Masters Running

40s On the Run - Our Dreams are Within Our Reach (Wk of 04/27/08) (Read 526 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - you know us runners, kind of an earthy bunch, we love dem bodily-function reports! Wink Glad to hear the PT is going well, I hope you get enough workout ideas so that you can keep it going. About the heat - it takes acclimation, that's all. That heat wave came on so suddenly last week that my body just wasn't ready. In the past I've been able to ease into it, but no doubt it's hard. Really slows you down. Jewels - on the subject of heat, what I don't get is how you deal with the heat + humidity. I guess all you can do is slow down some more. Jim - cool rig! Looks like there's GPS displaying what part of your land you've covered? Just guessing. Cindy - I love ginger! Does ginger ale count? Tongue There's some strong ginger ale that I just love, there's so much ginger in it that it's HOT! Yum! Feeling a little sluggish this week, lots of stuff going on at work, and I think last weekend's bad run took something out of me. Or it's just one of those things - I know everyone's had weeks like that. Just trying to stay hydrated and cruise easily through some more miles. Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hi kids ~ This "work" thing is messing up my running schedule and frankly,it's beginning to piss me off. Spent a 20 hr workday yesterday in Manhattan on an upgrade. Shocked Hang in there Arla, they'll be better weeks comin up for you.Sometimes a slower week is good. Especially when the heat's coming on .Still in the 50's /60's here fortunately. Leslie- as a guy, I'm just wondering about your DHub's veiw of Mr PT?? Hmmmm.Anyway, stay loose(not too loose or turn off your helmet light) Evil grin Jewels- congrats and good job on your audit! Those 5k's sound like fun. Maybe you could get past your Bil in some of them? Sounds like you're close !! Cindy- how are you coming along now ? You with me on Sunday ,or what ? Come on now,we both have reports to write! It was in January that I started thinking about this week. Taper week feels good. As our good friend Jim in Nebraska has said a few times: The hay is in the barn . That is, the training is done,time to lay down your cards and run the race. And after that it will be, as our other dear friend Carol in Texas has said, a new season of running !! Cheers

Top 'O the World!

TGIF Everybody!!! 41* F/45% H 35mph steady winds w/up to 60 mph gusts forecasted Sad busy sorting papers, & packing for the wknd.....I'm still being good!) Blizzard warnings Shocked up in the high country till late afternoon today! Yeppers Joe! If'n all goes well (fingers crossed) I'm on deck w/ya on Sunday Wink albeit @ a much slower pace!! (DD is also "due any minute" but not currently in labor only 90 mins from race location....could be a verrrry busy wknd....) Arla: share! what's the name of your Ginger Ale...& yes, it counts! even airlines keep ginger ale on board for "flight nausea"....'course w/sodas ya gotta consider the sugar count.....jes run another mile! Wink Granddaughter got signed up for the Junior Denver Broncos Cheer Squad this week! Pom-poms & everything! Her 1st 'event' is Sat. am cheering for the runners in the Miles for Miracles 5K, there's also the Irongirl 5K in City Park on Sunday w/some pretty cool swag!!!....mebbe I signed up for the wrong race! Big grin
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys, did speed work wednesday morn starting at 2 am from bed to praying to porcelein gods as Lynda and I picked up a nasty gi bug, me 2 days later than her. Very bad timing but we got through it and still got 80 ac planted wednesday as Lynda ran the rig. She was ready to give the planting duties back thurs until we got rained out again last nite. Run day again today but had heavy snow and wind gusts to 55 this morn.........I bagged it. There is a teeny tiny little 5k in Ogallala tommorow think we should do it??? We are definitely out of the field for tommorow. Joe not the way you wanted to taper but you will do great. Sometimes life happens . We all take our runs seriously but have "real Lives" to carry on also. Wink ps dw likes your av Arla cutback weeks are good also, much better than injury weeks. Wink yep the big screen in the vid is a touchscreen puter showing coverage map in the foreground and seeding rate prescription in the background. Better soils get higher seeding rates. Cindy good luck with your race!! congrats to GD! are you going to do a wave start BB? oh ask your Lodgpole hub if he knows who "snorkle" is? Jewels glad the audit is over, so stressful even when you "do everything right". Leslie cracking up over the buns of titanium. FYI REI has some great deals on Garmin 305's and 405's with hr monitors. Carol any of those destination runs in the winter? Kelly garden veggies are hard to beat. Other than a sweet corn patch in one of our fields we don't have a garden unfortunately. crawled out to the puter wednesday aft, u guys were the best medicine, made me laugh.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie- as a guy, I'm just wondering about your DHub's veiw of Mr PT?? Hmmmm. Anyway, stay loose(not too loose or turn off your helmet light) Evil grin
            I don't tell my deep-seated desires to anyone but you guys. Besides, Hub's a practical guy. He knows I could never juggle two men at one time. Half the time I want to decapitate the one I already have! Big grin (Took me a minute to get the "helmet light" meaning. Smile Proud to report no problems this a.m.) BTW - To you and Cindy - Good luck this weekend! You guys are gonna kick butt and take bib numbers! Farmer Jim - I had to read your first sentence twice. I was like, "Speed work? What's that got to do with prayin' to the porcelain god (which we've all done, unfortunately)? OH!! ugh!!" And - heavy snow and wind gusts of 55 mph?? And this is the first of May! (But I guess I don't have to tell you that . . .) Arla - Definitely agree the sluggishness could be due to the heat. Hang in there. It was a long hard 1.5 hours this a.m. after 2 hours of PT last night. My legs feel like bricks. All I wanted to do was crawl back into bed after my shower. I ate a yogurt as soon as I got home, but stayed a bit nauseated. Hub was up and made me breakfast, but the nausea didn't calm down for awhile. Here's hoping tomorrow's better. After a week, we're getting our car back today. In the end, it'll probably be over $2,000 worth of work. Guess where our refund from the government will be going??? You all have a Fantastic Friday, a great weekend, and GOOD LUCK TO THE RACERS!! (Cindy - keeping my fingers crossed that grandbaby doesn't come until after your run.)

