Masters Running

Saturday January 12 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 543 times)

TammyinGP

Hi All! Holly - I must agree that your DD is a mini-holly! I bet she is your spunk and attitude as well Wink DarkHorse - that is so cool you have hooked up with that older lady for reading and conversation. Very sweet when we meet people in life like that. I like that farmer deal you stumbled on as well. I'm sure there are things like that around here too, but i imagine it's word of mouth and I haven't heard of something like that here. I would definitely take advantage of it though. I very much like the idea of supporting local folks, small business owners, etc. I do try to grow as much of my own stuff as I can each year in my garden and generally I can can enough food to last us through early spring. Happy Anniversary PJH and Mrs! Enjoy! Mariposai - that was a great picture of you skiing. Do you know just how badly I'd love to escape for a few days and hang out with you, go skiing, go running, etc. More than you probably know! Wink MC - you are seemingly so calm and collected Clowning around. . . Have a great race! I think I'm looking forward to hearing about your race the most! Yesterday, I went in for treatment (from my sports chiro) on what I thought was a sore shoulder muscle area and ends up being a pretty badly strained rotator cuff injury. After the treatment, I was more sore than before, but as he promised, if I keep up with my stretches, ice, etc. it'd feel better in a day or two. Today already feels better than yesterday. So, I'm going to postpone my long run to tomorrow afternoon and let my shoulder heal up a bit more before I go out and pump my arms back and forth for 2+ hrs. have a good day everyone! Good luck racers and enjoy all your runs!

Tammy

Dave59

Just hanging on by a thread from becoming a couch potato. Second run of the week. This one was 5.2 miles. I ran 20 minutes before feeling like death was about to overtake me, so I switched to a walk 1, run 5 (minutes) pattern and resisted the urge to take a shortcut back home and stop at 3 miles.

A nice day to run.....too bad I didn't feel good at doing it. After 1.48 miles I called it "a day" and stopped. My chest area probably is going to need another couple of days before it feels normal again enough for me to run with no discomfort. I decided to stop today and give it another day of healing would be better than trying to push it. Great pictures from Holly and Mari.......That daughter of yours, Holly has SO much expression without even realizing it.
        Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - I don’t have anything exciting to tell you, I was just being bold…. Teresa – congratulations on your longest run yet! Mariposai – I, too, love your x-country skiing photos (you look fabulous, btw). I’ve always wanted to try that. PJH – congratulations on your 34th wedding anniversary. CNYrunner – wow! Awesome 20! {{{tammy’s shoulder}}} {{{everyone who is sick}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Manchild

Good Day Gang! I ran at 12:20 PM, 10.24 miles, my longest in awhile, in 1:33:58 for a 9:11 pace which duplicates the pace I ran 8 in last weekend. So, I'm pleased. Lovely conditions, clear and warm 52 degrees. Holly- That pic is wonderful! Have a great day and evening all! Chris
            spacityrunner

Wow, some very nice outings for folks today. I managed to walk 6 miles for approx. 1:30 for an avg 15:30 m/m. I am beginning to think that the drugs had a very lot to do with my foot feeling better. It is fairly cranky now, but I would not say it is "painful". I am hoping that I can go out and do some short, slow runs this week. Also did about 1000 yds in the pool today. Was looking forward to the cold plunge pool but it was empty today. They couldn't tell me when it would be back....oh well.

Trails Rock!

