Masters Running

Sunday, 9.6.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Busy day yesterday: I started with a 6+ mi. RW workout at the usual time, followed by breakfast with the babe at our fave. dive. Then I had to get up to Portsmouth for a racewalking training. We had a good turnout, including a guy who's been racewalking for a while but had never made it to one of our sessions before. I had seen him at some races, and had some suggestions ready for him. He has the potential to really step up his game, but I told him he'll have to get out of his comfort zone to do it. It'll be interesting to see how he comes along. Next, I was waiting for a parking spot at the farmer's market (it was unusually crowded), when I put on my glasses to read something. Something wasn't right, and it was that a lens had popped out. Fortunately it was on the floor in the car, but the screw was gone. So, instead of waiting to get to the farmer's market, I headed back home to the place where I bought these glasses, which, it turned out, was closed for the holiday weekend. So I wound up buying one, and then another eyeglass repair kit at two different olaces, and DW and I spent over an hour in total trying to figure out which screw fit, and then getting the tiny thing screwed in. After that, we had to do some baking and other prep for last night's lobster fest. We went with other folks from the neighborhood to the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound on (guess!) Chauncey Creek in Kittery Point, ME. There, you can bring anything that is not on the menu, and there isn't much, outside of lobsters, steamers, and oysters that is on the menu. You sit at picnic tables on a huge deck beside the creek. Collectively, we brought tablecloths, wine, cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail, peppers and guac, salad, mac and cheese for the 3 year-old with us, wine, macaroons and brownies, and did I say wine? Combined with the freshly-cooked lobsters, it was a great meal and a great evening (we were there for about 3 hours)! When we got home, and DW and I were unpacking the stuff we had taken, I put my glasses on to see what I was doing, and guess what? Yep, the lens had come out again. Fortunately, it was in my shirt pocket. So I got some old glasses that still enable me to see reasonably well, and will take the new ones in for more long-lasting repair on Tuesday.

Oh yeah - 10.4 RW miles this morning in quite nice 57F temps, and under clear skies.

Have a greta Sunday!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Jay, that is a meal to die for.  How I miss New England.

Steamy, overcast morning and I started at about 6:30, and ran 8 effortless miles at a pretty good clip. I wish there were a way to predict when you're going to have a day like this.  Sure was fun.   Spareribs

Hard to believe it's Labor Day weekend and we're still in the most uncomfortable stretch of weather of the summer, mainly being an issue of humidity more than temperature. So, another soaking 6-miler this morning at the monthly club run, made harder by the fact that I missed my intended cutoff for the trail portion of my route and had to do the trail loop in the reverse direction, which is decidedly harder due to the sequence and slopes of the hills. In any case, the shade was still better than running in the direct sun and on the pavement of the trail around the lake even if it meant I had to keep moving to outrun the skeeters.

I also wish I'd had Ribs's effortless run instead of this morning's sluggishness (might have been something to do with the multiple craft IPAs consumed at a gathering of old friends yesterday).

Have a good holiday weekend!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that sounds like such fun, and delicious, too.

Spent an hour or so pulling weeds in the flower beds and garden, and then watering the flowers.  The arrival of September makes me think about letting the annuals die off, but they are still so colorful, and will continue to flower until the first frost in October, so I will continue to tend them (even if the lazy part of me is growing tired of yardwork).

With Woodstock coming up next weekend, I spent some time talking to my friend Carissa, who is running the 100-mile race, about how I can be of assistance as crew for her, what we need to bring for camping, etc.  I know dg and Econo will be stopping by, so I am very excited about seeing dg again and meeting Econo for the first time.

10.8 miles for me this morning in 72-80 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...holly//............tell dg and Econo I said Hi.........

===========

90's and humid here...................I love it

30-min of two PT sessions

and

3x13-min walks

there is NOTHING better than being outside again............

......................good running guys..................have a Safe Weekend

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

This morning DW went for a walk.  Me zero.  Then I went to get the week's groceries.  It is all AamosY's fault that I saw some of the last remaining hatch chilies and bought a bunch of them!  Had she not mentioned roasting some yesterday I might have passed them up.  But, then I thought one last hatch chili dish hurrah for the season!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Hey Twocat, the link to your allrecipes page seems to be not working, or you moved it. Can you update it in your footer?

