Masters Running

Starting off Saturday, 6.22.13 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I haven't really done anything yet today, but I'm sitting here, sipping my pre-race coffee, and thought I'd get the day's posts started.

It was nice to hear from lamerunner yesterday, and Congrats to her DS for his President's Award at his 8th grade graduation and, more importantly, for earning straight As for all 3 years!

Do you think Ribs is a little proud of the way Riblet is living his young life?? Seems that pride is justifiable. I think I know where Riblet gets his inspiration...

Happy 31st anniversary, Twocat! I guess you know each other reasonably well by now. I hope your celebratory dinner at Le Farm was delicious and joyful. BTW - yes you are getting old, but you've been doing that since the day you were born, so you ought to be used to it by now.

I was in Banff once, Dave. That was after our plane almost crash-landed in Calgary, and then we drove to Lake Louise without our luggage, which the airline lost, with DW and I in our NJ summer clothes 'cause it was a bit warmer there when we took off. But I digress...

100 times around a 1-mile loop, Mustang Sally? I'm dizzy just thinking about it! I hope everyone got off to a good start, and that they enjoy your "deliciously pointless" PBJ sandwiches.  Wink

HopesMom - yeah, it's all about the donuts!

Nice way to get mid-run showers, Enke. Glad you enjoyed your early, peaceful run.

Leslie, I hope you get both job offers so you'll have a choice. But it sounds like the guy at the temp job is reasonable and decent, so I hope that comes through for you.

Good on you for a nice, effortless run yesterday, Mariposai. Have a good trip to Wenatchee.

Lots of familial sports going on in the Holly household! Congrats to DDs team for being first in the league, and good luck at All-Stars.

Did I see some Tet reminiscing?

I hope you have a good weekend lead up to your anniversary on Monday, Evanflein - congrats! I've been working hard to stop banging my toes against my shoes so I can stop those dang black nails. I've never done the needle thing, but have heard from many folks that it works. "Counter-intuitive" is exactly what it is!

Divechief, that's pretty scary that Banff and Calgary are that heavily flooded. I hope you are right that Arf's home is OK, but I still feel bad for those with losses.

Happy anniversary to you too, Mike (and, of course, Mrs. Mike)!  You've got to be careful when you talk to other folks about RA posts and people, especially when it comes to TW!!  Big grin

So, we were out till 11 last night, I got up at 4:30 this morning, my right leg (outside, below the hip) is tight, and I feel a little sluggish. In other words, I'm perfectly prepared for this morning's 5K! My biggest fear is the temperature - it is already 71 (warmer than I've trained or raced in this year), and the race is still 2 hours away, and it looks like the sun will be fairly strong. I did a decent job of hydrating yesterday, and will keep that up till race time. I have to remember to not go out too fast and (literally) burn out. It's a local race, should be fairly small, and I'm really in it for the fun of it and to see how many of my fellow townspeople come out. For now, I ought to be moseying along...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay.

I got out early to beat the heat and had a nice 14-miler on a gorgeous morning.  The river was mirror-like and the deer seemed everywhere this morning.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay, I have been considering a local 5k next Saturday, but worried that since we are going to a concert with friends the night before, which will entail some drinking and later-than-normal hours, I might not be in the best condition for the 5k the next morning.  However, I am cheered to see that late nights don't stop you at all....Smile

Tramps - hard to beat the heat down there at this time of year.  Glad you had a nice run.

8.05 miles for me this morning in 72 degrees, with three fast miles in the middle at an 8:26 ave pace.  This part just about killed me, and I suspect this may be my current 5k pace.  On a good day.  No more long races for a while, so it's time to start working on speed again.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin' guys/////////

..........I'm sorry, but at the pool this morning, a rather LARGE guy showed up with Flippers and a Snorkle.......

then

whole work-out,

I have

a little snorkle putzing up one side of the pool,

turning around

and

putzing back down the other way

it's hard to poolrun and Not Laugh at the same time.....

..........32min poolrun

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Good morning folks: I am getting ready to go out for my long run with the Easy Pacer.

I came here to say Gooooo STAMPY gooo!!!!

Rembember what  Avanger dog said to you on your thread:

I will tell you two things that will help. One of them is "DO NOT CHASE DEER". you will get hollered on and later you will want to lay down before the race is over. Then the other is to say "I Do Believe in Ice Cream" as many times as it takes to finish your run run run. Then make sure you get itBig grin

Enjoy your day before your victory lap. You must be so excited!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

..also

I think everybody gets a Free Cat at the end of the race....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Happy Breger's birthday everyone!

And Holly, sorry I missed your anniversary; hope it was a good day.

Great picture of Jay on Facebook today.  You walk so fast you look like you're running.

I think I'll take the summer off from the Dallas Morning News. I'm running out of fresh stuff to write and beginning to sound like Runner's World, where they repeat the articles each year.