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've perused both the Moab HM and Bryce Canyon HM web sites and both look like great runs through some very pretty country. Weather in March could be an issue with Moab - talkin' snow. Bryce is at a higher elevation (over 7,000), but at that elevation shouldn't be too horribly hot in July (yes? no?) Are you guys serious about figuring out a run mid-country where we can actually meet each other finally? Does anyone know of any others that would be of interest??

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy http://blenheimshrine.com/ That is some SERIOUS ginger ale, lemme tell you, far and away the hottest I've ever had, I'm absolutely addicted. If you get some, be careful, don't breathe in through your nose when your face is close to the glass - the little fizzy bubbles pop and when you get some in your nose it burns like heck! Have fun at your race, keep us posted! Joe - can't wait for your RR, seems you're coming into this one both fast and healthy, good forecast...how sweet is that? Ms. Titanium Buns (that would make a great handle) - that ginger ale would be nice for your nausea, as well. About your PT, well, looking is free Evil grin I would be interested in a get-together run, but man I'm sure it would be impossible to fit everyone's schedule. Seems like all of us have a lot of balls in the air. Had a great run today following a real short and slow one yesterday and paying more attention to hydration over the course of the day. I plan to bring gatorade on my long run this week, I've been bringing nothing and hitting the water fountains, guess with the heat that's just not enough. Anyone else use gatorade or something else? I like the gatorade but the jar of mix is almost gone and I'm game for other suggestions. Arla

Ex runner

I wanted to add to my previous post - Farmer Jim, what's a good time of year for you, since you have a much more seasonal job than the rest of us folks. I agree with Arla that it will probably be impossible to fit everyone's schedules, but if we get some kind of idea of when people are most likely available, that'd be a great start. Arla - I am currently trying a mix of GU2O and maltrodextrin added to water. I was using just the GU, but at full strength, it's too sweet for me. Yuck! After a couple of hours, I'm begging for a glass of regular ole water. Coach Bill gave me a big tub of maltodextrin to try. I've used the combination my last two runs and will try it for the first time on the trails tomorrow. I think it mostly has carbs in it, so you would need to take an electrolyte replacement as well. I use Endurolytes. I have two different scoops I use: one for the GU (which comes in the container) and one for the malto (which is bigger). If you're interested, I can measure out the malto scoop to approximate tablespoons and give you the ratio of both to 16 oz of water.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

http://www.motortabs.com/ somebody back on CR mentioned these awhile back....I still haven't tried them yet...currently test driving Luna mix...& I've diluted Gatorade & some of the others...s'okay
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Short 3 on snow and ice with yak trax and 26 deg. Teeny Tiny race postponed til Sun due to the snowstorm. Stomach still not right but better. Getting excited for our real racers this weekend. On the meet up race don't worry bout us, most of the best ones are late spring early fall and those are the toughest for us, sometimes we can squeeze in a weekend here and there. Or you all could just show up at the Chase County Fair and Expo 5 k and 10k in August. Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey All - 3 hours on the trails today, and I feel pretty good. Had a small bit of nausea at the end, but sucked on a piece of ginger candy and it helped (thanks, Arla and Cindy!). I'm still not eating or drinking enough, which is what is causing the nausea. The legs were pretty tired at the end, but I chalk a lot of that up to the intense PT Thursday, the 1.5 hour run on pavement yesterday, and then today. Well, now it's off to water the yard and then do transcription. Later!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Guys! Heck of a run Leslie, glad you're feeling better.You sure are working hard for that Big 50k coming up!! Jim- Hope you and DW feel better soon,yuk! More snow to boot! Good thing you're tough.Please tell your DW I said "thanks" for the nice pic.I'm saving it for when it's summer and 90* outside! Cindy -here's hoping that your new Grandbaby and your race come out well! And not at the same time!! Arla- feeling better yet? Well, the bib and chip are attached.The weather looks Great tomorrow at 50*,foggy, maybe some drizzle. Big grin Going to be about 10,000 other runners out for my Sunday long run tomorrow, should be alot of fun!!! Cool C ya's

Just a quick good luck to Joe and Cindy! Savor the moments and have fun! Here's to a great race! Will catch up on everyone's posts tomorrow.....Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ultrachick

Good luck Joe & Cindy! I'm back for a minute or two. Life has gone into overdrive! I spent most of the day in the rain watching my son play a couple soccer games. Get this-I live in the Burlington area of VT (the NY side seperated by Lake Champlain) and we had to drive to 2 hours (to the NH side of VT) for my son's soccer team to play another team from the Burlington area because there weren't any fields available here for them to play on. Meanwhile, my other son had a couple lacrosse games this afternoon and no I didn't get back in time to watch. Jack and I were going to go to a trail race in MA tomorrow but with the kids and the rainy weather and I'm really not into it-we're staying home. I've made plans with a girlfriend to go do my long run with her at a an outdoor center that has 20 miles of trails to run, bike or walk on and I'll probably have to bring the kids and their bikes and set them loose and hope I can get my run done without them driving me crazy the whole time. Have a good rest of the weekend and can't wait to read the reports-races, babies and all! Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                GOOD LUCK, JOE AND CINDY!! YOU'RE GONNA DO GREAT!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance