Masters Running

Saturday, January 24 Runs (Read 418 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Munch, that's a good long walk! I did a pretty sproinky barefoot 3 miles at the indoor track with DD this afternoon. 9:35, 9:20, 9:10. This was a couple hours after 7 miles outside in the snow and on major hills, so I was happy with it. Last weekend it was the same - 7 slow miles outside, followed by 3 fast on the track. Don't know why I feel so much better on the track after 7 miles earlier in the day than when I'm fresh. DD's running well, too. She finished her C25K and is now running a 5K prep program that has her running 5x per week instead of just 3. And wonder of wonders, DH has started running a little! He was working in California last week, and found that even walking fast didn't raise his heart rate very much, being at sea level, so he went out and bought running shoes and started running! He's kept it up since he got home, although at this altitude and with our hills (well, mountains) he mixes in walking. Yay - we're a running family! Although not all together yet... I have to try not to push too much, just let them take their own time.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hooray for your family, Carolyn! That's great! It's fun when neighbors comment that they see our entire family running! I never would have predicted that 5 years ago! Good luck looking at engineering schools! What kind of engineering is your daughter interested in? She might think about the University of Texas - it's highly ranked in quite a few branches of engineering, and Austin is a fabulous town. On the College Confidential website, several parents posted trip reports for UT. They were all positive. A couple of people said they had thought of UT as a safety school, but once they visited, they were thinking about it as their first choice. What is CU like? My dad got his engineering PhD there, but that was in the early 60s. DS thinks he's interested in biomedical engineering or medicine, but who knows?? He's always been fascinated with the human body, so we'll see! Academics definitely come first, with affordability a close second! From my experience, and talking to college professors, I think undergrad is not NEARLY as important as grad school. A biology professor at Bowdoin told me she thought kids should just get a basic undergrad education, and then shoot for a highly-ranked graduate program. I'm going to have to practice deep breathing for the next year or so, I think. I never thought I would be the uptight, hovering parent, but I am. Sad
      evanflein

Hey Munch, how long does it take you to do a 10 mile walk? Just curious. I know you walk a LOT, but I didn't know if you race walk (like CoastWalker) or "just" walk a brisk pace. Great news on the no pain. Carolyn, congrats also to your daughter on her running. Sounds like she's doing really well. So many people complete something like the C25k and just stop. Nice to see she's keeping on. Teresa, my son is starting to think of college stuff, too. He's a junior and is interested in computers and art... he'd love to be a graphic designer for some software company like Blizzard. He'd do well at it, too... but getting through all those engineering classes will require some discipline!