Did 4.9 miles this morning at the park.  Although it's now hot here, it was LESS hot than most days and everyone was raving about how nice it is to run in 88 degree weather!   Spareribs

I did the club run this morning.  It was supposed to be 6 miles, but was actually 6.9, and then I missed the turn to go back to the parking lot.  ,

How I can get lost on an out and back run on a rail trail, makes me scratch my head.  Just wasn't paying attention to where we joined the trail, and kept on going!

So ended up with 7.7.  Which made me Smile

A completely nude guy with a big fat stomach rode by on his bike, with a cooler in tow.  Yikes.  Is that legal in Seattle?

Then a fun breakfast, about 16-18 people.  I am really starting to like this group.  Diverse in ages and abilities, so very inclusive.  Met a woman doing LATEOTT.  She is also doing 13 halfs this year, for 2013.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

A completely nude guy with a big fat stomach rode by on his bike, with a cooler in tow.  Which made me Smile  I am really starting to like this group. 

What?

Spareribs I suspect the only person raving about how nice it is to run in 88 degree weather on this board is me!  I still love running in the summer more than at any other time of year!

enkephalin in Seattle?  You have to ask?  Confused  Also, try the view in Berkeley CA pretty similar as I recall.

My anniversary dinner last night was spectacular!  They recently changed chefs so that was not a guarantee.  But, Le Farm is as good as ever.  I should probably explain a bit, the owner of Le Farm also owns Whelk (both wonderful restaurants in my town) and he move his Le Farm chef to Whelk and brought in a new guy to Le Farm; from California so that was some move!

Today I am "resting" up for my HM tomorrow.  By resting I must mean standing on my feet all day doing chores.  These include such relaxing tasks as moving heavy bags of bird seed around, as well as groceries and fixing things around the house.  Roll eyes  I need a rest from my rest.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Go Stumpy go!!!!

The Easy Pacer is really taking seriously about his long runs. Another 3:10' on his feet today for a total of 14 miles. The sun and the humidity really wiped him out by mile 12, the lack of water too. Sherpa Posie was too focused on her  own LR too and totally missed the water bottle we stashed away at about mile 11.  I am so proud of the Easy Pacer for finishing his planned run. We ran home and then I went out for more miles to total 20 for the day. I am very, very pleased with my run today, specially considering that I ran a tempo run on Friday, a srpoinky 10 miler yesterday and a 20 (plan was 18, but I took the wrong loop Joking). Last LR before the light.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Ok, Mike, just you wait, I am going to consult with my brother, the ultimate prankster, about what to do with you....

Speaking of my brother (one of two), he is driving from Mississauga ON to Seattle, via Trans Canada Hwy, will be here next Wed night with his daughter.  Then going back via States.  Whole trip, 11 days.  In a small sports car, a bright yellow Lotus Elise.

Sending Stumpy good vibes.....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly, happy anniversary.  mari, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's grandmother.  lame, neat awards for your son at his promotion ceremony.  ribs, happy birthday to riblet.  Twocat, happy anniversary.  fatozzig, it sounds promising on the job front.  Good luck.  breger, happy birthday.

Nice long runs for Tramps, mari (a couple), and Easy Pacer.  Good job on the speedwork for Holly.

This morning, it was in the high 60s to low 70s, there was a light wind, and noticeable humidity.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:05 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Today I am "resting" up for my HM tomorrow.  By resting I must mean standing on my feet all day doing chores.  These include such relaxing tasks as moving heavy bags of bird seed around, as well as groceries and fixing things around the house.  Roll eyes  I need a rest from my rest.

Twocat, I hear ya!  Yesterday I "rested" for my half today by hauling a big truckload of slash from thinning the trees on our property.  We had to carry all the branches and trees my DH cut, from out of the woods up to the driveway where we could load them in the truck.  In addition to being tired, I have lots of scratches and scrapes on my arms and legs.  But we really need to thin the trees to reduce the fire danger.

But the half was fun today, anyway!  Not my best but not my worst.  The race is called the "Slacker" half marathon because it's mostly downhill, but that's kind of tongue-in-cheek because it starts at 10,800 ft.   I hung out with Mtnchk, her DH, and Seemomgo, both before and after the race.

Happy anniversary to Twocat, MikeE, Erika, Holly, and whoever else is celebrating.

Posie, nice 20 miler for you and 14 for your DH!

Go Stumpy, Go!   I predict a big marathon PR!  Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Well, it turns out that 100 one-mile laps of Beacon Hill Park is every bit as ridiculous an exercise as you might expect.  It's also a lot of exercise.

We started under a brilliant full moon, rode through dawn and sunrise, and into a beautiful sparkling day.  About fourteen of us spun a double paceline around and around - time passed quickly and we made great time.  Most of us finished right around five hours and then looped back to pick up a few of the stragglers so we'd all stop around the same time for a well-earned coffee.

Am now pleasantly tired but have staved off a nap for the time being.  That was so much fun.  What a great group of people I ride with.