Masters Running

Saturday November 21 Just-Ducky Runs (Read 32 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I saw a glorious sky on my run this morning, thin lacy clouds in brightly changing pinks and oranges.  I even stopped a couple of times just to look at the sky.

Also, I saw a group of ducks on the river, 4 or 5 adults and one baby duck.  Bizarre, this late in the season, but it was definitely a baby duck, not a newborn but not very old either.

14 miles for me this morning in a breeze 38 degrees.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin' holly......

40's here, cold front blowing thru later today 20's tonite

============

BUT NO SNOW

.............40-min PoolRun, cf, nb, running in the shallows>>>>>>>>YOWZA

when I was changing out, I talked to one of the regulars

it went something like this-

''you still pumping iron?''

''yeah, and running on the treadmill''

''great, how's the foot doing?''

''really hurts''

''well, if you ever decide to PoolRun let me......''

''I want to run another marathon, I've done three''

''thought you had a hurt foot''

''yeah, it really hurts''

''well, if ever you decide to PoolRun I can...''

''maybe I can run a spring marathon''

''but you said your foot hurt''

''it really does, I couldn't even run a 5-k''

''well, I've been PoolRunning about 7-years, so if ever....''

''I really want to run another marathon''

''errrrrr,,,,,,,,,,, ok, let me know how you did''

to quote Dr Bookspan-

.........''.if you have a Really Good Idea,

people won't beat a path to your door, YOU'LL HAVE TO RAM IT DOWN THEIR THROATS''

http://www.drbookspan.com/fitfix-index.html

..........good running guys.........if it hurts when you Do Dat,  DON'T DO DAT!!!!!!

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

TW-LOL- unfortunately that sounds like many of us-you can't keep a runner down- despite reality., as you well know.

I didn't see any duckies on my run today but I saw duck boats in the Charles River and many Eagles (Boston College fans) and the wearing of the green as they get ready for the big game (BC vs. Notre Dame) atFenway Park tonight.

A beautiful morning here (sunny and mid 40's) as I ran along the Charles for a 10 miler - the longest I've run in over 2 years and it felt great.

Congratulations Henry on your longest run in 2 years!!

Poor little duckling, hope he/she makes it through the winter

TW - that was hilarious!!

Cold and frost on the ground, but I think this is my second favourite running temperature - between 32 and 38F.  Because the sun was shining and if you dress right, it just feels great to get that fresh air and cold legs.  My first fav temperature would be 55F with light misty drizzle.

5 miles with Remi.  Lots, I mean lots of stopping to sniff.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Yes, hilarious tw, but for the 20 degrees!!  Just got to the hotel and cranked up the heat.  Nice morning at the farmers market and Bicentennial Mall.  I learned lots about Tennessee.  Got DH his ribs, at Martin's, where there is not a freezer or microwave in the place (meaning, everything is fresh).  He is a happy man.

Way to run Henry.  Sounds wonderful.  Hope Marj is getting better.

No miles for me.  No ducks yet, but we are off to the Park.  The cooler temps and everyone acknowledging fall is making me crave apples.  Didn't see any at the farmers market, but there were abundant quantities of kale, turnips and cabbage!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Nice run, Henry!

tomwhite, that could be many of us... I hope he takes you up on it eventually.

I left for my run this morning while DH went to the airport to pick up DS2 coming in from Honolulu. It was foggy and overcast with sprinkles and almost no wind when I left. Figured it would stay that way. Nope. The sun came out and there I was with no sunscreen. Oops. Still had a good run though, felt much better today after a big dinner last night. Stopped about a mile from the hotel to watch a seal bobbing around in the ocean! Very cool, don't see those guys so close very often. Then we all went out for lunch and now hanging around the hotel until time to go back to the airport and pick up DS1 and his GF, coming in from Fairbanks by way of San Diego. Oy, that's a long trip. We'll take them over to the condo, feed them dinner and then come back here for one more night. Our condo will be available tomorrow. MIL doesn't come till Tuesday so we'll have a few days just with the kids.

TammyinGP

I ran today, so I wanted to make sure and mention that, since it doesn't happen often. Today's run of only 3.5 miles gives me 9 miles for the month. boo!!

tom, no significant injuries that I can blame for lack of running. Summer got me out of the routine and groove. entirely too hot here ( most 100+ degrees on record), plus smoke from a plethora of forest fires around us that would blow smoke into our valley and just leave it sitting here for weeks, AND then my inability to get motivated once I actually could run again, are the blame. Plus, since David didn't run XC this year, I didn't have the after work opportunities to run while he was at practice like I used to, so just a combination of factors made me lose my mojo.

We did acquire a new furry family member in early October. took in a black lab rescue who will be 9 in February. so, now we have 3 black labs and the elderly Annie is proving to now be the most energetic and playful of the bunch once we got her on some holistic supplements to help her arthritis. She had been in heavy prescriptions for pain and anxiety and we've been huge improvements in her mobility and disposition since she began living with us.

tomorrow should be our last nice day before we drop about 20 degrees with potential of snow by thanksgiving, so I think I'll do something real crazy like run 2 days in a row. Maybe even go for a long run of 4 miles tomorrow!

Tammy

Tammy, "hi".  henrun, congrats on the ten miler, longest in 2 years.  Holly, nice long run.

My "at least one race each calendar month" streak is approaching 12 years.  My Nov race was this morning.  It's a 5K that I've done every year since 2001.  Last Thurs, as I was finishing a 3 miler, my left knee started to hurt and when I stopped, my left hip hurt.  The hip hurt the rest of the day and yesterday it was better but not great.  Then the weather people were talking about a terrible snow storm all day today.  I looked for another race this month and didn't find a good one to try so decided I'd get ready for my planned race and see what happened.  When I got up, my hip wasn't too bad and it hadn't started snowing yet so I headed out.  On the 45 minute drive to the race, I decided to forego my normal mile warmup in deference to my hip.

Just as the race was about to start, a few snowflakes began to fall.  The temp was in the mid 30s and it was almost calm so the weather was cooperating.  I plodded along and didn't feel my hip until I was about a half mile from the finish and decided to push the pace a bit.  My hip spoke to me and I decided to not push the pace and my knee went back to being happy.  Snow fell during the entire race and melted on the road and on us runners.  When I finished, I was a little damp and could barely see through my glasses.  My Garmin gave me a time of 32:14, distance of 3.14 miles, and a pace of 10:16/mile.  I saw a lot of my friends, finished 1/1 in my AG (65+), and won a turkey.  I don't know how I placed overall since results haven't shown up online yet.

Even though my hip was fine, I decided to play it safe and not run a cool down.  On the drive home, it was continuing to snow lightly but was melting as soon as it hit the road.  All in all, it was just as well I went and am happy with the results.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Yay!  I'm glad you won a turkey, tselbs.

I walked 7 miles around & about the terminals at Chicago O'Hare.  Got here almost 9 hours ago and am still stuck here.  Once I get to SFO I might have time to walk around there, too.   Now, understand that the walks were interspersed by indulgence in lots of junk food.  :/

My "at least one race each calendar month" streak is approaching 12 years. 

Nice streak, Tselbs!  And congrats on winning a turkey!

(My cat, Goofy, is laying on across my lap and on my right arm as I try to type this.  Helpful . . .)

Good luck to the Flying Monkey marathon runners!!!

TomS - You made me snort.

Henry - The Hub is watching the game, even as I am typing this.

10 miles this morning at the McKay.  Even though I told myself I was going to keep it easy (aka boring), I decided to take the left-hand turn at the 3-mile mark and do a couple of miles of climbing and slipping and sliding in the mud.  I actually halfway enjoyed myself!  My legs were so tired by the end, I couldn't help but think, "And I'm doing a 50k in February??"  But then again, I always tell myself that stuff at the beginning of a training stretch.

I'm definitely having issues with my left hip flexor, and if working on loosening my hamstring doesn't fix it, I'm going to have to get professional help.  It's a problem I've had off and on over the years, but I think I've sort of screwed around too long this time . . . maybe.  Will give the stretching and rolling a week and then we'll see.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Tammy--it is really nice having back.  I know I see you on Facebook but, for some reason it's not the same.  Maybe because, on Facebook, we're all friends...in here, we're more like family.  Whatever--welcome back!

Nice run Henry!

Holly--every time somebody talks about baby ducks, I think about my mom.  She loved baby ducks.

This must have been a day for me to remember my lost loved ones.  I spent most of my day at the high school, watching two of my granddaughters in a basketball tournament.  The 7th grader has finally grown in to her lanky body and has gotten pretty dang good.  As I watcher her, though, I couldn't help think about how much my sister would have enjoyed watching her play.  Although...my sister was pretty brutal on the refs.  She would ride them from the second the game started to very end...it was pretty embarrassing, to be honest...but I would have put up with, today, to have her sitting next to me.

Wow...what has gotten into me?  Sorry...let's see...what else is happening in here...

Yeah, TW, unfortunately, you could have been talking to me.  (As I sit here with ice bags wrapped around both heels, rolling a frozen water bottle under my left foot, and trying to figure out which marathon to run in January or February)

"Favourite"  I love how Canadians misspell so many words.  Does that really tall, good looking guy with--what...green...or are they brown--eyes ever comment on your spelling, Enke?

Amy--don't you have a marathon tomorrow?  You're crazy!

I am really jealous of you Erika.  Hawaii with your kids.  Wow.  I will be there in a few years...I hope.  I am planning on that being my 50th state.

Wow, Tom!  A race every month for 12 years!  That is amazing.  Congratulations!

Airports have plenty of junk food, Econo.  You could switch to drinking.

I did 5 on the treadmill, today.  I've been running on the treadmill for the last two days so I could keep a watch on my butt pain...and, if started hurting like it did the other night, I could just stop.  But--fortunately, there has not been too much pain.  So, tomorrow, I think I'll try another run outside and get this running thing back in gear...I want to do a marathon in the spring!

Okay--gotta go--see ya!

Hi Leslie!  Didn't see you sneak in.  Good luck with that hip!

Mariposai

I am late to he party, but I wanted to dance cha,cha,cha for Henry to celebrate his longest run in a while.

Erika, enjoy the kiddo.

I did have to work today. I a bit behind with my 2016 budget work. After work, I did run 5 miles with 3x800 meters.  Lovely sunset run.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - was the baby duck all downy brownish with soft yellowish stripples like little ducklings or more solid-colored, well-shaped, adult feathers  maybe like this little green-winged teal adult colored much like adult mallards but about quarter-size when full-grown?  In the meantime, in another out-of-season phenomenon, I have to wonder what enke was sniffin’ this time of year, . . . maybe isolated remnant Sitka roses that are occasionally still barely hanging on or maybe early winter Higan cherry blossoms that seem to have no idea when it's winter?

. .

green-winged teal (adult)

www. audubon. org / sites/default/files / /Green-winged-teal

ps - good jobs henry and also tom's 15-year November 5K race streak. <<<(envious/envious)>>>

amy - take tom's advice and "defer/defer/defer" in case your hip starts squawking too.

leslie too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I know I see you on Facebook but, for some reason it's not the same.  Maybe because, on Facebook, we're all friends...in here, we're more like family. 

This is exactly how I feel.....

Henry and TomS - well done!

Tet - I wasn't close enough to tell, but since it was swimming with the Mallards, I assumed it was one of their ducklings.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

''Airports have plenty of junk food, Econo.  You could switch to drinking.''

......I love it.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....