Masters Running

Monkey Sunday Thread 11/24 (Read 45 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet - woot!  Good job on 1st AG!

Norm - that's pretty fast for the Monkey, especially after a fast 5k yesterday!   The Monkey remains my marathon PR, even after 10 marathons.  I attribute that to the small hills and low altitude, and that it's the only marathon I've done on pavement so far.

If I ran the Monkey this year, I would have passed the 2000 mile mark today.  I remember Holly did that at last year's Monkey!  But as it is, I only ran 10 miles today, so I'll hit 2000 tomorrow or Tuesday.

I loved MS's description of her virtual self, too.  My virtual self always has both  feet off the ground when racing!  (In real life I contact the ground once in a while...)

I signed up for a fat ass 26 mile group run next weekend - should be a good way to meet other crazy ultra runners in my area.  The fat ass is like a race (registration is through ultrasignup.com) but it's free, and is more of a group run, and there are no course markings or aid stations.  We're supposed to bring maps and be familiar with the course. Today I went and previewed part of the course I'm not familiar with, and it was tough!  It included a climb up Mt Morrison, gaining 1200 ft in a mile!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Just a little late in getting to look at the computer.

out for 8 miles this morning with about the same value in temperature and wind speed--25.  Made it a bit nippy.  also caused a little problem in that I apparently had my class ring come off when I took off my gloves once I warmed up and get a little bit out of the wind.  didn't realize it until I got home and looked at my ring finger.  I then spent another couple of hours and 5 miles retracing my route.  Without any luck--it would have been pure blind luck with all the leaves on the ground.

My only hope is that someone will come across it and it does have my name engraved.  And something that you didn't think about 25 years ago, my SS number.  hope who ever finds it is honest.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I signed up for a fat ass 26 mile group run next weekend

. . . \

It included a climb up Mt Morrison, gaining 1200 ft in a mile!

Thanks wildone.

I never heard of havin' a F/A much before the holidays but,

as long as it's snowing and the trail is icy, maybe dark, it'll be a F/A for sure.

Have fun. .

Stumps - maybe you better take the morning off and walk back-and-forth until you find it.  At least it didn't have your credit cards and bank accounts!

ps - knowing how wim..., sensible TC is about running in inclement weather, especially this time of year, put me in the surprised column too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Still good enough for .first AG out of two this time. no wonder I love gettingo ld running so much.

Taperboy, way to go with your AG!!!!

My dream of running 5 miles today was derailed because my friend, who helped me come up with a plan B route for the HM wanted to run with me and at her 14 minute mile pace we were able to cover only 2.5 miles before the cold sent us back to the car. Wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

we were able to cover only 2.5 miles before the cold sent us back to the car. Wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks posie. I hope everyone else survived their racing today as well as CR did.  The Monkey is very good to boomers.

/

Maybe one of these years you can have an Orchard 2-mile option to get even more local participation, especially if there is wine tasting.

However, with it being so cold, isn't there any nearby skiing or ice skating?  EArly season freezes used to provide the glassiest, smoothest lake ice for 50-60 foot glides. I hope so.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)