Jay, that sounds like quite the feast. Good luck with the glasses. It seems once they start doing that, it's a never ending battle.

Ribs! I had a run like that yesterday, totally unexpected. Yes, wouldn't it be nice if you could plan or at least expect your good runs? It seems the best we can do is go with the conservation of good runs theory, where a difficult last long run could indicate a really good race. But if your last long run is a breeze, watch out! I'm hoping yesterday's great run doesn't jinx my run today.

Holly, I started cleaning out the garden yesterday. It's always a bit of a bittersweet task because the garden is the first thing I think about when spring and breakup finally get here, but by mid-August I'm already kind of weary of the weeding and watering, thinning and trimming. I trimmed off the lilies, chives and other perennials that were spent, trimmed and took out the sunflowers that were done and things like that. If they're still blooming and looking nice, they stay till they freeze.

Happy birthday to Heme if she stops by!

Heading up Ester Dome today, a repeat of the run from two weeks ago. It should be nicer today though because it's dry so mud won't be an issue. Hoping for two more weeks of nice weather so the course will be dry. Don't want a repeat of the mud-fest last year!

I fixed the link.  I hope!  The real problem is that Allrecipies is broken!    They did a total "update" and totally $%#$# up the whole place.  The new design is A - W - F - U - L!!!  There must be thousands of posts around the web by now complaining to Allrecipies about this and begging them to change it back.  I have no idea if they will.  But, I am now trying to locate an alternative website for my recipe box.  I really liked that under the old version of Allrecipes you could create categories and sub-categories.  I used to have things like Main with subs of poultry, beef, etc.  I am not even sure if Allrecipes permits that anymore.  Worse, some of my folders appear to be so well hidden in the new design's confusion that I cannot find them at all.  Instead I have to do an ingredient search within my recipe box.  Anyone with a good alternative to Allrecipies that has a tree structure you can use like Allrecipies used to have?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

New skirt in town

Jay, I LOVE Chauncey Creek! We stop there whenever we can.

We are vacationing out in the Berkshires now. Yesterday we climbed Mt Greylock on a circuitous 10.5 mile route that was lovely until the last 4 miles of treacherous, seat-of-your-pants descent. I'm so proud of my son for holding up so well for what was a far more difficult hike than expected. We were rewarded at the top by watching hang gliders and para-gliders take off from the summit. Better them than me!

Today I hauled my achy bones out early and managed a17.4 run on the Ashuwillticook bike path. Then brunch and lots of museum-going at Mass MoCA and the Clark Museum, when my DH and son complained of being tired. :-)

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

evanflein

Twocat, now your link goes to the Allrecipies main page, and I can search for "twocat" and it pulls up your soda bread and pumpkin bread recipes, but that's it. It always seems that "new and improved" sites are worse than ever. Goes for websites and shoes, as far as I'm concerned.

And my Garmin is acting up again. It won't upload (computer can't see it) even though it's charging. Did that for over a week and then all of a sudden it worked and downloaded a lot of runs. I had to go in and delete the manual entries I'd done and save the uploaded entries. Then it worked perfectly for a few days, and now today, nothing. Nada. Just charging, but computer insists there's no GPS connected. I've tried the rubbing alcohol on the contacts (worked awhile ago), cleaning the port and connection on the cradle, changing ports, cleaning ports, still nothing. This is so aggravating! I want to buy a new Garmin but can't do that just yet. And it bugs me that the Garmin itself works fine for what I want it to do, it just won't upload my runs! Grrrr. So.... 15.7 miles on the Equinox course today on a picture perfect day. Made my goal target times for the various sections, until the last three miles where I pretty much ran out of gas. I blame night-before fueling, didn't really eat right for a hard long run. So, live and learn. But this damn Garmin is still driving me nuts!

Grilled leg of lamb tonight that we'd been marinating for hours, along with potatoes and salad from the garden, and broccoli that I got from the store but it is Alaska grown (from Palmer).