base ingredients and pulse just to combine. Add stir-ins and pulse again just to combine. If the consistency seems spreadable, you’re good. If it’s too dry, add 1/4 cup of water; if it’s too runny, add an additional 1/4 cup of the dry base ingredient.

Grease 13×9 pan with baking spray or rub with 1 tablespoon oil, then spread mixture into pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Note: You’ll have the most success if you use unsalted, unsweetened versions of the ingredients, and control the sweetness and saltiness through the sweetener and added salt.

Recommended beans

White beans

Black beans

Pinto beans

Chickpeas

Adzuki beans

Recommended binders

Almond butter

Peanut butter

¼ cup of ground flax seed mixed with ¼ cup water

Pureed pumpkin

Mashed avocado

Recommended sweeteners

Maple syrup

Brown rice syrup

Agave nectar

Honey

Recommended soft, sweet fruit

Applesauce

Mashed banana (about half of one)

Chopped dates (remove the pits!)

Crushed pineapple

Recommended optional extracts

Vanilla

Almond

Lemon

Recommended dry spices

Cinnamon

Ginger

Nutmeg

Cardamom

Instant coffee

*For stronger spices like nutmeg and cardamom, use just a ¼-½ teaspoon and combine with less intense spices like cinnamon.

Recommended dry base ingredient (a combination is usually best)

Protein powder (I use rice or hemp)

Brown rice flour

Spelt flour

Cocoa (max ½ cup)

Whole-wheat flour

Buckwheat flour

Recommended stir-ins

Shredded coconut

Dried cranberries

Raisins

Dried apricots

Chopped nuts

Cacao nibs

Dry cereal

Crushed pretzels

Chocolate chips

So that’s the basic formula! To help get you started, here are a couple:

Example #1: chocolate black bean happy bars

1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1.5 cups)

½ cup almond butter

¼ cup agave

¼ cup mashed banana

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon salt

1.5 cups of oats

1/2 cup cocoa + ½ cup brown rice flour

½ cup shredded coconut + ½ cup raisins

Example #2: maple pumpkin health bars

1 can of great northern beans, drained and rinsed

½ cup pureed pumpkin

½ cup maple syrup (used more syrup in place of sweet fruit for flavor)

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

¼ teaspoon salt

1.5 cups of oats

1 cup spelt flour

1 cup raisin bran cereal

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

We use a cotton  blanket for a bedspread,  with a couple of good blankets under it.  Of course the cat has made a mess of it.

3 miles easy on the TM.  Will be warm enough on Saturday for a good LR on the trails.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  No time to post, really, but wanted to stop in and say hi.  Hi!

Okay--gotta go--see ya!

Hi Mike! Just wanted to say that I got a Sporthill catalog in the mail today and it is factorized by temperature. The lowest is 0- 40 degrees. I guess that means we are supposed to be smart enough to stay inside below zero. Nasty weather with blowing snow is causing highways to be closed. I hope everyone is safe. I do feel sorry for people in Florida trying to get in a warm weather vacation.

I am glad I don't have kids in school. Today they announced at 6:30 a two hour late start then at 7:45 cancelled school entirely. It was simpler when I was a kid since my dad was employed by the school and decided if school was on or off. I don't think we ever had much say in it, but boy did we try, especially if a test was scheduled for the next day!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

I hope you enjoyed your time in Honolulu, Tet.

Tammy may have the best coach.

Lots of schools in the area were closed because of the weather. In a town called Leland, they often get ice rollers. Small chunks of ice that the waves and shore batter until they are roundish. As the temps drop, they become larger. 

I'm wondering if the tug still docked is supposed to be like that, or if there has been an error in judgement.

One mile behind the snow blower. Didn't do quite half of the driveway. The took Tag into the valley and got 2 1/4 miles in while out of the wind. The packed snow is easier on the back. It did dash my hopes for Olympic hardware.

SteveP