Masters Running

Tuesday Daily, 9.25.12 (Read 348 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Spectacular photo of breathtaking scenery, Mariposai!

Rochrunner, when we tell most people that we live near the coast in NH, they tell us that there is no coast in NH. Well, there is a coastline, just not much of one: There are only 18 miles of coastline in NH, but we love every inch of it. And, yes, we need those tourist toll dollars to help keep the roads in good shape, and the coastline (and other areas) clean and purty so everyone can enjoy their visits to NH. At least the state put in high-speed E-Z pass lanes at the tolls so you don't have to slow down while you are giving us your money!

I woke at 1:07 this morning, and I don't think I ever got back to sleep. We have a conservation commission meeting tonight, and I was thinking about one property we'll be discussing where there are problems with approved plans not being followed by the contractor/previous owner, and drainage easement deed restrictions that have been ignored (at best) or willfully violated (at worst). It's not going to be a fun meeting. I tried to get some sleep/rest until about 3:45, when I gave up, got up, and headed out for a workout. It was 44F, clear, and dry. The moon, which had been high in the sky while I was grilling last night, had already set. So except for streetlights and random ambient lights from houses, it was pretty dang dark! So when there was no traffic (which, thankfully, is most of the time at that hour), I stayed in the middle of the road where I could follow the center line and not have to worry about walking into branches, trash cans, skunks... I only went a couple of tenths over 4 miles (3 racewalking, 1+ running), but that was enough for today.

Enjoy your day, and STAY AWAKE (Jay, are you listening...?)

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sorry you had a restless night Jay, and good luck with your meeting. It sounds like you've done your homework and are going in well prepared.

Hi Dg! So great to see your post yesterday. Do that more often, okay?

Sorry about the small font size yesterday. I posted from work and don't know why that happened.

5 miles on the eliptical this morning, 4 miles on the bike and 45 minutes of weights. I had a restless night as well. Stayed up and watched Monday Night Football. I don't care if you follow the NFL, and I know this is a running forum. But I have to get in my rant to say that was the worst job of officiating a professional game I've ever seen in my life. Those refs literally stole the game from the Packers. No way in hell that Tate had possession of the ball on that final Hail Mary pass. I have to give huge credit to Coach McCarthey for keeping his cool in the  press room after the game. Okay, I'm done. Well - maybe not but I'll go complain to DH. He's madder than I am Angry

..ok jay//...........we're going to have to have you Hypnotized so you can get some sleep

luckily

I have just the link to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46LUyJ0WlNA&feature=related

you can

thank me later

=========

........meself, slept TOO well this morning

but

managed to get 24min poolrun in

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Jay, I wish you good luck. You are one dedicated citizen. BTW, my DH and I really enjoyed playing on your "coast" when we were there a few years back.

DG, yes!!! it was such a delight to see you posting here. How was your berries crop this year?

Hemeracolous, how was the garden season? I planted a few asters and mums last weekend and I was thinking of that gorgeous picture of  your garden you posted last year.

Holly and Erika, your Equinox report is fabulous!!!. I sure wish I was there with you girls! Did you had a girl's only slumber party? 

I feel like I am in  a funk  about my running. Not sure what is going on. Maybe the low air quality (yes it is still there, but not as bad as other places) so most of my runs are being done at the gym. Last night I endured one hour on the elliptical's torture chamber....twocat, how can do it every other day and still survive Dead. What is your secret? Tonight will be 6 miles on the TM.

Rochrunner, that picture was taken on the Mapple Loop Pass trail in the North Cascades Mt. (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/seasonal-hikes/hikes-of-the-week/maple-pass-loop). The heart of the Cascades is only 75 miles from us, so this mountain ranges are our backyard playground. You and Miss Rochrunner are welcome to come to visit us and we will take you there. Great places to bike, hike, camp, swim, fish. Ohh and this invite goes to anyone here Joking.

Just for the fun of it, here is another picture (last one from this trip, unless you beg for more Smile.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Posai - love your end quote

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideway, ribs in one hand, wine in the other hand, body thoroughly warn out and screaming “Woo Hoo” what a ride! Anonymous

I was like Jay, up at 3:45, but chose the option of going back to sleep - too long, so i had to bike to work with no coffee and late - not a good way to start the day.

hopefully a short RAW before services. had planned to RAL but a meeting is getting in the way.  38 years ago my DS was born - we're celebrating on friday.

happy runs, walks, ((injured ones) and recovery days to all,

marj

MTA  (((those dealing with dumb refs)))

King of PhotoShop

4.5 with a half mile hard, now off to N. Carolina.  See you end of week.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The International Date Line once helped with a 42.195k/26.2mi daily double in Tokyo/Seattle and I did a triple with Vivian in 2005 (5k/13.1k/5k) but I’d never done a Quadzilla until this weekend with 3-yo GS (and me) loving so many of the exhibits.
                ・Thursday - Seattle Center (dinosaurs)
                ・Friday - Northwest Trek Wildlife Park (moose/cougar/beaver/wolverine/wolves)
                ・Saturday - Woodland Park Zoo (jaguar/snow leopard/crocodiles/bellowing hippopottamuses)
                ・Sunday - Seattle Aquarium (octopus/halibut/sea otters)
                Not only that but, when DD and DH got tickets to a certain Monday Night football game, got to do another kind of Quadzilla experiencing four different area playgrounds in one day, including splashing around in the lake where he proved to be fearless in venturing out over his head (but not over mine) in a little plastic life ring chasing and feeding ducks, etc. Glad Rhoon wasn’t at the Wildlife Park though when we saw a member of the world’s biggest deer family (7'). The smallest (1.5' from southern Chile) was at the zoo. 
                Maybe sparebones can use for more trivia but, though, the jaguar and snow leopards are extremely powerful felines, the local cougar is the highest jumper straight up (20') and straight down (60'!!!! out of the top of a tree on premises).

secret ps to Jeanne -
                so very sorry about the officiating calls at last night’s Monday Night Football game, especially the last one.  Although Golden Tate would have had it on his own without Jennings having it first, it seems that the “equal” in the “equal-possession” rule in football has the same lack of credibility as “equal-justice-under-the-law” does sometimes. 
                With eight sacks in Seattle of your great quarterback in the first half, we would have been proud of the Seahawks and their league-leading Monday Night Football standings (17-8) anyway no matter what.  However, now that it is in our favor, it’ll be hard to complain anymore about bad officiating costing the Seahawks Superbowl XL.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!   You awake, Jay?  Any time to fit in a nap before your evening meeting?

Beautiful pictures, Mariposai.  I'd love to hike there with you!  Bummer about the poor air quality, and I agree that the elliptical is torture. Hang in there!

I had a great 4-day weekend up in Wyoming, camping and rock climbing.  But I didn't get much running in - only 2 miles on Sunday afternoon as we were leaving for home.  I got a head start up the dirt road with the dogs, but DH caught up to me quickly in the truck so 2 miles is all I fit in.  The weather was perfect, and the aspen were at peak color, and the climbing was hard!  

Yesterday morning I set my alarm for 5am to go running before work, but I was so tired from the weekend that I gave up on that idea and went back to sleep for an hour.  I fit in 5 miles after work on a beautiful afternoon, though, so it's all good.  I did get up at 5 am today and ran 5 sproinky miles.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Jlynne - I'm with you on the rant. I'm a Seahawks fan but that was awful officiating. And not just that one call, although since that cost them the game it was pretty significant. There were bad calls all wknd in NFL. The college officials do a better job at officiating.

no run last night, but did go for a walk. Started feeling a bit of tightness in the quads yesterday afternoon, probably from sitting too much, but the walk must have helped because I feel fine today. Will get in a short run after work today.

Tammy

Dave59

I'd like to feel sorry for the Packers but I am still not over the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals when Dallas won in game 6 with an illegal goal.  Joking  Named by Sports Illustrated as one of the top "no calls" in sports history (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0805/biggest.no.calls/content.3.html)

I've been running, working out at the gym, fighting head lice, enjoying the race reports & pictures, and trying to keep up with work.  Today was a gym day with some weights and some time on the Cybex ARC trainer (which I learned yesterday is not the same as an elliptical.)

fighting head lice,

Hopefully not your own???

I did not run, my calf was tight this morning and I am being cautious, of course I might sneak out at dinner time...

Last week DH hiked more miles than I ran, I am not going to let that happen again!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo

Do you know what I love about fall?...I mean Other than the cool crisp mornings, the beautiful fall colors, the IRC, Cross Country race season, football season, huge and gorgeous Mums in full bloom, season ending bon fires, hay rides, all the fresh produce people bring to work from thier gardens, kids back in school, a plethora of local 5k's, the smells of the corn and bean harvest, the sounds of leaves crunching under your feet.

Biting into that locally grown apple...freshly polished of your own sholder.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hi DG!!

Tired, tired run at the track this morning. Cutdown workout, my coach called it. If you're really interested in the details (hi Opie!), you read about them here. Otherwise, suffice it to say, I'm quite looking forward to the mandatory day off tomorrow due to Yom Kippur... fasting and all....

somebody who? elliptical what is elliptical . . . brain gone . . . gone . . . Joking  <=== actual photo of Twocat.

tetsujin209 deer I no longer care what kind . . . I want them gone.  A total unmitigated disaster here.  No predators means bad for them, bad for us.  Still I bet the ones you saw were cute.

enkephalin careful!

Slo_Hand fall short for Freezing Ahead Life Leaving.  Well that was the best I could do on a moments notice.  I love summer.  Fall, eh.  Spring, better since it ends in summer.  Winter . . . ugh!!!

After running 10 on Sunday my ankle woke up sore and stiff on Monday.  A lot better than post-relay race last week but clearly not 100%.  So, I figured that meant another week off was better than risking lining up in Amsterdam only to have to DNF the race.  No running for me until Saturday.  I will say though my ankle felt fine when I woke up this morning so perhaps it is very close to being totally healed.  Since I am now officially registered for Boston my Amsterdam time does not have to be particularly fast.  I will just live with what I can do and be happy if I line up healthy.

Cooking:  I figured cooking might be a more interesting topic given my non-running.  I have two new recipes on my Allrecipes web page I thought people here might like.  Neither is mine.  One is for slow cooker posole.  This stuff is wonderful and takes just about no effort and I really mean it!  Fry up some cubed pork, dump ingredients into a slow cooker and 7 hours later enjoy!  The other recipe is for roasted sweet potato fries where the twist is topping them with orange zest prior to baking.  Unbelievably good!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

rhoon, great pictures of the fall colors from your plane.  Jay, good job in your 4 mile race with 2nd racewalker.  mari, fantastic mountain pictures.  opie, congrats on hitting 1000 miles for the year.  Tammy, way to go, toughing out the half.  dg, it's great to have a post from you and hear about your comeback with 7.5 mile, hilly, run.

Nice long runs for lame and evan.

This morning, it was about 50° and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS