Masters Running

1-30 daily runs for hump day (Read 585 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Regarding these training pace discussion... wow do we have some fast RA Masters-Boomer Goddesses! Pfitzinger recommends doing "tempo" or LT runs at 15K- 1/2MP. Dale had great comments on incorporating tempo effort into m-LR's. I tend to charge hills during m-LR's so I get a portion at LT effort. It makes the running hills fun. Kind of like long cruise intervals since the hills may be .5 - 1 mile long. Recovery is on the level and down parts. Sound... tempo pace faster than 5K pace? Don't think so.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

My 29 year old son came to me today asking to help him devise a running plan to get him in shape for football. He played at the college level briefly and has not been serious about it since. Now an independant semi-pro team wants him to come help them for the upcoming season. His goal is to be in good shape and thinks running is what will do it, so turned to me for advice. (Oh boy, he is in trouble). What are your thoughts? What should I have him doing since he is not coming from a running background and needs to start somewhere. He is 29 years old.....6' 3".....300 pounds.....lifts weights....... Help....... Thanks.
      Vista
        Sorry to jump in the middle of this marathon training/tempo pacing discussion to post my 4.4 mile run today. The first half was nice - windshirt and gloves came off after the first mile. Then I turned around at the halfway point and the wind hit me. Gee, it didn't feel so bad on the way out! My ears were cold, and I didn't have a hat, so I put my windshirt back on and put up the hood. But then I had the hood flap-flap-flapping around my ears. Oh, well, at least I got outside. OK, carry on with the discussion...
        Yep, at least you got the run in! And, btw, you weren't jumping in at all. It's all good, especially in the daily. Smile Perch, no tempos are not faster than my 5k pace. I'm not that dumb! Wink
          My 29 year old son came to me today asking to help him devise a running plan to get him in shape for football. He played at the college level briefly and has not been serious about it since. Now an independant semi-pro team wants him to come help them for the upcoming season. His goal is to be in good shape and thinks running is what will do it, so turned to me for advice. (Oh boy, he is in trouble). What are your thoughts? What should I have him doing since he is not coming from a running background and needs to start somewhere. He is 29 years old.....6' 3".....300 pounds.....lifts weights....... Help....... Thanks.
          Have him read this book for motivation and devise a plan where he runs/jogs for 1/2hr (or at least keeps moving-alt run w walk if nec) for 30 miinutes for 5-6 days a week. He'll be hooked if you can get him to do it for a month, I'll bet... http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Speed-Dintiman/dp/0880116072
            To quote George Costanza I'm back baby, I'm back! (at least hopefully). First run after being sidelined with pneumonia. 5 miles stuck on a treadmill due to black ice and very gusty winds, very little air circulation, and I loved every minute of it! The run felt pretty easy and even better no coughing afterward. Vista, your son is better off doing sprint work and recovery unless he is trying to take some weight off to play. If he does a lot of aerobic work he is training the wrong energy system for football.
              Interesting tempo discussions and run reports. Hang in there all on the DL...we'll run for you and then run with you when you are back out there. As Soundrunner said, it's all good at any distance and pace. I may be Seattle bound soon by the way. One of the principal partners of the firm is a former muckety-muck at Evergreen State College (in the 1980s) and they and Western Wash. are clients. A big project is on the horizon and I may have to go with her. She owns a great little place on Lopez Island and that's what I am really angling for......some run and play time there. I will certainly let you know. In fact, I have been looking at running camp possibilities with some of my running pals. The one in NC that I would love to do is long sold-out and the one in VT. that looks great costs way too much right now. I am working on coach Mary to set up the program if I can find the place. Stay tuned..... Uh, Skip! ahem! now that I know that strategy of yours....watch out! Back at the airport now and off to Boston soon. Until soon, CNY

Manchild

Well, I'm back from my one day hiatus! The peepers checked out fine and my son's BBall team rolled over Bourne HS by 30 pts! This afternoon, following work, I went for an easy run on the treadmill. Conditions outside bordering on harry carey. 4.5 miles @1.5% incline at 9:38-9:21 pace Slow and easy. I go to the chiro for a follow up tomorrow as the back is stiil not completely right. Some memorable weather reports out there! Chris
                  CNY, you talking about Jurek's camp? Oh how I'd love to go to a running camp... Lopez Island is beauuuuuutiful, but not exactly Seattle. Great place to cycle especially. You'd have to ferry in/out from here at least. Smile Oh, and see my avatar? If you're lucky, you'd see one or more of those on your way...
                    5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 9:00 mile pace. Dark Horse
                    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

Easy 7.6 miles @ 9:00 even in howling wind and balmy 50F temps. Felt fine. Ribs--thanks for the concern. You had me double-checking myself. My 5K PR is a 6:50 pace which (using MacMillan) puts my tempo range at 7:11-7:29. Using my 5K PR gives me a VDOT of 47. Daniels suggests a basic tempo pace of 7:10, adjusted up 13 seconds for the longer run...so 7:23. Either way, I'm right in the ballpark with yesterday's 7:18. The trickier part for me is the uneven course. I know it's not ideal, as tempos should be run on more level terrain. But I aim for steady intensity, not even splits, and make the best of it. BTW, my 5-mile PR is 7:24 pace but that's only because I've only run two 5-mile races--both in July. They're no indicator of anything except how much I hate to run in heat and humidity. Sometimes with marathon training I feel like I'm just endlessly slogging through those easy miles. I'm enjoying not training for a marathon this Spring and being able to play around with speedwork a bit. I've got a 4-mile race in a couple of weeks so it'll be interesting to see if it's doing me any good.
                      I think it was last year some time you made a commitment to really focus on your running and step it up, and this progress certainly proves what that heightened level of work has done for you. Whenever you get into one of those down times in your running, just reflect on the difference between how you are running now vs. your first joining this forum. You are running super well, and congrats. You are of course correct about that window for tempo pace at your current race performance. I would do that same workout but probably not do it for five miles. Good job. There are a handful of people I see here who weren't running at the levels back then that they are doing now. Lou is a good example, as is Perch, Tim (wa5yom) and of course the indestructible and indefatigable Breger. I've probably missed quite a few but these are the names I see most frequently, in terms of moving up on the curve and getting closer to your potential. All of you post some awesome workouts and race performances. Spareribs
                      evanflein

Roch, yes we have plug-ins all over the place. Part of the over $200 I spend for parking at work is for the electric bill. We all have timers or thermostat cards, etc on our cars, mine gets the heated garage at home (dh's truck would too, but he won't clean out his side!). Big draw on the budget when you need to plug in more than 1 vehicle. Good discussion on tempo paces. I learn so much from this group. And wildchild, the hood flapping in the wind is funny... I always hate that when you're trotting along and it's all good, then you turn around and get blown back by the wind. No wonder that outbound trip was so easy!
                          Soundrunner----How about a running camp in the Madison, WI area? That's where "Coach" is..... Jurek's camp yes and the one at ZAP Fitness in Blowing Rock, NC. One of my high school teammates runs a running camp with his wife in the Adirondacks. At present the focus is on teen runners. I am trying to convince them to add something for adults----or us overgrown kids anyway. Okay....now we are boarding CNY
                            Have him read this book for motivation and devise a plan where he runs/jogs for 1/2hr (or at least keeps moving-alt run w walk if nec) for 30 miinutes for 5-6 days a week. He'll be hooked if you can get him to do it for a month, I'll bet... http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Speed-Dintiman/dp/0880116072
                            Thanks for this. That looks like a good book. I laughed when I saw what you said about being hooked in a month. When we talked over lunch today, I had told him that if he would work to run for "28 days in order to make it a habit", he would then start to see some results and then also find his body wanting the work out. His concern is for endurance. He recognizes that his problem has always been wearing down over the course of a game. For this reason and the fact he wants to trim off some weight, I think the running will benefit him He has been doing SOME sprint work and eliptical workouts. The program that I am thinking of putting together for him will maximize tempo/sprint work but also give him some base mileage to provide endurance. Thanks Dtoce and Craneium
                            Vista
                              First off I just went over 100 miles for the month!! Yahoo. Great way to start out the year for me. Like everyone else Iwas forced inside today for 5 miles easy in 46:50 something. I am enjoying this talk about Tempo runs also. I try to put one in my weekly training now and base it on Mc Millians scales. Mine are around 8:00 to 8:18 I believe based on my last 10k of 48:20 I think. I usually use a shorter day like tuesdays 3 miler. I am training for my first marathon and am using Higdons Intermediate 1 schedule. I have been running since 1998 and my past year has been my best yet. My base is pretty good and I feel I am ready to commit to the training.I have tons to learn and really appreciate all the knowledge here. So anyway thanks everyone for sharing.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg.

just popping in to say hi. craneium, I'm glad to hear you're ok. I meant to ask about you in this post. Erika, I keep thinking about you with the weather we've been having. we'll complain, & then I'll say, but to Erika, this is warm. -). I think dh is getting a little tired of it. oh... that was scary about your car the other day. carry warm stuff, ok? want to describe your favorite stability ball exercise? I need a new one. Holly... you mentioned storage problems (for stabilitiy balls)-- I'm so behind. my best solution is have the kids move out. Big grin Doug, glad you are on the mend. I most certainly can relate to the food issues. enke, I hope you're better soon. Anachrotech, how are you? I'm still plugging along, mostly pilates or callanetics or yoga right now. and planks. sunday was a full day of assorted exercises. aka housework dale, I think I have to blame you for that one. Wink. I've had some tooth issues for the last couple of weeks, so have had to skip even trying the elliptical or anything of much duration. I have high hopes that when I have a clear bill to go ahead, that maybe my hamstring will have healed in the interim. (speaking of skip) hi Skip!!