Masters Running

Palos Verdes Half Marathon RR (Read 333 times)

huskydon

Short Version: Ran very well on a tough course (1:50:22). Not quite a PR (1:49:53), but would have been on a flatter course. Met up with Dromedary & Huz briefly. This is one of the smaller events in Southern California with about 200 marathon finishers and ~700 half marathoners. The race is known for its marvelous ocean views. It is a local race for me, plus I love the small town feel of the race. The date of the race this year was changed in order to not conflict with the LA Marathon and I think it affected the turnout (the Orange County Marathon, I believe, is also this weekend). At the start, it was very windy, and I was concerned, but it really didn’t come into play at all. The temperature was 60 degrees and it was overcast during the entire race, so conditions were very good. I had run the Palos Verdes Half Marathon in ’07 with a time of 1:55:29 (57:07 out and 58:22 back). For past half marathons, I had been running about 25 miles/ wk with a 10 mile long run. But for the past three months, I have been running just under 30 miles a week with a long run between 11-13 miles. I definitely felt strong today. Knowing the hilly course helped me parse out my energy pretty effectively. Link to elevation map (note: the map looks worse than it actually was): http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakerome/14238162/ (not sure how to make link work??) In the last five miles, maybe only one or two people passed me and I felt strong all the way. You know how when you are suffering and each mile is an eternity? When you are going well, the miles just click by and before you know it the race is over. It felt that way today. Usually, I eat a fig Newton at mile 10 or so, but I felt so good today I didn’t feel I really needed it (But I ate one anyway. Hey I lugged it around for 10 miles, I might as well use it). My out and back split today: 55:58 + 54:24. The mile splits were so inaccurate they were pretty much useless, e.g. 1: 8:18 2: 7:55 4: 19:16 5: 6:39 (yeah right) 6: 9:04 Halfway: 4:45 Fashion report: orange tank top from Walmart, royal blue Brooks shorts, Adidas socks, Asics Gel Cumulus 9’s (882 miles on these puppies!) They had sliced watermelon after the race, and for me, it just doesn’t get any better than that. (I typically can’t eat “real food” for a few hours after a race). Somehow they missed giving me a medal & I had to go back and retrieve one. I was 8th (out of 30+) in my AG. No goodie bag, but some free stuff at the booths. I waited for one of my co-workers to finish the marathon. I met Dromedary & her huz briefly before the race. I also spent some time with Steve (forgot his screename), travelmama, and jakerome from the Runners World California Forum. It was a good day.
      Great race even though it was not a PR. Of course we wish they all were but they cannot be Big grin . I also love watermelon. Lately I have been buying a seedless one every couple of day. Very refreshing. Congratulations. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice race, and you get a gold star for a prompt report! Did you really run on shoes that have 882 miles on them? Shocked Time for some new ones, I think!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Very happy for you Don. There is nothing fun about running in PV! Good hill work! Spareribs
            Good racing Husky!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sounds like a good omen in case you can ditch your bros in the relay division and just keep going all the way in this year's Green River Marathon. ps - I agree with the junk-the-shoes advice. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good job, husky. It sounds like you ran well and almost got a PR. Meeting up with dromedary and her husband is a neat bonus. Congrats. TomS
                coastwalker

Hi Don, Nice job on a challenging course: Negative splits, a very nice improvement over last yea's time, and only about half a minute off a PR. Well done! Add me to the list of those who think it is past time for some new shoes!!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good racing Husky, I have to say I am with the majority to celebrate with some new shoes. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

Good racing, Don! Glad to hear you felt so strong on such a hilly course. Congrats.

Be safe. Be kind.

You know how when you are suffering and each mile is an eternity? When you are going well, the miles just click by and before you know it the race is over. It felt that way today. It was a good day.
                        I'll say! I love what you said above and when I feel that way (not often enough either!) I want to run forever. Great running huskydon and thanks for wearing my high school colors too!
                          hi Huskydon, you did GREAT!! Those are fabulous splits considering the hilly course. It sure was windy when we saw each other (for you RA folks out there, he was heading back to his car to keep warm while Huz and I were searching for porta-potties). Like you said, the wind wasn't an issue later and we had IRC. Here's the link to the elevation chart from the marathon site (hope it comes out): http://www.palosverdes.com/Marathon/elevation%20chart.pdf

#artbydmcbride

Great job huskydon! The weather there was great compared to the 90s last year. I really missed not seeing you and Mr. Mrs. Dromedary, but I promised my legs a flatter course after Big Sur. Smile

Runners run

Great job on on running strong the whole way, so close to a PR too. With splits like those, maybe you should invest in a Garmin? (and a new pair of shoes!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Great job, Huskydon! Pretty darn close to your PR, too. I'm not big on watermelon, but my last race had orange slices after the race, and I know just what you mean - for post-race food, they were the bomb. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."