Masters Running

Manchester Road Race RR (Read 202 times)

Just the facts...but first things first - Joan Benoit Samuelson still has it. She ran it and placed first in her age group. Ok. My RR now. - 45 degrees, partly cloudy. Perfect running weather - over 12,000 runners! My largest race yet - Ran with two stronger runners. One is 56 years old but you would never guess it. On the right on my picture finishing the Hartford Womens Tri. - Had to dodge the crowd and weaved in and out trying to keep up with 'crazy legs' (my new running/tri partner) - Somehow managed to keep up with both of them and posed for pics at the top of the hill with her husband - 4.75 miles. Finished in 47 minutes which is awesome for me considering the huge crowd, long hill and hamstring pain. Finished strong and hand in hand with my new running friends. - 5000th place overall. Never thought I would be happy with 5000th place but out of 12,000 runners thats not bad. - My new significant other was there to support me. - Met a crowd at crazy leg's house for mimosa's and pastries afterwards. Awesome race. Lots of bands, costumes, one running in a only an athletic supporter. Will run this one hopefully for many years to come. Now I take a few days off to let the hamstrings heal and get ready for the Jolly Jaunt with speedster CNYRunner. Cant wait. Laurie ps. I have never yelled at a fellow racer before but I had to yesterday. A teenaged girl had pulled over near the end and was on the side of the road puking. Then this huge 20 something year old man barreled into her while she was sick. I couldnt let that one pass so I gave him a piece of my mind.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

huskydon

Nice job! Exactly 5000th place? Seems like you should get a prize for that! Sounds like a fun race, with a great festive atmosphere. Thanks for the RR!
      coastwalker

Hi Laurie, The Manchester Road Race is always a treat to run; it's a huge celebration with a race going on in the middle of it! It sounds like you had a great time, which is the thing to do in Manchester. As you found out, the first mile or so is usually pretty slow, with a lot of lateral movement as well as forward movement, unless you are one of the elites who gets to line up in the front. Still, you did very well, given the crowds and your sore hamstring, and taking time out for pictures at the crest of the hill. Isn't it amazing that 4,999 runners can finish in front of you, and you can still be in the top half of the race! Too bad about the fellow who couldn't manage to run around the girl getting sick by the side of the road. I hope he at least stopped to apologize to her. I'm glad you had a good race, and that you and your friends enjoyed all the fun and excitement that Manchester has to offer on Thanksgiving morning. Topping it off with mimosas and pastries with friends isn't too shabby either... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice race, flyin. It sounds like you had a good time other than the jerk who ran into the sick girl. TomS
          Henrun

Hi Laurie, we were there also - wish we had known! Glad you had such a good time. The costumes and bands were awesome and it was a thoroughly enjoyable race that I started running around mile 2 and Henrun around mile 3. My net time was around the same as yours 47+ with Henry some minutes later. We went from there to Brooklyn for Thanksgiving, the traditional Brooklyn Bridge run, followed by lots of walking in NYC on Friday and Saturday. Marj
              congrats on a fine race.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                henrun, good time. What do you mean by started running around mile 2? Were you walking up to that? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Henrun

Thanks. We were weaving in and out and mostly walking or jogging until the crowds cleared.

Marathon Maniac #957

Laurie - great fun! The race, and the report - nice job! And kudos for you for standing up for that poor girl - seems like so many of the young people today have no manners whatsoever. Of course, I think the older generation has been saying that since the dawn of time.... Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."