Masters Running

Hamstring, knee pain, ITB questions (Read 687 times)

Has anyone had to deal with hamstring pulls? How long does it take to heal? Can I run while waiting for it to heal? Can the wrong shoes have caused it? Same with knee and ITB pain... Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

TammyinGP

I don't have experience with hamstring pulls, but have had ITBS - on the outside of my right knee. I ran for approx one year when I was 30 and developed ITBS. I was not very knowledgeable about running, seeking treatment, how to deal with ITBS, etc. so I just gave up running. I started running again in Jan 2006 and within about 3 mos I had the IT pain back - same spot, and it was worse this time. However, this time, I sought ART treatment with my chiro and did physical therapy for a short while also. For approximately 4-5 mos in 2006 I had very low mileage and really could not run for more than 2 miles w/o pain, so I did a little to keep myself in the running mode, but mostly focused on strengthening my legs - all those muscles, hip flexors, adductors, abductors, quads, hams. I used a theraband for some p.t. exercises and I started using a foam roller. Two years later, I still use my foam roller! I also switched brand of shoes. I can't say for sure what helped, or if it was a combination of everything I did. But I had an entire 2007 running year (only did about 900 miles the whole year though - so I'm not a big mileage runner by any means), w/o any IT pain. I did a couple HM's last year and am now training for a marathon. The longest distance I've done so far is 15 and so far, knock on wood, no flare ups. IT pain can be serious and can be debilitating, BUT if you catch it soon and take a break from running, focus on cross training and muscle strengthening and balance, it is something you can overcome (i say this cautiously though, because not everyone can successfully get rid of IT problems w/o them recurring). good luck to you!

Tammy

I had minor issues of ITB for awhile. I learned some stretches to do for it. Very effective for me. No ITB issues for over 2 years, and I'm sure it's due to the stretching. Of course as Tammy mentioned, strengthening is very beneficial too. I'll try to describe the stretch, but I'm sure if you googled it you'd find some diagrams...but here goes. While standing about arms lenght from a walll, cross right leg in front of (over) then other. Reach out right arm to the wall and lean into the wall and feel the stretch in the left hip area. Continue leaning and bend right arm to continue to lean to the right further. Try and let the left hip relax and feel the stretch on down the left side of the left leg through the knee area. Do this gently and don't pulse, just a nice easy gentle relaxed stretch. Hold for a while, then turn around and do the other side...crossing left foot in front and leaning on the left outstretched arm. If you see a diagram and description it'll make more sense. But I never fail to do this stretch and have not had IT problems for quite awhile. Good luck.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Has anyone had to deal with hamstring pulls? How long does it take to heal? Can I run while waiting for it to heal? Can the wrong shoes have caused it?
          I'm still recovering from a hamstring pull that I picked up on New Year's Eve, but it's close to being healed and I'm just starting to run on it again. I'll admit that I probably did it some additional damage by continuing to run on it for a couple of weeks or more even though it was hurting. The "root" injury was high up and was initially a pain up in my glutes, but when I kept running on it I started to feel it all the way down to my knee. So basically it can take 4-6 weeks to heal since this is a large-muscle injury that also doesn't respond much to ibuprofen, etc. It just requires rest. For the same reasons, I doubt that shoes can have anything to do with this injury. In my case, it was simply from running too hard too early in a race without sufficient warmup or stretching beforehand. I think that improper shoes are more likely to aggravate joint problems than muscle pulls.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I'm the Hamstring Problem Queen. I initially pulled my left hamstring really bad during therapy for a low back injury (a little too aggressive with the stretching on my part). However, overdevelopment of the quads has cause quite a bit of difficulty, as well, especially extreme stiffness in the hamstrings after exercise and during prolonged sitting, even though I stretch really well. The pulled hamstring can still cause me some problems, and over a year later, I don't think it's completely healed. If I quit running for a month or so, it would probably help, but that ain't gonna happen. With regard to extreme stiffness and pain after prolonged exercise, I have decreased my quad strengthening, relying mostly on my running and hill work to keep them strong, and increased my hamstring strengtheningn with various exercises. This was recommended to me by both my coach and a PT he knows who is a runner and cyclist and works extensively with both. This has been extremely helpful. If you've pulled the hamstring, you probably need to rest it and give it time to heal. After that, be sure to include hamstring strengthening in your routine. You can accomplish this by laying on the floor, putting your heels on a chair, and simultaneously lifting your butt and squeezing the ole butt cheeks together at the same time. Hold for a 1-2 second count then lower. Lift and lower 10-15 times with both feet on the chair, and 10-15 times with only one foot on the chair. If you have a stability ball, you can increase the difficulty, thereby improving the workout, by placing your heels on the ball, and do the same exercise, as well as rolling the ball to and away from you. Be sure to keep your stomach sucked in and tight, as well. Not only will these exercises help your hamstrings, but they go a long way toward strengthening the core muscles, as well. Good luck!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I appreciate the advice. I pulled the hamstring back in Sep! Been healing and recurring since then. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Laurie - September is too long! I tore some hamstring muscles or tendon for the first time on a wet and windy cold night during a muddy evening race in the darkness a couple of January's ago. I had to give in to other diversions and, except two runs below, quit running altogether for three months until the end of April and have been like new ever since (knock/knock). To my surprise, the PT said no problem to run a favorite half mary and mary in March as long as with an abbreviated stride short enough so no hamstring pain/discomfort/soreness at all and, sure enough, tiny two foot steps instead of the usual three footers got me to the finish line feeling great. Fortunately, I'm a fitness runner so takin' nearly 50% longer than normal was fine with me. Therefore, unless you've already done it, just figure out when you're gunna quit runnin' for a month or two until it goes away and you'll probably be fine. sorry. Maybe hurry too before Springtime running comes and goes. good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)