#artbydmcbride

18 miles on the beach path with dromedary. Fogged in thick the whole way. It made it really hard to watch the surfers undress, but I did my best. Big grin

Runners run

A slow 8.4 in perfect 45 degree weather, followed by a leisurely 1 mile swim to get the stiffness out from the long run. Had planned to do an even 9, but got scared at the sight of a downhill that I knew I'd have to come back up. Next Sat. I'll be braver. Ok, how do you get the emoticons to show up???? Feeling dumb in TN.
                    Sounds like some great January weather in most areas today. Perfect here in NE Ohio 32F with clear roads and skies. 5 easy miles with DW today. Felt really good, legs wanted to go fast Big grin but 11 hilly miles on agenda for tomorrow so I had to hold back cause I haven't gone that long in the last 10 weeks. Everyone have a wonderful weekend.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

DH - we have something like that around here. A box of organic produce dropped off close to your house once a week during summmer. I have never signed up, because it would be too much for our small picky eater family. I have thought about going in halves with a friend of mine, logistics though... My own home gardening attempts have yielded tons of zuccini and incredibily tiny carrots. I have great parsely though, and usually grow enough basil to make a couple batches of pesto...yum. Relaxing 6 mile TM run today. It felt so much better than yesterday's run, like PJH said, funny how that works. I guess I just needed more recovery time from the hills I ran on Wednesday. Congrats to Teresa!! Each time you go a little further is a major accomplishment, so enjoy!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

18 miles with fabulous Ileneforward! 50 deg F at first. Like she said, it was foggy at the beach, but we warmed up after 2 miles. The surfers did not come out until the sun burned off the fog and then they got kinda warm and started peeling off their wetsuits Big grin

Hill Runner

HI all, 7.11 miles of hills @ 8:52 pace...beautiful afternoon to run. I had to put 7 miles in today to get my 40 for the week. Smile Now to get cleaned up & out to diner...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Keep dreaming Tramps. You know what they say when you're not the lead dog? The view is always the same. 4.25 easy treadmill miles just to keep things loose for tomorrow's LR. I took my P-car to Pedro's today (Peter may know of him). He has his own lift in his garage. How cool is that? He did a brake job for me and checked out the car. Everything's great (mostly). He knows all about P-cars. Turns out he's an old runner (since '74). Had to stop 2 years ago due to serious injuries. But we had a nice running commentary about P-cars and marathons. Most Fun! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresa - congrats on the new record. I managed to go on my longest run/walk to date - 4.5 miles. I actually went far enough that I have a hot spot on the bottom of my left foot. Must watch the sock bunching up in the shoe next time. I think I have found a limit for a while as my achilles is not particularly happy. I just want to keep up with that darn pace bunny in the 1000km group. I think I will have to resign myself to falling behind for the next couple of months until my weekly mileage catches up with him. Sounds like most folks are having good weather. It was nice/not nice here varying about every 15 minutes. I got a taste of wind, no wind, sun, clouds, and even rain. Typical for us in January. but I got out on a section of the rail-to-trail that I normally bike and got to really see what is along the trail. Lots of geese and horses and could actually hear them. Nice day, overall.
                              Have you got a flag?
                              evanflein

0930 -29F 7 miles... on the treadmill at the gym. I have my limits... (1@8:49, 4@8:34, 1@8:49, 1@8:57) Walked a mile 30 minutes of super-set weights including the weight assisted chinup... haven't done those in ages. Nice long runs today... wow 18's and 20's all over the place it seems. I'm looking at doing my "long run" tomorrow (only 10 miles or so) on the treadmill cuz the temps aren't going to get any better anytime soon. Farm Co-ops... I think that's what those veggie share arrangements are called. We have one here with the organic farm on the other side of the valley, but I grow so much of my own stuff I don't really need it. If I ever ditch the garden though, I'll be signing up. My friend in Anchorage does one and she gets a lot of really cool stuff. Holly, as others have said, your son is being very good to pose this last time... I'd never have gotten my kids on Santa's knee after age 5... Enjoying a relatively quiet house this weekend. DH and DS2 are in Anchorage for DS2's soccer camp. So it's me here with "the quiet kid" who reads and plays World of Warcraft or Halo all day... I was going to work on house clean up all day, it's 2:35 and I have barely started. Roll eyes Oh well... the other guys don't get back till tomorrow evening so I've got time, right? Steve!! Thanks for the treats... do I have to share?