Masters Running

What would you stop running to pick up? (Read 455 times)

TOTALLY off subject.........but I had a secretary once who announced in my staff meeting of about 15 people......that her Uncle had just bought a used condom. "A CONDOM?" someone asked. Everyone then went silent as she explained that he had lived in an apartment but was pleased to get this condom from a friend who was getting out of it for something bigger. The amazing thing was, no one laughed, no one said anything and I quickly brought up the next topic. (I later had another secretary do a little "chat" with her).
    Vista
      Oh my goodness Vista! I am waiting for a plane and I am laughing so hard right now---and can't stop. This could be a separate thread, but I'll add one that your post prompted. While walking through a botanical garden with a friend a few years ago, she yells out: "Oh Look! Chlamydia!!! I LOVE that plant" I looked at her and then just lost it, laughing so hard. She looked at me and then turned all shades of red. It was a Cyclamen that caused her shouts of joy, but to all others in the garden it was an afternoon of snorting and laughing. Oh dear.... Thank goodness they are making boarding announcements now. I can't take this......mascara running down my face, nose running laughter.....she runs down the jet way. CNYrunner
        I was running my figure 8 loop in the neighborhood with DW when on second loop I noticed a quarter (25cents) lying in the street in plain sight, I said to wife there's no way that was there 10 minutes ago and I stopped to pick it up on 3rd loop. When we came around on the 4th loop there was another quarter in the same place so I picked it up and then heard a neighbor laughing and he confessed he put them there for fun. I got even, when he woke up the next morning he discovered "House for sale by owner" sign in his front yard. Roll eyes I picked up a horseshoe while running in Amish country I kept it for good luck. Cool I found a ballon in a tree with a note attached so I stopped and discovered it was a contest from a second grade class in Troy, Mi. I wrote back to them with location it was found, they wrote back to say it was the 2nd farthest away to report back in (about 285 miles). I found a baseball batting helmet in the street, I was able to find owner and return it.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Manchild

I have found many many things while on the roads...A pair of "nippers" (pliers), 30 feet of 3/4 inch boat rope, a combination wrench, a maglite flashlight, lots of change, roadkill of many varieties... Just to name a few. The strangest thing I have ever seen was a few years back, a young(small) skunk came out of the woods ahead of me and began running on the trail. I continued running, slowing as he/she did and speeding up as he/she did. Now you would think that this would last for a very short time until the skunk ran off back into the woods...Not so, we continued on for easily a half mile or more at which point I turned onto a path running perpendicular to the one we were on. I looked back and the skunk had stopped and watched me run away.. Chris
          cajohnson5

worms ... unless it has just rained and there are too many of them ... or I am doing speedwork. i don't pick them up, mind you. i like to put them back near the dirt so they can get back to work.
            SteveP

Coins have "In God We Truast" stamped on them. I'll pick up any denomination. It's a reminder to count my blessings. I've stopped to pick asparagus during a race. I've picked up turtles in the road. They way they react once they've been picked up reminds me of ice baths. Picking up road hazards are a must.

SteveP

Dave59

Coins have "In God We Truast" stamped on them.
                You've been picking up some counterfeit coins I'm afraid. Don't try to use those anywhere. Big grin

spacityrunner

Running in an urban environment gives you the chance to see all kinds of "garbage" in, on the side of, and around the roads, parks and pathways. Humans are a filthy animal for sure. I would need a garbage truck to stop to pick up what I see while running. But once, back when I was running, on an early Sunday morning on the National Mall, there was a $20 bill on the ground. I stopped, looked around,no one was around (it was like 6 a.m), and I picked it up and put it in my pocket. Big grin After my run I went to the local farmers market and spent it all. (and then some). My way of giving back. Smile I generally don't stop for anything. But $20 got my attention.....

Trails Rock!

#artbydmcbride

I pick up sand dollars while running on the beach.... does that count as money? Probably the most unusual thing I picked up was when I was running on trails in the redwoods in Northern California and found some poor hippie's pipe with a little stash compartment that was full.
                    Was that near Avenue of the Giants, Jim? I think I know whose pipe that is. If you send it to me I'll try to deliver it....... Big grin

Runners run

Was that near Avenue of the Giants, Jim? I think I know whose pipe that is. If you send it to me I'll try to deliver it....... Big grin
                      No... I didn't find a pipe last year at the Avenue... did you lose something Big grin .... it was a on the coast in Mendocino a few years back