Masters Running

Thu Mar 6 Runs and Workouts (Read 613 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for one hour. After you open the trunk, look to see which one of them is happy to see you.
    Unfortunately, unless getting appropriate professional help, sometimes people born in the Year of the Dog <>spareribs/spareribs)>>> never seem to get over these kind of experiences. Big grinBig grinBig grinBig grin ps -DH told me to say this. Big grinBig grinBig grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

The 'dog is man's best friend' experiment is even funner coming from man who gets PAID for his extraordinary people skills and ability to motivate people to push themselves to their true potential.

Tammy

evanflein

Tselbs, best wishes for you as you deal with some pretty serious family matters. I agree you must be a wonderfully supportive person to have in the family if how you treat us is any indication. Tet!! Oh geez, now I'm going to be climbing the walls for weeks. Argh! (can't believe you dug up that quote from a month ago??) And what's this secret mission from DH? You might have to spill some beans there, taper boy! Competitiveness. Hmmm. Nope, not here. Not a bit. HA! Fat chance there. Part of the joy of this relay was, as Mike, aka, Nighthawk on CR, would put it, was running down "Road Kill"!! The highlight of my race was the four "kills" I managed on the uphill portion of my last leg. The last one was someone I blasted past just before the exchange... so fast that mc wasn't even ready for me! Ha, what a rush. I'm hardly the fastest in the field or even in my AG a lot of times, and I know CNYrunner (and Soundie) would leave me in their dust. But the high I get when I pass someone I've been aiming for is hard to explain. Better than drugs, yessirreee. Whew, ok then... (wiping sweaty palms on her jeans, straightens out shirt hem...) where were we? Oh yes, running... Another gorgeous day here, a little on the cloudy side but that's what makes it so mild temp-wise. After yesterday's intoxicating 9 miler (amazing how easy that HM pace felt), today I'll be good and just do the 5-6 EZ I should do. MC has been handing out the scoldings to those of us on the "relay high" and feeling strong and fast... the message is tone it down and recover, regardless of how much sproink you think you have. Ok...
          Spareribs - might I suggest you take the tire jack and tire iron out of the trunk before this experiment? Wink Soundrunner - I know what you mean about pollen. On my run today, I kept seeing what, at first, looked like yellow paint marks on the trail. After a few minutes I realized the yellow was the pollen that had fallen out of the flowering bits of the trees. The catkins (spelling?) were all over the ground and had a little puddle fo yellow surrounding them. I ended up itchy and splotchy on my wrist and my nose is kinda stuffy. Time to shower off the pollen and take my Claritin! Nice run today. I'm consistently running below 15 mpm now. I even had someone on a bike tell me I was running at a nice pace. Go figure. Tomorrow, I'm getting up at an ungodly hour and meeting a friend at 6:30 am for a run. We're doing 5k run/walk and then I have to race back to the house, shower and be at work by 8:15 AM. It's going to be close, but if I don't run early, I won't get a run in tomorrow. I've got a bunny to catch!
          Have you got a flag?
            Had to sneak in a 4.1 mile run today at work in about 37:47 9:14 pace I think. Tonight is our big open house and there is lots to do before 5Surprised'clock. The theme this year is "Space the Final Frontier" I am part of the staff and we are all dressing as Men in Black. Ya think my black running tights will work Wink Tom , good luck with the family , it seems it all comes at once sometimes. Ribs, Big grin RAs own Power Puff Girls! And humble too! Good runs to everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mari, dear princess, how long at SeaTac? I will email you. Back from the doctor with sick son. Orders to wait another day or two to see if he improves before giving him antibiotics. He has developed a sinus infection. Much better than the bronchitis he developed after last year's brutal flu. I'm still dodging that bullet. Evan, I bet you were always picked first to be on someone's team!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Whoo hoo! I'm in a great mood. DS15 and I drove over to a long road that is not covered with ice and snow (the sun hits it all day long). Coincidentally, we both needed to run 8 miles - me, for a distance PR, and him for an easy run. I told him to bring homework to do while he waited for me to finish! It was 39, breezy, and sunny, and felt wonderful. The last half mile was a little challenging, but I never felt like I had to stop. I enjoyed seeing DS blow by me whenever he passed me! He finished in 58:30, and I finished in 1:30:07. Smile
                  I got a call last night that my only brother was taken to the hospital. I was surprised to be able to reach him directly by phone. When I asked what was wrong he said......in a weak voice...."I can't (pause) catch (pause) my breath (long pause) so (pause) I went (pause) to (pause) the doctor (pause) and he (pause) put me ( pause) here." Today I got through to my niece who informed me that there is blockage to the heart and a leaky valve. He has congestive heart failure going on and they hope to stablize him in order to put in a stent for now and then do by-pass surgery later. He has diabetes, is sedentary in actions, slightly overweight, and basically wound differently than me. Anyway, he has put in a good day today and they hope he will soon be strong enough to get the stent at least put in. The doctor said he is pretty weak right now, since he waited at home for a week before seeing help. I ran a nice 3.08 miles at noon and managed to duck the responsibility of a basketball trip tonight. However that does not give me an evening off as I will be doing some of the work by listening to the broadcast and then using instant messenger to communicate to the announcers. Let me take another attempt at explaining my comments on the four ladies......Soundie, Erika, Holly, and NYRunner having a race: You all are different but there is a competitive edge in different ways to each of you when running. With Soundie, the little encounter where you vowed to beat that guy next time who has drafted and then nipped you, shows your competitive side. As you said, the newness of racing perhaps aids in this desire to pass those in front of you. Your competitive side comes and goes. With Erika, you have already stated, "yea, let's get it on". You LIKE to compete. That is your nature and your "carrot". It is one of the things that keeps you running. No argument there in saying you are competitive. You even wanted to neutralize the possible disadvantage of running on a track, just to make sure things were in your favor. Holly, your competitiveness might not be so much against 'others' as much as within yourself. The alternate word that could be used for you instead of compete is "strive". You find yourself never satisified with what you have done. The training just goes on and on. It is an unending desire within yourself to excell. You want to strive for perfection. This is your area of the competitive nature. With NYRunner, your acknowledgement of once being competitive but now enjoying a stage of not needing to "win" every time in order to be happy, shows who you are now as a runner. The edge however is still there and never quite leaves, but by choice you have set your focus on other goals than simply beating the field. That goal was true at a previous stage, but is not your objective now. All four of you are wonderful runners. You are all very capable athletes who are "wired" slightly different but who have utilized your talents, abilities, and personalities to become the runners that you are. You still share in a competitive nature that would ignite if you were all together for this one event. There are other very capable and dedicated lady runners on this board. Mileage wise, Mariposia is up over 314 miles already for the year. Somehow I don't think of her as "competitive". There are others who are good consistent runners at various stages and perhaps some of them could actually be added. Aamos, Arf, Enkephalin, Hopeful, Ilene, Jemmama, LaVitaDolce, Mtnchk1, Predawnrunner, RunninginDC, Teresadfp, Wildchild to mention a few. Anyway, it is all fun to think about. Thank EACH one of you for being you.
                  Vista
                  btb1490

SueT- BOO! hehehe dtoce- to and from work again? Geez, be careful. Twocat- happy belated birthday! Have fun tonight! Great run today, that was a tough one! Don't be jealous of my times. That's why I don't often post them. I'm jealous of the miles that you are able to run! Jlynne- boy, it must be bad by you if you're looking forward to 30* weather! Thank you very much for the kind words! Smile perchcreek- sorry about the back! Sitting in a van for that long maybe caused it? Hope it gets better soon. Holly- nice post! Great workout and it's good to hear you are starting to feel better with your runs. Dave- sounds like rest is best. soundrunner- welcome to springtime. Sad I'm having luck using a saline rinse. Mariposai- safe travels to you. enkephalin- no worries over the lost miles. It takes a smart person to know when to say when, instead of listening to the schedule. I hope the doctor at least gave you the antibiotic prescription for your son just in case, so you don't have to make another trip back. Better yet, hopefully he won't need them at all. CNY- floating footsteps. I like that. Enjoy the rest of your stay. TomS- I'm glad thing seem to be going better for your in-laws. Talk about a double whammy. Good vibes heading their way and yours. fbgrrl- I take it you aren't a morning person? Wink Let us know how it goes tomorrow. halllar- a open house report and pictures are due here tomorrow first thing! Teresa- you keep wracking up those milestones! Congrats! Vista- ohhh, I'm sorry to hear about your brother! I really hope he rebounds! How far away does he live from you? Let us know how the surgery works out, I'll bet it helps a lot. Good thoughts are heading his way. I just checked the weather forecast for the race I'm planning on doing this Saturday.... 2-3 inches of rain with heavy wind. Break out the oars. I hope everyone has a great evening! Smile
                    TammyinGP

Hi Cootieboy Tongue Joey - sorry to read of the health issues your brother is having. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. no run for me today. Day two of rest. But I have a four day wknd starting tomorrow, so plan on extra doses of running and exercise.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

btb - I had to smile, thinking of you running with oars at your wet race on Saturday! You should get some pointers from Soundrunner, who has had some folks ask if her rowing crosstraining was done on the trails... Vista, glad your brother is getting the help he needs. Too bad he waited a week. It's always hard to second-guess when you'll get better on your own and when you should go to the doc. I enjoyed your interesting thoughts on competitiveness. You glean a lot about people from reading their posts! I'm somewhat competitive with myself, but not with others. I haven't done many races, because I'm not fast and I don't like crowds. However, I'd LOVE to get together for a fun run with some other RA Boomers, just to run casually together and share our enjoyment of running. Teresa, good job on the 8 miler. Your DS isn't emarrassed to be seen running with his mother??? My DD tries to pretend she doesn't know me when we go to the rec center together. Doesn't work very well, because anyone who knows one of us, knows both of us.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

pfriese

Afternoon all, Treadmill day for me. 6 miles at 9:48/mile pace Paul
                            Feeling better again today but no news yet on my medical test (getting anxious). 50cm's of snow on it's way from tomorrow night until Sunday...ugh That's a foot and a half again after we just got a foot and a half two days ago...And I have two driveways to do while my lady friend is away and my shovel collapsed under the weight of the last snow fall. I need to get a new one! Hopefully they have some left. Taking things easy here, although work and legal documents are still taking precedence, plus a meeting tomorrow with the mediator on the children (lawyer recommended)...Might need a tranquilizer before or after this meeting (-: Vista, hope your brother is going to be okay...and the stent surgery goes well. Keep us posted. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

seemomgo

Wildchild - there is a half marathon on April 6 starting in Littleton and ending at the Buckhorn Exchange. Come run with me!!! I'm not fast, I'm not competitive - heck I didn't even rate on the post about all you great women runners, but I am fun! I have been working with my college friend to get her ready for this mileage. I would love to get under 2:00, but reality tells me I am going to have to settle for 2:10ish. Platte River Half - if you are interested! Tall - good luck tomorrow. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out. btb - your rainy running forecast reminds me of last year's Denver Marathon. Wet wet wet! The good news is I invested in a really great rain jacket for running!!!Good excuse to buy some new running stuff if you ask me!
                                home (with detour) in 2:13...ran to and from my main office/hospital today-much easier running in the light of day. 16 miles in the pm total for the day=31 miles a new PR for me Have a good evening people!