Masters Running

Thursday, 21 January, 2016 (Read 36 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Tom - vision is far more important, so not running in winter is a small sacrifice for being able to see and preventing glaucoma.  After I broke my rib, I wasn't allowed to run for 3 weeks but could walk and I did - close to 5 miles a day - not race walk like Jay, but enough to keep my head on straight,  Will you be able to walk?

Good luck to those in the VA/MD/DC area - hope you don't lose electricity!  Anyone heard from Tramps?

marj

Agree!  Hey TomSelby!  Hang in there! You are going to come through this in fine form. Be creative and post your cross-training.

Being in the VA area... we are expecting a few inches of snow and an inch of ice!  Our neighbor is an electrician and a generator installer... we don't have a generator but, Steve always tells us to "plug your extension cord into the shed." I love my neighbors.

Tramps is north and west of us and in between lilmissrosie and us. He will get the snow but not the ice, I hope!  Lilmissrosie and the mister will be bearing the brunt of the storm, they are very close to DC. And DS1 is in Blacksburg. Expecting over a foot of snow. Virginia Tech already canceled classes!  (He only has one class this semester. It's canceled.)

Okay, snow, come on. And let's skip the ice part.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

buehrle I am going with the squirrels. Why? They are all over the place around here! Just try to find a granola bar in the back yard.

evanflein my DW has the same issue. Her cholesterol score is "high" but her good cholesterol score is off the charts. Her doctor also said, "forgetta about it!" Not that she does, but I sure wish she would.

I returned from a conference on Tuesday. The good news is that it was in Jackson Hole. The vastly better news is that the ski conditions were better than I have seen in . . . in . . . who knows how long! I had forgotten how much I love skiing! The bad news is that yesterday I tried running again. No dice. My peroneal tendon is still not right. I am going to try again tomorrow, on the TM. If it goes badly I may just elliptical. The elliptical does not stress the tendon and I figure it is better than nothing. Oh yes, at some point I need to stock up on a month's worth of eggs, milk and I forgot what. We are supposed to get a few inches of snow.   Why do people do that?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

it took a while but I now admire squirrels and even feed them dried corn-on-the-cob all winter long,

Used to think they were wimpy little mistfits in rain forests a little southeast of erika-land more known for brown and black bear, deer, wolverines, etc., . . . until they gained my admiration when one I'd trapped as a noisy nuisance from our attic bit me, . . . and came back after I let him go more than 20 miles away.  Yep, I sprayed white paint on his tail so I knew it was him. .

Gotta ask E.-why are the drops cold?  Do you have to keep them refrigerated?        

No, she has to keep them in Alaska.....

me too.

ps snow-stormers -
        If possible, get a pair of cross-country skis, even if just for the weekend,

and try walking around in the new snow a local park..

I guarantee you’ll soon be slip-sliding away

and loving every minute.

pps - the deeper the snow, the easier to keep your balance while learning.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Interesting postings today, which is why I love the daily thread.

Tramps and Tribee, I have been thinking of them

Taperboy, funny story about the squarels.

7 miles to report today on wet, sticky snow today. Not my favorite type of condition, but I had the chance to run outside and enjoy the fresh air. Priceless.

Way a MINUTE!!!!

Today is National Hugging day and nobody sent me a cyber hug....wowow.

Hugs to everyone here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Hugs to you, too, Mariposai!

Intervals on the TM today. Didn't want to deal with below zero temps and I was busy all day anyway.

8:42
            8:34
            6 x .5 mile @ 7:54 with .25 mile recovery @ 8:34
            3 x .1 mile @ 7:30 with .2 mile recovery @ 8:34
            8:34 to finish

My heart wasn't really into this run to start but got it done thru sheer stubbornness I guess. Listened to Marketplace and then the start of governor's State of the State address. Good distraction. I like to find different things to listen to since I haven't added any new music to my iPod in ages.

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I will get the squirrels and make then go run run run!!! I try to hug them. But they go run run run up in trees.

Don't put the cone on Lucy. It will make her look sad. Her Dr can give a oinkment that has a bad taste. We lick out butts and this oinkment taste more bad than that. There are things out there that are more bad than dog butt.

The people had Grandpa in like ice cream??? Ewewew......

I would like to help you find your way around when you have a boo-boo Mr. TomS.

Dad got how when it was dark. He did not just plop on the couch and think about nothing for a while. He got his work boots off and shoes on. Mom asked what he was doing and he said, "I'm taking Taggy for a run.".  I quit chewing on my baby and got all rexcited!!!! He put a leash on me though. It means I go real slow and Dad goes more fast. But we went run run run!!! When we go to the back roads, Dad let me off the leash. The critters were all quiet and I could not get  them but I still went all over. Everywhere everywhere is covered in ice cream! It's not very good ice cream. It is still ice cream. All the pine trees had lots of ice cream piled on them and it was very quiet.

Sniffing Butts, Tag