Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.9.14 (Read 30 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Aamos - have you done the Flying Pig?

I have not!  Brilliant idea--and this is close to you, yes?

um twocat....swiss chard!  brussel sprouts!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Absolutely!  Only 45-50 minutes south of my house.  You could stay here and I would drive you down!  And run it too, if you wouldn't mind waiting around an hour at the finish for me.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hiya!

Well, Coco seems happier with the additionof the second box.  And amazingly, both she and C-line are learning to eat treats on the bed.  Going to get a plastic tablecloth today, just in case.  Thanks again, everyone; really 'preciate the concern.

Anyone thinking of doing Grandma's in June?  I had a good time this year and don't think I want to wait 10 years to do it again!

Or anyone with any recommendations for a June marathon?  or May?  I'm looking at the Pineland Trail Running Festival (Pineland Trail, May 2015) and wondering if Kevin and Karin can explain the totally mud-encrusted shoe used as an icon?

Here's a description from the website:

"Participants in the 50km race will complete 2 laps of the 25km course. The race course is a 25 kilometer off-road roller coaster on well-maintained XC trails that twist, turn, and roll their way through forests and across pastoral, working farmland. The trails are level, wide (12 inches), and non-technical with no roots or rocks, but very hilly. Although there are no major climbs the rolling terrain Is unrelenting. The surface of the trails is mainly grass and dirt sprinkled with pine needles, pine cones, twigs, and small stones. From time to time runners will be directed off the main trail system and into fields. In the fields the course will follow a path cut by local farmers using their haying equipment. The grass is rough and can vary in height in different places. Some of the cut grass may still be on the path making running more difficult. There are no stream crossings on the course per-se, however, the grass in the fields can be very wet in the morning, and there may be wet and muddy spots if it rains just before the race. The paths in the fields are often not level, tilting severely in all directions. Trail running shoes are not necessary, but they are recommended."

I even own a pair of infrequently used trail running shoes.  And I could run a 5 or 10K the day before.

What do you think, anyone else interested?

So today we had a beautiful moon before sunrise.  O well, enjoyed it in its near fullness, and the splendid sunrise....able to do so as I just ran 3 easy ones and did a bagel run, walking home from the Bagel Factory.  Got roadtrip food for the Keys.  Last night had a good last fast run (tapering!) at Fit2Run: 5 miles, a 5K with a warm up and cool down and the whole 5 miles was under 40 minutes.  Of course, it was cooler than it's going to be Saturday......where I'll just embrace the heat.  and humidity.  After all, I did sign up all by my ownself!

Greta Thursdays, all.  Looking forward to greeting you from the "Carson McCullers" room where we're staying tomorrow night.

grins,

A

Since it's only a 50K, I am sure Holly will be on board for this.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Looking at Maine options, though, I am a bit more intrigued by Sugarloaf, Maine Coast. Bay of Fundy or Mount Desert, all of which claim to be extremely lovely courses.  Unfortunately, none of them have 50K options.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Looking at Maine options, though, I am a bit more intrigued by Sugarloaf, Maine Coast. Bay of Fundy or Mount Desert, all of which claim to be extremely lovely courses.  Unfortunately, none of them have 50K options.....

I can vouch for Bay of Fundy.  The course and the surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous.  It's a relentlessly hilly course, although any of you more well trained folks may not find it as painful as I did.  There were a few people that BQed when I did it.  It also has the lure of doing a dual country race.  On the down side, it's a LONG way from just about anywhere--6 hours from Boston, 4 from Portland.  Lots of Maniacs and 50 staters were there, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.