Masters Running

40's on the run (week of Sept 7-13) (Read 382 times)

Top 'O the World!

How much are ya payin' me? Oh! wait, I don't qualify... Big grin Doh! and you said "donate!" Seriously! we do put alot more money into less valuable "stuff" - research & development of mouse traps! and we won't discuss political $$.... than purely beneficial human development, & health & fitness studies, etc! and then you hear the random, "Stanford University (fill in the edu or what have you) studies indicate..'excercise is good for you, extends life expectancy, etc'...." I read this & think, "DUH! KNOW that (common sense!)... now go study & tell me something I don't know for a FACT!) Like - what's specifically what's going on hormonally, metabolically, etc. in endurance athletes...(being vague and general here...) There was a pretty good program (not as in depth as I would have liked) on National Geographic awhile back - talking about the body's physiological response to extreme events - fear/stress - adrenaline...but not extreme training...what makes genetic "talent" (in anything) & can you overcome it through sheer grit & training? & to what degree....on this note, & out of curiousity, I ordered Dean Karnazes book 50/50...I really should spend more time at the library instead of on Amazon.com... Roll eyes Watching the news this am (all week really) & thinking about the Houston/Galveston folks! Had some friends who fled N.O. coupla yrs ago - moved their law ofc to Houston! damn! I think they need to move back to CO... current weather conditions: 48* F/93% H light drizzle - to continue throughout the day.....
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! I'm back! We got home late last night but when you're on Utah time it's not that bad-until today...I can hardly think straight and know what day it is! Good thing I don't have a day job to perform at Big grin We had a great time in Utah. Jack finished 3rd overall at Wasatch which he's very pleased with. He finished in 21:47 so he got inducted into the Royal Order of the Crimson Cheetah for finishing under 24 hrs. Not bad for someone from the right coast Big grin We checked out Moab after which wasn't bad. We ran around the Arches National Park-I guess no one else runs around there because everyone was looking at us kinda funny. We went mtn biking-Jack did the famous Slickrock Trail. After falling over twice within a quarter mile on the practice loop, I knew to call it good and wait for Jack at the car. We did an easier loop that had flat slickrock portions as well as dirt. Slickrock is not slippery btw-it's like fine sandpaper so the tires really do grip well and your skin still scrapes off when you fall Wink I liked being up in the mountains better. A lot cooler temp wise and just more my style with tall trees and dirt trails. I did a quick scan of all the posts-looks like everyone is doing well. I have lots of catching up to do so I'll check with you all later! Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        Jack finished 3rd overall at Wasatch which he's very pleased with. He finished in 21:47 so he got inducted into the Royal Order of the Crimson Cheetah for finishing under 24 hrs. Not bad for someone from the right coast Big grin Kelly
        Way to go, Jack! He da man! "Royal Order of the Crimson Cheetah" ??? That's too funny! Long run this a.m. 8 miles in 1:24:43. Legs felt pretty heavy for about the first half. Not sure they loosened up so much as resigned themselves to the fact that I wasn't going to stop. One of my beloved bosses is a hoverer, and he's hovering. Drives me kind of nuts. Guess I'd better get back to work.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Welcome back Kelly and congrats to Jack!! That is some awesome running for him, WOW!! Leslie- just the time that you need to have a "gas " problem. Evil grin Hope Carol's ok with Ike coming her way.

Leslie- just the time that you need to have a "gas " problem. Evil grin
            Oh, after last night's dinner, I could definitely pull that off. Give me a sec . . . . Dead

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hmmmm....this thread seems to have a certain ripeness to it Surprised Leslie, good luck with creating a little "shroud of privacy" Big grin Glad to see everyone doing so well! Leslie, I had one of those runs this morning, trying to get in 8 before the hurricane moves up here. It was so sucky that I bagged it after 6 of about 2/3 running, 1/3 walking and stopped by a friend's house to see if she had made it back from Houston in advance of the storm. She had, so we visited before I walked another mile home. So 7 miles on my feet, but can't even really call it a run. Very humid for the past couple of days. From Ike we're expecting mostly just heavy rain and winds around 40 mph, but are prepped to possibly lose power. My pet sitting clients have cancelled for the weekend and I'm glad. One was supposed to leave on a cruise out of Galveston on Sunday (NOT). Sorry gotta go back to work now. No boss looking over my shoulder here at home, but more work than time these days. Happy weekend!
              Progress Trumps Pefection
                From Ike we're expecting mostly just heavy rain and winds around 40 mph, but are prepped to possibly lose power.
                Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Congrats to Jack on an incredible time and distance. You people amaze me. Leslie, sounds as though your runs have been really, really good ones for ya. Positive runs is what you need for your marathon coming up. Stay safe Carol and 7 miles is 7 miles. Arla, way to stay with it all summer through the heat and all. Like you said, you've got a marathon coming up so ya can't be slackin'. Hello to the fellow's Joe and Jim! 4 miles yesterday for me.........Jewels P.S. I so need this weekend to catch up on my school stuff and my housework. I HATE a messy house. I just can't think straight when things are everywhere and things aren't clean. And right now, I'm not thinking straight as I'm scoping things out around here!
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Bailed on my run this morning. We left early yesterday morning and got home after midnight to the Husker Harvest Days trade show and equipment exhibition at Grand Islandhttp://www.huskerharvestdays.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=DD119F7894C24EBC81CD4D0619162307, figured we probably walked 8-10 miles at the show site so some crosstraining anyway. Couldn't make myself get outa bed early this morn so just went right to work getting wheat seeding equip ready, came in for lunch and it was raining hard by the time we got done so got a nap in Smile then went to the shop and picked up our mess from the big scale install project of the other day. Anyway got about another physical half day before we can seed wheat but with the rain doesn't look like we will plant any until monday. I think my whole week would have been a candidate for the "dirtiest jobs" show! Pioneer seed fed us a steak customer appreciation dinner tonite with swag and announced 15% price increase. Supper was fantastic but no alcohol served cause of the mennonite farmers that come, bummer. I plan on running in the morning and should get a decent long run in Sunday. welcome back Kelly congrats to Jack, Moab is cool from the pics I have seen but I am more of a mtn person also. Carol hope you don't lose power and stay safe. Leslie dead legs suck, funny how you reached a compromise with them, they could stay heavy if they wanted but they weren't getting out of the miles. Joe, Arla and Cindy interesting discussion! Training and phsysiology and how it relates to humans and canines, oh my. Jewels our house looks like a tornado hit this week, like we just walk thru to eat change clothes and sleep. MTA got a little run done this morning in town on the 5k course, turned into a tempo run I guess, Lynda did 2 laps on it for her LR. Our roads are way soupy to run on so much easier in town.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Happy Saturday, folks. We ran the Headwaters today. 11 miles in 2:35:19. It's been so long since we went the whole distance out there, we both forgot how much climbing is involved. Needless to say, it's a lot of fun coming out since it's mostly downhill. They've also done a considerable amount of work on the trails and have re-routed a good chunk of it. For some reason, though, the inside of my knee is really bothering me now. Will have to discuss that in depth with my MAT person on Wednesday. It hasn't bothered me this much in awhile. Hmmmm Confused The Hub called from work and won't be home this evening. College football and BBQ a someone else's house, and no, I'm not invited. It's a guy thing. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself the rest of the day. I guess I could clean house, but why?? Big grin Speaking of tornado houses - mine depresses me right now. Our kitchen, which is part of our great room/ living area, still looks like a storm struck it right now. We need to clean out some shelves in the garage before we can put away all the jars we canned. And next weekend, I've lined myself up to can 2 lugs of tomatoes after a 3-hour run. I think I've lost my mind. Carol - How'd you guys survive Ike??

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance