Masters Running

Tweeter Experts!! Need help here!!! (Read 30 times)

Mariposai

Running fanatic decided to organize a half marathon for my community.

I am being told if I want to really impact all generations I need to learn to twitter.

Me, twitter?

Really?

But if that will boost my race registration I am willing to learn....

Okkkkk....

Now that I created an account for the race...how do I keep the news feed going???

Help!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

I'm no expert, but I have a twitter account.  Mostly to follow local and national news.  My twitter account is @dave59.

What is the name of your race account?

You need to get some followers, so hit up all your running (and non-running) friends and ask them to follow the account.  Sign into your account regularly and post little updates.  How the course layout is going, pictures of different spots, anything that may seem interesting.  If the race is raising money for something, get that group to follow you too.

The goal is to get your followers to retweet some of what you post and then all their followers see what you posted.  Some of those will click your twitter name (on the retweet) to go to your account and then start following you too.

As your number of followers go up, people seem to think that makes you even more worth following and they will jump on the bandwagon.  (And that is why some people buy followers by the hundreds and thousands.)

evanflein

My niece set up my account, and I hardly ever check it. Should check it out, I guess.

Singer who runs a smidge

I maintain the Twitter account for my barbershop chorus(@SkylineHarmony), which sounds a little like what you're doing.  There are a couple of main points.  One, keep it active.  Post something to it every couple of days, whether it's photos of the course, a note on how things are going, what sort of training one might need, what the weather is supposed to be like, motivational quotes, anything.  Seek out other twitter accounts to follow -- in my case, I follow choruses and quartets all over the world.  Many of my tweets aren't original, they're retweets of other people's tweets.  The other main point is to advertise it -- put your twitter handle on all of your e-mails, flyers, FB page, etc.  If participants don't know about it, they won't follow it.

Good luck!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tramps

The key to Twitter to is find similar others and create a community.  Typically you search for people and groups in your interest area and "follow" them.  Many of them will, in turn, choose to "follow" you.  You can look to see who they follow and follow them, etc. From that base you begin to post relevant tweets.  If people find your tweets of interest, they will retweet to their network and so on.  This usually takes time to build and probably won't be an effective one-shot promotion strategy.  Instead, think long term. For any of these--Instagram, Snapchat, etc.--what you get from it depends on the community you build.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Thanks for your taking the time to reply to my inquiry. My account is Omak orchardsinbloom @fit4life.

Tramps, you sure are learning a lot about technology and social media! Good for you.

I can see that this will take some time to build followers, a long term goal like others said here. I will come back here now and there with more questions, for sure.

BTW, feel welcome to find me on twiter ...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Thanks for your taking the time to reply to my inquiry. My account is Omak orchardsinbloom @fit4life.

Tramps, you sure are learning a lot about technology and social media! Good for you.

I can see that this will take some time to build followers, a long term goal like others said here. I will come back here now and there with more questions, for sure.

BTW, feel welcome to find me on twiter ...

The account to follow appears to be under @omakfit4life because @fit4life looked like an individual (who is associated with the race.)  

If I am right, I just doubled your followers.

If I am wrong, let me know.

Mariposai

Yes, Dave, you just doubled my follower. 

The account is @omakfit4life.