Masters Running

Wednesday, October 8 Blood Moon Runs and Workouts (Read 35 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm jealous of all of you who saw the eclipse - clouds and light rain this morning.  Last night the moon was glorious.

same here in the PNW, rats.

Speaking of rats, the neighbor’s cat has the run of the neighborhood, . . . and always takes everyone’s mice back to their house!  Do you have a fenced area to let ‘em roam around outside for their territorial imperative?
    Maybe because we never see them that much in rain country, I love full moons but, except for Stumps’ post, never heard a thing about this month’s eclipse.  Apparently, there’s a 54% solar eclipse in two weeks on Thursday afternoon, October 23.

Posie - that’s just like the steady five mile climb at the 11-mile Cutthroat Classic I ran in August 2007 up to the alpine ridges for a screaming descent down the other side that was as close to ski racing as I’ve experienced without it being real.  I could get addicted to that.  Hope the Cutthroat Trail didn’t get burned out in all the forest fires over there this summer.

I'm more jealous of Dave's 17 days with Annabelle, especially if it was twice as good as our eight days with our GS this summer. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hey y'all, thanks so much for caring about my kitty issue.  I copied that article, Erika, and ran out on my lunch to get another box and install it at home.  While I am scrupulous about cleaning after them, there was only one box.  Doh, I should know better.  I had two in Rapid when I had two cats.  Will do more later tonight.  Also read that cats don't pee where they eat, so I think I'll sstart giving them their treats on the bed now and again.  And definitely will be getting a plastic tablecloth in case the above doesn't work!

Really, thanks again.

No advice from twocat??

And Leslie, raise your rates!

OK, now, gang, would it be ok to give Holly a suggested deadline to pick her 50th bash race so we can make the best laid plans possible???

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Got the most interesting email today from a lady in CA who follows my Dallas Morning News blog.  She is looking for anyone who has a finisher's medal from Boston 1983.  Apparently, they ran out of medals that year and she has an old friend or relative, now aged 70, finished but didn't get a medal.  So my correspondent is looking to buy one from anybody and give it to her. What a sweet gesture.

Greg Meyer and Joan Benoit won that year. Meyer ran a 2:09 flat.

Ribs - I'm keeping this medal.  I'm sure she can find one elsewhere.  In fact, I rested before the marathon at a house in Hopkington right near Greg Meyer.   That's when the elites mingled with the peons.

Ran just over 4 miles on the local reservoir and it was almost back to pre AT state.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Today’s edition is like the local newspaper’s “photos-of-the-year” (or 30 years) with the Cutthroat Trail area lookin’ just like it did in 2007 (and the gorgeous models too) along with a precious Boston Marathon finisher’s medal from those days when you could recognize and commune with the top contenders who’d gladly sign your shirts, etc.  However, there should be a fine for mentioning grandkids without accompanying photos. <<<(Dave/Annabelle)>>>
          In the meantime, here’s an e-mailed training tip about sleep for Saturday’s 5K      
          little did I know, . . and little do they know some of my best races 
          have been after driving all night to get there.

Pre-Race Challenge -
          Catch your Z's!
          Many of us think we're getting enough sleep but we're not.
          Chronic sleep deprivation does more than make us tired,
          it affects hormone function as well as glucose tolerance and insulin resistance.
          The lack of sleep that's routinely endured has been conclusively linked
          to diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, and obesity.
          Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep every night this week.

Create an environment that is just for sleeping.
          Use soft lighting, comfortable bedding,
          and turn the clock away from your view.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Twocat does not actually own a cat and is in no position to give advice on how to stop one from using the bed as a litter box.  At least I have not had a cat for the past decade plus.  To tell the truth, I wish I did.  I miss having them around.  But my DW will not let me get one.  For those that do not know, my alias is a tribute to a cat my friend owned.  She named her cats in Chinese One Cat, Two Cat, etc.  I picked the second one.  A little kitty that is, alas, long since deceased after a long happy kitty life.

I would post about running or something but all I did was get on the elliptical.  Mariposai I wonder if miles make it possible to travel from WA to GA?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner

Greetings. No eclipse viewing here either; we had a monsoon this morning. i swam instead of running, 1500 yds.  I had hoped to run later in the day after it cleared off, but I got too busy at work.

Karin I hope everything is ok in your neck of the woods.no damage here, but lots of wind and rain for a bit. The moon was very nice  this evening.

Mari, I hope your sleep tonight is better. I feel your pain. I just joined a womens XC team called "Hot Flashes."  I have a couple of friends on the team. Sure hope I am not the slowpoke. I have not had a clock on me for a while, but I miss the social parts of this sport...

aamos, sorry about your cats.  Very annoying. There are sprays to discourage the cats, which sometimes work..

Henrun, I have some of those little Boston medals! Brings back memories...

Tammy, I wish I could have run that 5k in Minnesoooota with you, but it was a chilly day on Saturday!  I am glad you brought sweaters.

I agree that the moon was beautiful last night. We saw it on the hour drive home from the show in Sioux Falls. We both enjoyed NICE WORK a 1920's musical. The dancing was my favorite part, and the singing was superb. The live shows are always good and we are looking forward to the next 5 of the series. Our local performing arts center always puts on entertaining shows with local casts in addition to the top-notch performers that they bring in several times a year. The Eagles Remembered is one I want to attend.

i set the alarm for 4:30 but decided not to get up to watch the eclipse.  I did see it being just before dawn and it looked cool then. I ran a slow 5 miles around the lake trying to keep my heart rate at 65% or less and still made it in less than an hours time. That pain in my upper side won't go away completely so am taking it easy. We took the speedboat out of the water tonight and I hit a rock pile and did major damage to the prop. I fessed up and MrStarr didn't get upset or anything. I love the changes that sobriety has made in our lives-- honesty, forgiveness and peace.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I just joined a womens XC team called "Hot Flashes."  I have a couple of friends on the team. Sure hope I am not the slowpoke. I have not had a clock on me for a while, but I miss the social parts of this sport...

We loved having the "Hot Flashes" at the WMDP XC Festival this past Sunday and they whooped us all in the masters and seniors category! Cool! I assume you'll be at Mayor's Cup then and at New Englands in Franklin Park? Fun stuff and such awesome women---so friendly as they flew past me last weekend. By the way, I am running MCM....have to get that Ironrunner jacket from USATF (might as well since I've run all the other races).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

By the way, I am running MCM....have to get that Ironrunner jacket from USATF (might as well since I've run all the other races).

Congratulations IronKarin.
                    With an Iron-granny and so many Iron friends,
                    it’s about time but we’ve known it all the time.
                    Is the MCM the final qualifier?
                    Is this your first IR?
                    ps - be nice to lamerunner.

pps - Starr’s musicals sound like the variety shows they used to have in the days before our town got tv in late fifties, evenings only but featuring Ed Sullivan, Paladin, Perry Mason, Rawhide, Honeymooners,  etc. all in black-and-white with no remotes.

Mariposai

Mari, I hope your sleep tonight is better. I feel your pain. I just joined a womens XC team called "Hot Flashes."  I have a couple of friends on the team. Sure hope I am not the slowpoke. I have not had a clock on me for a while, but I miss the social parts of this sport...

Hot Flashes, love it!!!

Count me as an honorarium member for the next 10 years.

Our house guests and us took a lovely moon walk tonight. It was splendid.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard