Masters Running

'Nother Monday, 8.18.14 (Read 33 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Slo, is that even possible? That's a 14mph average if you rode continuously without stopping for breaks, meals, etc. I have a tough time maintaining that as a moving average over a 60-mile distance.

thanks Roch - that's exactly what I was thinking too.

SLO - Very speedy cycling.

At that rate, even if you took nearly the full 2hr/20 min for the swim like some people I know needed in their day <<<(thatwouldbeme)>>>, you’d still have eight hours for the marathon finale that lasts through midnight.

just sayin’

ps - not that I would know or anything like that but it is possible to sidestroke 2.4 miles within a 2hr/20min cutoff, . . . and a lot of European triathletes breast stroke it in an hour. .

ps tammy - did anyone get to do any running in any particular places when you were in Seattle and at the Mariner games?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet - lots and lots of walking, but only one short run with David near the hotel one morning.  We didn't drive anywhere the whole weekend - parked the car at the hotel and used light rail to get downtown. I wish I could have taken him up to Greenlake for a run, but the drive up there wouldn't have been worth it with all the other stuff we were doing.

Tammy

evanflein

Slo, that's great what you're doing in your community. Just think if more people took that initiative!

Welcome back to Tammy and Marj. Sounds like nice getaways. Tammy, I'm sure he'll make Varsity.

Yum, blackberries. Take care of that shoulder, Tet. And there aren't many options in Equinox-land to run downhill for 26 miles.... Up and down for 26, yes, but not straight down for that long!

Denise, nice job to your son on his triathlon! Very well done, and nice job being the running cheerleader, too!

Hey, PBJ! Sure wish you'd pop in more often.

I have no idea when school starts!  and that's just fine by me. I'm sure I'll notice when the big yellow busses are back on the road.

Funny about this group, there's always so much going on, and so many cool things being done and great runs, but by the time I get to writing a post, I can't remember a lot of details. Please know that everyone's posts are important and most bring a smile or cause to think about things. So many inspiring, creative, talented and caring people on this forum!

Thanks for all the comments on my race. Ribs, I don't know about getting faster, but I am getting tougher I think. I don't know that I would've taken on this course a few years ago. But then again, in 2011 I ran some pretty challenging marathons in June.... It's all a fun journey, ya know? And it was great to see Carolyn, and now I can cross CO off my list. So, it's all good. Except my quads. They're really not happy with me. Ran a very mincing 2.5 mile recovery run today, and again amazed at how people breathe around here. At about 9,200 feet, I got winded pretty easily even at a slow pace. Massage afterwards. Hopefully I'll be up for a little bit longer run tomorrow because there's a lot of nice places I want to re-visit around here.

BTY

I think there is a fine line between being inspired by what I read here and being awed into submission. "I ran some challenging marathons in June one year" just doesn't come up in conversation in most corners.       I have run one half marathon course, twice - once in 2009 and once in 2011, and have to remember that for me, that was a lifetime accomplishment.  Aye caramba!

Today was another day of resting the hamstring but I got in a good stretch and strengthening workout early in the AM. I don't have pain in the leg so it's tempting to stretch that hamstring but I only give in a little. Most of my stiffness is always in the right hip and IT band, but when injuries pop up they seem to be left hamstring, left Achilles, etc. I guess that's pretty predictable. I stretch everything from the hip down 3 to 4 times a week in addition to before and after running.

SteveP

Jay, time to show the bat who is boss. Break out the mothballs.

You may have to change your handle, Slo. Thank you for sharing that article.

Starting to check the weather for Saturday's 1/2. Now if the body will co-operate.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Remember how many people were saying the summer was going to be very hot because the winter was so cold?  Guess they were all wrong.

Yes, I remember the weatherpeople predicting "the hottest summer on record."  I bet they are so unhappy to be wrong - those weather folk seem to thrive on gloom and doom forecasts....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BlazinCajun

Slo_Hand - Way to lend a hand:-) Nice article. Good luck with the cross state ride.
                Congrats to ribs, The Saint, Erika, and Dave in your races
                TomS - Way to get the 8 miler in
                Congrats to Summer for being cooler than predicted

Ran with my oldest daughter last evening. After the run while we were walking she commented that the run was easier than first thought. Miss these runs - she is so busy. Often wonder who gets more out of these runs?

Andrew

Andrew
                ------------------
                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                Hb 3:19