Masters Running

Saturday February 21 master, boomer, gen-x runs and weekend activity (Read 457 times)

Tselbs, from Wikipedia: In the famous 1991 book Generations, William Strauss and Neil Howe defined the birth years as 1943 to 1960. (instead of the usual '46-'64). In that case, wouldn't you be in and I be out? Surprised
    That's interesting, nono. You made me feel younger. Thanks. TomS
      Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about that wind from so many people. Cruel cruel cruel. It will make you stronger on marathon day! Lately here it has been 31F in the mornings, as I have to scrape the frozen dew off the car, then up to 50F mid-day. Since I hate running in tights, I decided to wait till about 10:30 am when it would be 40F. So I did 45 min on the stationary bike which tired my legs out a bit, then outside for an easy 6 miler. I changed up my route and it made it so much more enjoyable. And the hills didn't even seem so huge in reverse, as they usually do. I did two earthy miles in the Bridle Trails, and the horse poop was copious and fresh so I had to watch my step. With the 300 ft elevation gain and other up and down hills I was happy that my pace was 11:10 overall. It was a glorious day to be a runner. Even with dead legs, with the confluence of sunshine, no wind, and 44F (I think that is the perfect temperature), I was transported to my happy place. Smile Where is the report Perch??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Jlynne, 10 on the dreadmill at 5:30 am - wowza. You're nuts. Mary, 9 in a snowstorm sounds better to me. Although you're probably nuts too. Leslie, I liked your "here's your sign" comeback to the driver. Bill Engvall's a funny dude. Perch, great racing! Your training sure is paying off. Nono, you've had some speedy running lately. What's your secret? (sea level?) Holly, way to tough out a 20 miler. The wind can really sap your energy. Too bad you couldn't just keep going with the wind at your back and call for a ride at the end! But I guess 20 miles is kind of far to expect someone to come fetch you. Maybe there's a bus? Mari, nice 20 for you too! I don't think I could speed up that much for miles 12-15. Enke, nice "happy place" running in the horse poop! Tongue I had to skip my planned run after the eye doctor appointment yesterday because my eyes were dilated and I couldn't see very well. So I'm seriously behind on mileage this week and trying to make it up this weekend. I did a variety run today: first, 4 hilly miles with Tazzie and Ladybug. We got about 2" of snow last night so I wore yaks, but took them off partway through and set them under a tree because there was more bare dirt than snow. But then the next mile was almost all snow, so I wished I still had them on. Sad Then DD and I went to the rec center where I joined her for the 2 miles on her schedule today. (Tomorrow is her first ever 5 miler!) She dropped me at the crest of the hill on the way to the rec center and also on the way home, so I got in another 1.8 miles all downhill. Kind of cheating to have her drop me off at the high point, but it's tough to run up and over that hill twice. And I'd already done it twice on my run with the dogs. So a grand total of 7.8 miles today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

Forgot to mention: I fell down on my run today. Two little ankle-biter dogs came out to yap at us when I was running with my dogs, and I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I think one of my dogs bumped my legs, and down I went. Luckily I had gloves on, and long pants and long sleeves, so no major damage. My right palm, elbow, and hip feel a bit sore but no scrapes. This was on bare dirt, not snow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Ouch, sorry about the fall, Carolyn. Where'd you find bare dirt? Enke, I think mid-40's are about IRC, too. Especially with no wind or rain! Mariposai, I do several 30 mile weekends and while they're tiring I think they're pretty good training in the last couple of months before the marathon. We had a beautiful day here, with nice temps (14 when I started, 9 when I was done) and bright sunshine. A little breeze made for some uncomfortable wind chill, especially on my face, but didn't really slow me down. I did find myself wishing I'd had a second layer on my top... another long sleeved tee would've been nice. Oh well. Bike paths were plowed, some better than others but overall pretty nice considering all the snow we got this past week. Goal today was an overall marathon pace run, and since I'm not sure what to plan for MP I was hoping to keep it between 8:20 and 8:30. Started out sorta easy with some road crossings and hilly parts, then settled into some nice paces for the later miles. 10.5 miles, 8:15 avg pace. Mile splits: 8:28, 8:23, 8:28, 8:20, 8:27, 8:17, 8:12, 8:01, 7:50, 8:01, and 7:58 for the last half mile. I'm really pleased with mile 7 (8:12) because that had an icy road crossing and a pretty good sized hill on the overpass over the train tracks. Sure hope I saved some of that sproink for tomorrow's long run...