Masters Running

Shutdown Monday, 9.30.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Wow - some wild stories yesterday, and some interesting (and nasty) weather. The story of Leslie's forced evacuation, from a race organizer's perspective, terrifies me. But I am also glad that the very forward-thinking RD had a plan for that eventuality.

Mariposai, working out in the fog isn't quite so romantic when you are on your own...  Plum chutney sounds absolutely delicious! How would that go on grilled chicken?

Peabody-Essex is such a wonderful museum, Stumpy. I'm sorry we missed Faberge, but we'll have to look for other interesting upcoming exhibits.

Holly, going through a parent's belongings brings up whole ranges of emotions and memories, doesn't it?

Twocat, I used to ride MetroNorth (different line, from Dobb's Ferry), and my boss at the time (not for long) always used to blame me when the train made me late for work, even though I took a train that normally got me to the office 30-45 minutes early.

We finally finished the woodshed yesterday! With all the modifications we made along the way, it is safe to say that no one will ever have a wood shed like ours (which may or may not be a good thing...) Here are photos of the front and back.

Shed FrontShed Back

Oh yeah - SRD for me today.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

+1 to all of Jay's comments - and awesome shed!

we were on a docent's tour of the Faberge at PEM, so we got lots of background.

no running yet today, because I had to bike to my son's 4 hilly miles away to borrow a car because ours has a flat and we have a new england 65+ running club annual mtg today that you have to drive to.  fortunately today's the only day we need a car.

enjoy! marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess I'll make it three in a row for non-running.

Jay--if the new guest house is full, it looks like you could accommodate a few people in the woodshed with a tarp over the doorway.

I think the RDs for ultras must be cut from different cloth, just like the runners. Let's see--weather apocalypse across many miles of mountainous trails?  no big deal--we got it covered.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning Jay, Marj and all to follow. Wow - awesome job on your woodshed Jay! All you need is doors on the front and you could rent it out! Is that cedar and will you let it weather?

Sorry about your flat tire, Marj. At least you got a workout getting a car to use for the day!

Leslie - that race sounds like the "perfect storm" of every bad thing that could happen. I'm glad everyone made it back okay and the RD had such a good contingency plan.

Holly, I remember when my mother passed away, and my sisters, brothers and I had to sort through her things. Even though it was a sad day, we were all together and the process brought back lots of good memories and stories. She's been gone 18 years this month and I still miss her.

Our streak of incredible weather continues. Ran 5 miles yesterday, then played 18 holes of golf. It was 78° here and is supposed to be just as nice today. I was going to swim laps and pool run this morning, but didn't feel like fighting Mr. Grumpy for a lane or getting in the way of the senior ladies doing gentle water aerobics, so I ran 4 miles this morning and did 45 minutes of weights and core. Here's a new exercise I got from one of the staff at the Y. Take two 15 pound (or whatever weight you like) weights and put one in each hand. Stand on one leg and do 10 reps of bicep curls. Then switch legs and repeat. It's good for balance and your core.

"Try to remember the kind of September when life was slow, and oh so mellow..." Last day to add to your miles for this month. Have a great Monday everyone!

Tramps

Busy day so a fly-by post, but it sounds like I've got some weekend reading to catch up on.

Wow, Jay!  That looks nice; well done.  Great ventilation, too.

EZ 14 to round out the month.

Be safe. Be kind.

Leslie.  Shocked

Holly and WildChild.  Smile

10 miles at GA pace on Saturday morning

Plus

8 miles at EZ pace this morning

Equals

Tired Ole Guy

Flying to Washington DC Friday night.  Then catch a flight to Rome (via Paris) on Saturday.  (Multiple stops due to FF miles being used.)  Starting our Cruise next Tuesday.  From Rome, the Islands including Sicily and Malta, the Holy Land, ending up in Athens.  Never cruised before.  This should be interesting.  We don't have much time in Rome nor Athens.  Just enough time to see a few of the main sites (possibly come back some day if we really like them).

All packed and ready to go.   Expanding waistlines anticipated as much food and drink is expected and running may not happen much.  Trying to get some good miles in before we leave.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Quick fly by today, as I am packed and leaving for Georgia later this morning.

4.4 slow miles at the park.  Gorgeous weather we're having here.   Spareribs

Dave59

I probably would have run today.  I was leaning toward a 3 mile run to try and work on the kinks from sleeping on the ground (in a tent) Saturday night and then driving all day Sunday.  Jlynne's comment about it being the last day to run in September sealed the deal.  I saw my log was at 98 miles for the month, so I went and did my 3 to get up over 100.

wildchild

Carolyn

"Try to remember the kind of September when life was slow, and oh so mellow..." Last day to add to your miles for this month. Have a great Monday everyone!

And it's not too late to finish the month on a prime number!  Smile   ETA - well done, Dave!  101 is prime!

Byll, I hope you and DW have a greta time on the cruise!  Can you take me with you?

Tramps, you've been running some serious miles lately!  EZ 14 on a Monday?

Coastwalker, that looks way too elegant  for a mere woodshed!  I'd be afraid to put wood in it and get it dirty!

Marj, wouldn't it have been a whole lot easier and faster to change the flat tire, instead of biking 4 hilly miles?

Leslie, a friend of mine ran that Mountain Lakes 100 mile race that ended up the Mountain Lakes 54 miles.  She said her feet were frozen because most of the trail was under water.  Sounds like the RD was a real pro, and made a good call.  Kudos to you and the other volunteers and pacers that endured the monsoon to be out there supporting the runners!

I really enjoyed the road trip and race this weekend.  I drove 7 hours up to Sundance (eastern Wyoming) on Friday, ran for 7 hours on Saturday, and drove home 7 hours on Sunday.  The original plan was for DH to come with me, and take a few days to climb up at Devils Tower after the race, but he decided not to come - he said he appreciates that I try to pick races near climbing areas, but it's easier for me just to do what races I want, and for us to plan vacation/climbing trips separately from races.  Since Sundance is only 30 miles from Devils Tower, I drove up there yesterday morning for some quick sightseeing before driving home.  I ran a 2.7 mile loop trail around the tower, and my legs felt pretty good.  Then I stopped in Cheyenne on the way home to get gas and stretch my legs, and ran an easy 2 miles around a lake.  I ran into the only person I know in Cheyenne, out walking his dog!  What are the odds?

Here's a picture of Devils Tower.   DH and I climbed it back in the early 90s, and I was looking forward to climbing it again.  Oh, well, maybe someday.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I haven't read Leslie race report yet, but now am real anxious to! We had some absolutely insane crazy weather down here yesterday and it was more of the tail end of what got up north, so I can only imagine how it must have been! I'm so thankful that the trail race I was helping out at was on Saturday and not Sunday, because at least where the race was, the weather was great, although when I got home (about 20 miles to the west of where the race was), it looked like a hurricane came through with debris everywhere.  We lost power for about 12 hrs yesterday - from about 4:00 pm to 4:00 am. Glad I got my marinara sauce all canned before losing power though.

no run today -working, then having neighbors over for dinner - - - all the Chinese food I had prepped for dinner last night, until we lost power and had to go out to eat. Roll eyes

Tammy

Crunch time here with a grant application due soon.  If there was actually a chance of us getting the money, I'd probably be working harder on it.  Yes, the weather was crazy yesterday around here.

For those forum girlfriends, or guys that are that interested in knowing what's going on behind door #3, feel free to PM me.  Otherwise, this is too public a place, so I'm staying mute.  However, perhaps I can become good at inuendo.  Wink

Jay, I have serious shed envy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

what do you mean this is a public place, Enke? Isn't it only "us" here? . . Wink

Glad you are so happy - you sound like an excited, giddy girl  . . . and that's a good thing!

Tammy

I am officially a bachelor for the week.  My DW has abandoned our home for a hotel room in NYC.  There is nothing like having to rely on MetroNorth to get you around!

As to getting around I managed 20 on Saturday.  Another 8 today with zombies in chase.  Anybody expecting me to have saved them from the zombie hordes this morning was no doubt severely disappointed!  I legitimately got caught three times.  The fourth I had arrived home and stopped.  The phone announced "Zombies 100 meters."  I hit end mission.  The phone said "Zombies 3 meters."  I stabbed at the end mission button furiously.  The phone said something like "7 items dropped, zombies distracted."  Angry  Then it displayed "End mission?" I hit yes.  Grrrr

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

no particular reasion, enke, but is he a runner?

10/6 - Issaquah Runs with the Fishes 5K and Salmon BBQ

ps doublecat - no need to know who is and who isn't in bachelor status though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tetsujin, no he isn't a runner.

Tetsujin, are you running with the fishes this weekend?  I have signed up.  Although I was very disappointed they got rid of the 10K option.  Only 5K this year, but I signed up anyway.  Hope to see you there.

Twocat, I knew immediately from your avatar change what must have happened to you today!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."