Masters Running

Mt. SI 50 Mile, Snoqualmie, WA my first Ultra! (Read 413 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

First of all , thank you Tet for giving me an excuse to sign up and the encouragement during training( we'll have a double celebration when we get to Carnation on 5/31!.) Being my first race of this kind, my goal was simply to get to the finish line and hopefully do it within the time limit, so I went for the early start option: 5:10 am. The alarm clock went off at 3am and I managed to drag my DH out of bed so that we could be on the road by 4:00 to drive to Snoqualmie,( about 30 miles east of Seattle) and meet up with Jon . A small group of 10 or so runners was getting ready to head out in the darkness . Head lights, flash lights and all, I'm off at the tail end of the small pack with DH planning to run along until the first aid station, about 5.7 miles out, so that my bad sense of direction doesn't get me in trouble and lost in the woods first thing in the morning. The pace is slow, I'm in for endourance nor speed, that's my motto for the day.. I finally get to turn off the flash light just before getting the the 1st station where DH wishes me good luck and heads back . I keep going to the first turnaround where the post had not yet been set up and end up going beyond by a couple hundred yards as a few other runners had done before me , just a few more steps over 50 miles, no big deal. In the meantime the bulk of the 50 Mile Utras and the Relay teams had started at 6 am and therefore, being on the first out and back section of the course, the faster runners started to speed along in the opposite direction, it was quite remarkable, I got a word of encouragement and greeting from everybody and that kept going the race long, definitely a great bunch of people out there, very uplifting ! I pass Jon as well, armed with his camera! I didn't pay much attention to the miles but after a couple of hours I realized that, while doing my pre race homework reading all the fine print on the info sheets, I seemed to have forgotten the location of the "facilities " along the course. I start asking at the aid stations and the people there just point to the woods.. Well, being a girl and a city born and raised one too, I'm not so I crazy at the idea... well I'll just have to toughen up and keep going.. After about 20 miles while I'm snacking and chatting at the aid station located next to the MT SI golf couse, the person there suggests that I look for one in the club house, why not, so there I am ,I put a smile on my face and march through the restaurant ( fortunately a very casual one!) and head for the restrooms located on the other side of the building The miles keep going ,my feet are starting to hurt and I'm afraid I have acquired at least a couple of blisters. At mile29 we have our drop bags and I decide to change my shoes: as I take them off I realize I had a bunch of stones in them, no wonder..!! Back to the trail, I'm feeling pretty good running and taking walking breaks while eating and drinking but also I realize that tend to break into walking not because I need it but out of boredom, go figure! The trail heads gradually uphill not that I noticed until some other runner pointed it out, I was expecting a much steeper ascent so that was good news! On the way down a woman starts running along and we start chatting, she was up with a team but not competing because injured and without realizing I pick up my pace to a 8:30 which felt great, I really needed to stretch my legs! It was too bad we soon reached her exchange station and team and she quit, I think I could have kept that pace much longer with some company! At about 3 miles from the finish line I hear from Jon he had to quit because of the roughness of the trail on the feet, really too bad but I'm relieved to hear from him because I had been wondering where he was since I had not passed him againg on the second out and back. Bottom line my time : 9:53:41. I am very happy to have broken 10h and to know I didn't push myself that much . Can't wait now to put myself to the test with 100K ! Thank you all for reading ! Francesca

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Franci - running 50 miles, and running it like a veteran, is a remarkable achievement for anyone, anytime but, after seeing you on on so many of the local 5/10K's and half marys over the last couple of years, just so much more amazing as you'd only run one marathon before back in 2005. Not that I would ever want to try it but your weekend 30 mile runs in horrible rain and even snow this winter paid off with as enjoyable, . . . and fast, 50 miles as I've ever known or heard from anyone. Thanks to Rod for keeping me on the course in the darkness too I'll get out-and-back photo posted asap (. . . for me) and try post the 29 mile version tonight. See you at the 20th Century 100K in May. Maybe we can get some more boomers too. BRAVISSIMO

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Congratulations on a great 50! It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself without too much stress and strain. Keeps me hopefully for my first 50k next month.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I put a smile on my face and march through the restaurant ( fortunately a very casual one!) and head for the restrooms located on the other side of the building The miles keep going ,my feet are starting to hurt and I'm afraid I have acquired at least a couple of blisters.
          Wow, I was starting to think about how many miles long this resaurant was....?? Smile Seriously, Congratulations on your first Ultra! You executed a very good race plan and did very well. Thanks for writing up such a nice RR and sharing with us. Good luck on the upcoming 100K! John
          huskydon

50 miles, wow! You write about it in such a matter a fact way, but this is quite an accomplishment! Very nice to break ten hours too. Congratulations!!!! I am also envious of you being able to meet up with Jon and run in my old stomping grounds. (I actually have played golf at the Mt Si golf course many eons ago). Rest up, and thanks for the wonderful report! huskydon

GreenMan

That's Francescatastic! I loved this report. 50M is a big challenge and you didn't shy away. You even broke 10! You can do anything now. jjj
              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                You Ultra people are NUTS! But seriously, what a great run you had, breaking into an 8:30 pace, and walking just to relieve the boredom. Pretty awesome! Please don't tell me the race went up to the top of Mt. Si or I'm gonna faint. enke

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

arf

MM #405

Francesca - CONGRATS on a fantastic race!!! The part about you going to find a restroom in a restaurant made me laugh. Are you running the Century 100? I am in Seattle quite often and hope to meet you sometime Smile arf
                    wow - that is amazing - i can't even begin to imagine running that far and in under 10 hours!! NICE JOB!! Big grin Big grin

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow! Great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I am sure this was a monumental effort, but you made it sound so easy. Congratulations!!!!. You are an amazing ultra goddess Francesca.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Franci - not that I know anything about it yet but you and Mr.Maniac might want to check with Coach Coastwalker on those arms (or are you just showing me what not to do?) Big grin enke - me too about thinking all these years about Mt. Si being in the 50 miler, . . so I chose the White River 50 for my first 50-miler two years ago, . . and was shocked when it turned off the rolling river trail to climb more than 4,000 feet up to Corral Pass and then go down to the river again only to go up nearly 4,000 feet again to Sun Top Mountain. Go figure!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)