Masters Running

Swampy Sunday 8.16.15 (Read 36 times)

Henry, when Marj talked about a fast 90yo man, for some reason my first thought was that she was talking about you! Sorry if I aged you too quickly.

So how do you southern runners do this?? I was a bit late getting out this morning (after 9AM) and after drinking a bit too much coffee and having a bit too much breakfast. It was brutal with the temp only in the low 80s, but with a dew point near 70. Whew -- a real soaker! Anyway, I managed about 4.7 miles at an overall pace of 11 minutes with some faster sections thrown in . I would have done a full 5 miles, but turned around early since I didn't want to run out of the shade into the direct sunshine at that point!

I hope your Sunday runs are cooler and drier...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hi Doug!  I'm with you on the H&H running!

And it's even worse when there is a schedule to keep.  I got out early, but not quite early enough, for my first 20 miler of the season.  It was a slog, especially the last 5 miles in mostly full sun and little breeze.  To make things worse, the shorts I wore, which I've done a couple of 50Ks in, decided to really chafe today for some inexplicable reason.  Made for one of the more painful showers after....

The best part was finishing the run at a kids splash pad... brought the body temp down quite nicely.  Just wish I had remembered to bring a towel to sit on for the drive home.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for the comments and help on the lamb steaks. I used a combination of:  honey, soy, hoisin, garlic, onion, Dijon, rosemary and thyme, put in food processor and it was wonderful.   Just under 3 minutes per side on a hot charcoal grill.

Bit of role reversal today Roch, as we had 77 degrees, a low dew point and sunny skies.  8.2 miles at about a 10:35 pace for me.  The Saint did the same and we both agreed it was a very pleasant day to run here.

The club I run with on weekends is an awful lot of fun, the one in Grapevine, TX.  Various members will come up with some theme for the day just spontaneously.  Today three of the members decided we'd have a mini-luau and they brought coolers of various kinds of refreshment, those pineapple-like cups to drink from, and they made drinks for all the runners: pineapple slushes with vodka and Grand Marnier, and related "tropical" bar drinks.

Our club run starts at 7 a.m., and some start earlier for more mileage, so this event was around 9 a.m.  Before our run, three young guys show up at the clubhouse, asking if they can use our restroom and have some water, which we were only too happy to provide. They were from Amarillo, TX and in town for some family event and looked us up.  So after the run, they come back to the clubhouse and here are all these people sitting around drinking cocktails, so they joined in too.  They had more fun than anyone, never having experienced anything like this before.

The Saint and I do not imbibe after runs, so she had a popsicle and I drank water.  On the way home she said to me, "I bet those guys come back and join!"  Spareribs

To make things worse, the shorts I wore, which I've done a couple of 50Ks in, decided to really chafe today for some inexplicable reason.  Made for one of the more painful showers after....

I feel your pain, Nancy! For some reason I consistently forget to use some Bodyglide in these conditions. Someday I'll learn. Or not.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Diaper rash cream works great on running rashes.

South Dakota folks are special; warm and genuine.  Like when my ultra running friend (she's doing a 100 miler next weekend) roared up on her motorcycle at around mile 23 of the marathon this am to chat...

and Elaine Doll Dunn is just such a classy RD (and she had some headaches today, e.g., race photographer was a no show, shuttle bus from finish to hotel broke).  Fortunately the spirit of the race and the natural beauty of the course prevailed.

3:31 for me, 10th overall I think.

happy Sunday

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

after yesterday's 84th birthday party for my IM mentor going back to the 1987 IMH, I got shame. .., I mean inspired to do a wet brick this morning for next weekend's annual what's-become-a supersprint triathlon.  However, after running 4.5 miles to the office for the bike and then 4.5 back plus 12 add-ons for reverse brick and the longest bike ride since IM days that ended more than ten years ago, started fading badly with about four miles to go, so will do the wet part later in the sunny afternoon. Fortunately, the supersprint cycle is only 12 miles followed by a 5K. I'd never even make it through Deezie's half-Ironman anymore.  Sure glad I did them when I could and can still keep doing the short ones. Yippeeee

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

amy - Elaine sounds as nice as her husband marathon man Jerry I met in 2000 when he was running a marathon almost weekend and three-or-four training runs one the same courses during the week to celebrate the bicentennial with 40-or-50 "official" marathon and 150 or so personal ones, unlike some others who've claim they're running marathons when they're just running some left-over marathon course by themselves, . .  and for free.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy, nice team 5K.  Twocat, good job in your wacky distance race.  Aamos, congrats on another speedy marathon.

Nice long runs for Holly and heme.  Good job on the speedwork for heme.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s, almost calm, and there was some humidity.  I did 3 miles at an 11:33 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Howdie folks. Nice runs for some folks.

Tetsujin, I would have loved to be at our mutual friend'sparty.

.No running for me since Thursday, which was my day off, then the bad smokey air plus busy weekend activities just did not give me enough energy nor desire to run. I must needed a cut back week anyway. Tomorrowis an I ther week and another day.

Cheers to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Just a little late today.  to make up for an early run (for Sunday, at least).  6.5 miles starting at 6:30 am to beat the heat.  saved the heat for the yard work later in the day.  Not sure I've completely rehydrated yet.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Amy--congratulations on your 1st place masters win.  You are an amazing runner.

This no running stuff is for the birds.  I took off the last three days to let my quad/pelvis heal up for a bit.  But, because I wasn't running, Debbie put me to work!  After walking 3 miles in the Blue Heron Days Parade with our church, we went to Grandma's house and worked all day in the yard.    The pace has been over run with weeds.  I believe it's poison sumac we're dealing with along a back fence line.  My arms and legs tingled all day and still into today for a while.  After church and mowing my lawn, she headed me back to Grandma's house and we worked for another few hours before she finally told me I could quit and we could go home.  I'm wiped out....and don't have a single running mile to show for it.

I had a talk with my DIL who has her doctorate in physical therapy and told her my symptoms with my quad and pelvis.  She is going to talk to a colleague that specializes in this area and get back to me.  She did assure me though, that a stress fracture of the pelvis is probably not what I have.  She said if that was it, I would not be able to run....I guess she thinks I'm a wimp.  It did hurt this weekend at times while doing certain things.  Bending over and pulling weeds definately hurt, but Debbie had no sympathy.  Anyway...I'm going to head on over to the track, tomorrow and do my scheduled speed workout.

Tomorrow is also a court hearing that I have to go to with Eric.  I hope it goes well for him.

Okay--I should get going.  See ya!

Good luck tomorrow Mike.

Sorry to hear about the no miles but tiresome yardwork.

So Marj and Henry  belong to a club of really fast folks.  Not surprised.

Cocktails at 9am SR?  Think I would pass too on that.

Congrats Amy!

Congrats Tet on your brick workout.

Pretty steamy 48 hours past, spent with BE.  Huge thunderstorms most of Friday and things were humid and electric the rest of the night after I arrived at BE's place.  Wink  Over an inch of rain, so badly needed here too.  The weather was supposed to clear up and be just part sun/cloud Saturday, so we decided to hike a mountain.  4.2 miles up, almost 4000 ft gain.  Took us awhile with all the chatting on the way up to summit, only to realize, no way were the clouds going to dissipate to give any view.  4.2 miles down, ouch ouch ouch, steep all the way.  Remi just flat out gave up half way down, found a damp patch of mud, dug at a little, and made his bed in the cool mud.  So we had to take a break so he could rest his weary bones.  Long day of hiking, but it went by so fast with such good company.  Then this morning I ran from BE's place to Green Lake (1.37 miles), did a short out and back to Woodlawn Park, then 2 loops around Green Lake (6 miles), wondering if Tet was in the water swimming, then back to BE's place for a total of 10 miles, which deserved a burrito and afternoon 'nap'.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Mike, I seriously doubt you're dealing with a pelvic fracture, mainly because:

1. You are not a menopausal woman;

2. You are male and accustomed to regular weight-bearing exercise (running);

3. You are male;

4. no recent falls (right??).

So, it's probably a hip flexor strain and should respond to rest and taking it easy. This is the most common hip "injury," and usually results from taking on too much for hills too fast, or too much speedwork before you're ready for it (not likely your problem).

Had a great run today, with a short break for transient knee issues. Ran 21.7 miles and felt great throughout... except for bad knee pain at 9.6 miles. Hobbled the next .1 mile to see if it would resolve, and no, it didn't. So I stopped, flexed the knee a bit and did the quad stretch, waited a bit (maybe 5 minutes max) and took off again. Fine. Just a couple more little hints of a tweak over the next 12 miles, but really ok. What a scare that was! I couldn't run at all there for a bit, totally limping with pain up the outside thigh and down the outside calf to ankle. Then... it was gone. Weird. I was on total alert for the rest of the run, and texting DH how I was doing for the duration. Weather was great for this run with overcast skies and sprinkles at the start, some sun peeking out the last half but never got warm. 1 Gu at 8.3 miles, and 1 Nuun bottle in the second half of the run. Felt good at the end so this was a really good confidence booster for fall marathons, even though Equinox is 5 weeks away.

Went shopping after getting cleaned up, and got steaks to grill. Corn on the cob and cauliflower on the grill with broccoli steamed on the stove; salad with tomatoes, basil and roasted beets (all from the garden) with blue cheese and dressing. Awesome dinner, with steaks from the Fred Meyer meat counter taking center stage!

SteveP

The best part was finishing the run at a kids splash pad... brought the body temp down quite nicely.  Just wish I had remembered to bring a towel to sit on for the drive home.

I've had more than one run end at a river. Same regrets.

Ribs, that does sound like a fun group.

Bless our spouse's hearts MikeE. If you did pull up sumac, don't burn it.  Good luck with Eric.

Erika, Yikes!

6 + hilly willy miles with Tag. We got an early start. I don't mind the H&H, however, it slows the hound down. I've been getting some striders in as opposed to simply an old man shuffle and they feel great. There is so much gratitude there.

Two weeks after crazy storms, I hit the county clean up mulch pile. Holy cripes, I didn't know where to start. As there was a great deal of activity on the highway, I took a road less traveled.

SteveP